Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One problem after another!! (Cam install)

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 10:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One problem after another!! (Cam install)

So first off I took my car to a reputable car shop. He pretty much butcher the first cam as hard as that is to do. then he replaced a cam bearing and didnt get it pressed good so it went spinning off into the block. So finally the motor is out of the car and at a machine shop. there the guy assembled it with new cam bearing, cam, and retainer. hes says the motor wont turn over when the cam retainer bolts are tightened but it does when they are loose. It is the G5x3 cam. Does anyone know what could be the problem? Are there any torque specs for the cam retainer? If everyone is lost dont bother to telling me. I cannot come up with an explaination and neither can them.

the cars been down fo 4 months any input would be appreciated

thanks Corey
Old 09-13-2006, 10:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

2 things that have emmerged over the years with cam retainer plate:

1> unnusual wear on cam retainer due to a design flaw in system (poor oiling). Vinci has a cure on his site.
2> The core of the cam where the retainer is resting (lip) is not to proper tolerance. Distance between retainer and bearing lobe is too small. There used to be a pic floating around but I can't find it to show you.
To see what I mean, put the stock cam upright and rest the retainer plate on it. Measure the distance between plate and first bearing lobe.
The aftermarket cam should have the same. Some cores are ground to wrong spec.

And yes there are trq specs for cam retainer (there is trq specs for every bolt in motor, some more crutial than others).
For retainer bolts it is 18 lb/ft.
Old 09-14-2006, 04:38 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by camSSaro
So first off I took my car to a reputable car shop. He pretty much butcher the first cam as hard as that is to do. then he replaced a cam bearing and didnt get it pressed good so it went spinning off into the block. So finally the motor is out of the car and at a machine shop. there the guy assembled it with new cam bearing, cam, and retainer. hes says the motor wont turn over when the cam retainer bolts are tightened but it does when they are loose. It is the G5x3 cam. Does anyone know what could be the problem? Are there any torque specs for the cam retainer? If everyone is lost dont bother to telling me. I cannot come up with an explaination and neither can them.

thanks Corey
Any chance he put the wrong bolts in? Maybe swapped them with the oil pump bolts (which are a tad longer).
Old 09-14-2006, 05:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

wats vinci cure?
Old 09-14-2006, 05:31 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by camSSaro

thanks Corey
the bolts this guy is useing in the cam plate are to long they will hit the crank.use shorter bolts
Old 09-14-2006, 06:07 PM
TECH Addict

I don't think it's one problem after another - it's one problem - the people working on your car don't know what they are doing.

Take your engine and your car to someone who does.....it is not going to get better from what I see with these guys doing the work.
Old 09-14-2006, 06:48 PM
On The Tree

is there any end play in the cam with the retainer plate on, if not then somthing is wrong with your cam, and as far as the cam bearing coming out they are numbered and they are diff sizes so they go is a specific spot plus the holes not lining up.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by speedyss
is there any end play in the cam with the retainer plate on, if not then somthing is wrong with your cam, and as far as the cam bearing coming out they are numbered and they are diff sizes so they go is a specific spot plus the holes not lining up.
That's a good point. With the cam in there, hold the plate on and with the sprocket off there should be plenty of play. If the there is no play then the cam or the bearings are the problem. If there is, put the bolts in, if it then won't turn the bolts are the problem.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:14 PM
10 Second Club

i had my mains on there all backwards... motor wouldnt turn over. i fixed it and the motor turns over GREAT now
Old 09-15-2006, 03:40 PM
Staging Lane

the main bolts to my knowledge werent touched. as far as the retainer bolts go I pretty sure they were labeled correctly and should have been put in the right holes. but then again you guys have an understanding what I am dealing with. Thanks for your replies. I will relay the information
Old 09-15-2006, 06:45 PM
Staging Lane

Well things actually turned out great. to find out he was using the first ruined cam and not the new one. The cam step on the first cam was too big causing it to snug up against the cam sprocket when tightened. the new one is in and the cam is turning over smoother than ever. has anyone ever recieve a cam from comp that wasnt ground to specs? there is sufficient mplay. Im really excited to get the motor back in the car!!
Old 09-16-2006, 01:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Omg...
Old 09-16-2006, 04:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ROB55
the bolts this guy is useing in the cam plate are to long they will hit the crank.use shorter bolts
That is EXACTLY what is wrong and honestly I wouldnt trust either of these guys to mow my lawn!!!!
Old 09-18-2006, 05:31 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by MiaSSmaro98
wats vinci cure?
http://www.vincihighperformance.com/...20PAGE%20.HTML about 1/3 the way down. it's about an oiling and wear issue.
Old 09-18-2006, 05:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by speedyss
Since when are cam bearings different sizes? They should be all the same size... I had a machine shop put mine in and my cam turns free but gets a little rough in some spots. Is that normal?
Old 09-18-2006, 05:42 PM
10 Second Club

have been that way since the original SBC. there are three different sizes. and have to be placed in the block in order.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

so we get the crane chain which has a bearing in the back
Old 09-19-2006, 09:04 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jay_99z
Any chance he put the wrong bolts in? Maybe swapped them with the oil pump bolts (which are a tad longer).
Been there done that I'll bet money on it. Good luck.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

He already figured it out ^ read. But I'll still bet you.

My cam bearings didnt have any numbers on them...