General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Help with codes (P0308 & P1416)

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 10:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help with codes (P0308 & P1416)

Lemme start off by first saying that my car has been running like crap for the last couple of weeks which seemed to start when we took the car on a pretty long road trip 2 weeks ago. As of right now when my SS sits overnight and when I attempt to start it the cars intake starts making this suction type noise much like a vacumn cleaner to the part where its ready to suck your hand up into the lid but then proceeds to go away after a minute or two of sitting in park. I also am experiencing really low idle when I put the car in reverse and drive but I was finally pleased tonight to get a SES light hoping this will guide me on where to start. Whats weird is I had 3 codes total 2 of them being the exact same (P0308) which displayed "Cylinder 8 misfire detected" and the last one (P1416) which read "Auxiliary emission controls". If anyone can shed some more light on this for me i would greatly appreciate it.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well as far as code diagnosis/repair goes imo always take care of the first code first. In this case the cylinder 8 misfire. Reason being a lot of times the second and third codes and after effects of the original code. I would start of with a tune up if u have not done one recently or at least change the # 8 plug and make sure it is properly gapped. Let me know if u need anymore help or if that code goes away when u do the plug change.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:04 PM
Staging Lane

I think you make a good point when you say one code might be effecting the other and therefore I will pull the #8 plug and see how it looks. I should point out looking back at my service records I keep that i put all new plugs and wires on the car about 15,000 miles ago roughly about 2 yrs. ago so i would hope that plug is in decent shape but who knows? Is it at all possibly the coil pack may have gone bad or would that throw another code? Thanks!!
Old 09-27-2006, 11:14 PM
On The Tree

im not really sure if the coil pack mot working would cause a code to pop up, but if you have a multimeter you can backprobe that coil pack and see if ur getting voltage to the plug in. and im also pretty sure that misfire code probably was the cause of you other code so deffinately go and get a tune up first.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

P1416 and a suction noise while the air pump is on sounds passenger side air check valve related - connection at the header or an AIR hose is loose somewhere. Easy to check. I've had P1416 before and no misfire codes - just replaced the valve, and the car ran fine even with it on. Hope this helps...

Edit: Just saw you did !AIR, P1416, P1415 and all the other associated codes should've been turned off w/tuning?
Old 09-28-2006, 06:51 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28
Edit: Just saw you did !AIR, P1416, P1415 and all the other associated codes should've been turned off w/tuning?
I was actually just gonna ask that question. I had a shop delete my air pump a few years ago and was curious if I should even be getting a code like this at all? BTW, yes I did pay for tuning on that back then and was told all codes related to EGR and AIR were now gone guess I should give that shop a call here soon.
Old 09-28-2006, 09:54 PM
Staging Lane

Well I just removed the #8 plug and while my arms and hands are all bloody right now from trying to gain access to the plug it does look like it was worth it. The plug itself does look pretty black so i went down to the local autoparts and picked up a new one however it was getting a little late so ill probably finish up the job over the upcoming weekened and hope my problems go away.
Old 09-29-2006, 11:54 PM
Staging Lane

Things have now officially went from bad to worse I finished up tonight putting the #8 plug back in and upon starting the car back up i knew right away my idle issues were still there, not too mention this high piched whine coming from the engine will not go away Anyways I take the car for a short drive and can still tell its not performing anywhere near where it should be and again it seemed like every time I came to a stop the cars idle would drop to about 200 just to the point where it wants to die until I give it gas which it hesitates to go but eventually will. So i get back to the house and give it a quick scan and now find out my car is freakin throwing 6 codes!!!

1.P0300-Random/multiple cylinder misfire detected
2 & 3. P0352-Ignition coil B primary/secondary circuit malfunction
4.P1037-which is a O2
5.P0157-also O2
6.P1416-which is the same code I was getting before but have since found out this one should have been zapped when I did the !AIR a while back and found out today the shop I took it to back then will fix next week sometime

I should also point out my cylinder 8 misfire code is now gone but its looks like i have a whole lot more to deal with now. Could all of this really be wrong with the car all of the sudden? Im just having a hard time believing all these codes when to be honest I think its one thing thats causing all of this. Think im getting to the point however where i might be taking the car in to a dealer unless anyone else has any other ideas.

Last edited by SSucese; 09-30-2006 at 12:00 AM.