Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 fly by wire question

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 09:56 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 5.3 fly by wire question

I got a 2003 Suburaban with a 5.3/4l60e that I'm swaping into a 1985 Toyota 4x4 truck. The Suburban was in a head on and then rolled several times. the ECU was smashed along with a little control box that mounts on the fire wall next to the brake booster. I originally thought that this box was part of the windshield wipers, but yesterday I found out that it's part of the electronic throttle. My question is can a swap out the fly by wire and use a aftermarkter or older throttle body that is cable controled? And does the tranny need any of the fly by wire stuff or not? I don't have a problem using the stock suburban gas pedal and all the stuff that goes along with it as long as I can find a replacement for the control box that was smashed. I figure even after buying a new ECU and having it reporgrammed and what ever else I may need I couldn't pass up the deal. I only paid 300 dollars for the whole suburban.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:09 PM
Teching In

I have heard that you can swap an older throttle body on to this motor and use a regular throttle cable. Search the conversions and hybrids section and you should find some threads about this.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:01 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can do the swap. you'll lose electronic cruise control, but you can add mechanical cruise if you want it. swap won't affect tranny. the computer box that controls the throttle is called a TAC module. you could prolly find 1 @ a salvage yard. speartech has new new ones.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:15 AM
TECH Regular

i got my TAC, pedal assembly and harness pigtail for 65 bucks at my local pick and pull.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:33 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the help. I'll look around and see if I can find a TAC if not I'll swap it over to a cable style. I don't need the cruise, this set up is going into a rock crawler.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:35 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Call SpearTech they do Drive-By-Wire all the time and have all those components in-stock and could help you out with the right parts for that application.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:04 PM
Staging Lane

I found my tac module on Carparts .com if you decide to stay with fly by wire you'll need a ecm that is also fly by wire if you go cable you'll need a ecm for cable.that was a sweet deal only 3 bills for the whole truck !!I had Jared at Current Performance Wiring build my harness and reprogram my ecm,he specializes in LS swaps and I've heard nothing but excellent revues about his work and customer support.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:41 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the heads up. I think I'm going to look around a see if I can find a TAC locally. If not I'll go online and find one. Thanks for all the help, and I can't wait to get this motor in and running.

Quick Reply: 5.3 fly by wire question