LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Budget-ish Headers

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 04:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Budget-ish Headers

Alright, my project "Z/28" is well under way, and the clutch will be here by friday and in and running by monday/tuesday. Now, my father, after alittle convincing( ) wants me to look into some headers. Now, I know ideally, I should get some LT's, but as of right now, I am on kind of a smog-legal budget. Soooo...can anyone point me in the right direction to find some not-to-expesive, emission legal headers with a decent power gain. Thanks
Old 10-19-2006, 04:40 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LTs are emissions legal, some of em.

Pacesetter
Kooks
Hooker

Just get them with EGR bungs.

What state do you reside in?

Tony.
Old 10-19-2006, 04:44 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Speed Density
LTs are emissions legal, some of em.

Pacesetter
Kooks
Hooker

Just get them with EGR bungs.

What state do you reside in?

Tony.
Maryland.
Old 10-19-2006, 04:46 PM
Launching!

check out pacesetter. They have mid tubes and longtubes with emissions both under 300 uncoated.
Old 10-19-2006, 04:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Location: king of prussia, pa (home) and williamsport, pa (school)

yeah just get some uncoated pacesetters with emissions fittings. their like 275 or somethin
Old 10-19-2006, 04:54 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get Coated, dont half *** it.

Tony.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:38 PM
Staging Lane

And I have another question..if I do get LT's, wont I alteast need a y-pipe made for them to keep my current cat-back? I mean it's not a daily driver as of now, and I eventually plan on changing it, but as of right now, I have to make do and that cat-back will have to do for now.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Something
And I have another question..if I do get LT's, wont I alteast need a y-pipe made for them to keep my current cat-back? I mean it's not a daily driver as of now, and I eventually plan on changing it, but as of right now, I have to make do and that cat-back will have to do for now.
yes, or you can buy one. All you have to do is shorten the I-pipe.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:14 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Something

Yes, you will need the Y pipe to go with the long tubes. You can get the headers and Y pipe for $414, as long as you get the uncoated ones.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Tony.

Almost everyone that goes with the uncoated will regret it later.

You can get coated pacesetter LTs plus Y for around 550.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:13 PM
Teching In

I have a set of coated headers and a well prepped and VHT painted exhaust. The headers have small rust spots and the exhaust which has been wet is clean as the day I installed it.

Hi Temp paint gets bad rep because guys do not prep or cure properly. If done right it is super tough set up. Do not confuse it with the crap that comes on the cheapo headers.

Also with coating you may have 02 problems heating up due to coating. Then again the heated 02's can cure that.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:41 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by infinitebird

Almost everyone that goes with the uncoated will regret it later.

You can get coated pacesetter LTs plus Y for around 550.

Sorry, but I have to disagree. The current trend toward coated headers is fairly recent. In fact, until I came to these fourth gen Camaro boards, I have never encountered anyone who deemed uncoated header useless.

The coated headers may look a little prettier for a while. They may even last a little longer and help with heat retention, but will they perform any better? I don't think so.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

My comment was based on the countless posts I've read where people have gotten the uncoated, and then, yes, regretted it later.

I agree they won't necessarily perform any better, although they will run cooler, and that has some benefits, (less chance of burning a plug wire, etc.). However, for people that don't want their headers to look like **** after 2 weeks, they are worth it. The coating can last a very long time.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:55 PM
Launching!

how long has your guys coating lasted? mine started rusting underneath within a year, part in engine bay still looks decent just dulled.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:05 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by infinitebird
My comment was based on the countless posts I've read where people have gotten the uncoated, and then, yes, regretted it later.

I agree they won't necessarily perform any better, although they will run cooler, and that has some benefits, (less chance of burning a plug wire, etc.). However, for people that don't want their headers to look like **** after 2 weeks, they are worth it. The coating can last a very long time.

I agree 100% on both counts, and hope that I didn't come across as a *****. If so, I certainly must apolagize. I realize that the general consensus here is that all headers should be coated or they are a waste of money.

I don't blame anyone that wants to drop a few extra bucks for the coated headers. They do look nicer and the reduction of underhood heat is a nice bonus, as well as a few more years of service.

My point is that the thread originator asked about budet-ish headers. For those on a budget, the uncoated headers are hard to beat for bang for the buck.

The last set of headers that I owned came on a car that I bought in 2000. The previous owner had owned the car for three years, and had not changed anything. I kept it until 2005. A good friend of mine now owns the car. It is still sporting the same pair of uncoated headers. That makes them nine years old. I never had a problem with burnt wires or worried about how they looked. The fact is they performed there job flawlessly for a long time.

I do understand that they won't last that long in other parts of the country due to salted roads and other enviromental factors.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Tony.

what he said, you will really regret it if you hae to do some work on the car at the track.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:03 PM
Staging Lane

Tony.
I understand that but if you drive in the winter, say good bye to that coating. Well I am thinking the salt help take off the coating on mine. Although the part in the engine bay still looks ok. I think it's starting to rust now too though.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zlightning
I understand that but if you drive in the winter, say good bye to that coating. Well I am thinking the salt help take off the coating on mine. Although the part in the engine bay still looks ok. I think it's starting to rust now too though.

and thats after how many years?

my headers are atleast 5 years old and the coating is as good as new in the engine bay part, and that where you really need it.
Old 10-21-2006, 08:56 AM
On The Tree

i have BBK shorty's and i love them they cost $349 that is with the y pipe.
Old 10-21-2006, 11:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

i've got pacesetter LT's, they're coated and passed emissions with some cats this year

Quick Reply: Budget-ish Headers