Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

White Specks everywhere!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 10:43 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default White Specks everywhere!!!

Okay guys I pulled my car out today to clean her up and when I got her in the sun the front end including the hood is covered in little white specks. Im not talking about a few here and there I mean the whole front end is speckled with this ****. I washed, clayed, and polished and the specks are still there. I don't have a good buffer or anything just a 9" Ryobi from HD. I cannot figure out what they are I thought they where soap spots but I always wash one side of the front rinse then do the other side rinse then re-rinse the whole thing then proceed to do the sides and back. Does anyone know how to get them off and does anyone in the South Atlanta area have a nice buffer that I could rent. Input is welcome I tried to get some pics but they won't show up in the pics.
Old 11-06-2006, 03:39 PM
TECH Regular

Nobody has any thoughts on this. I gotta get these things off my car it is starting to **** me off.
Old 11-06-2006, 03:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

stop whackin off on it
Old 11-06-2006, 04:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tainted
stop whackin off on it
Now THAT'S funny.. I dunt kare who ya_arr.

If they flick off with your fingernail, go to the autoparts store and get some "clay". It's a block compond that will take off almost anything and is nice on the paint.
If they don't.. someone was spraying white paint when your car was around. The clay should still take it off though.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:18 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Todd157k
Now THAT'S funny.. I dunt kare who ya_arr.

If they flick off with your fingernail, go to the autoparts store and get some "clay". It's a block compond that will take off almost anything and is nice on the paint.
If they don't.. someone was spraying white paint when your car was around. The clay should still take it off though.
He already clayed it.

To OP: No clue dude. Anything happen in your garage while your car was there?
Old 11-06-2006, 06:03 PM
TECH Regular

I would say try taking it off with your finger nails. Start in an inconspicous part like the bottom of the bumper.

My guess is that will take them off. It sounds like you got paint splattered or overspray from something. It could also be sap (if you parked under a tree).

If it's hard deposits like paint or sap then a polisher (like a Porter Cable) will take them off....but it will still have to work at it and you'll proabaly have to go with a Perfect-It II Rubbing Compound....so if you have the patience...you might want to try getting a lot of it off by hand.

Good luck.....just make sure your finger nails are not sharp and keep it at an angle with the surface. Don't try to dig straight into the paint at a 90 degree angle.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:38 PM
Launching!

Does it look like this?

If it does the only way I could get rid of it was wetsand the bumper with 1500grit and then buff the hell out of it. I didn't get all of it out because I didn't spend enough time on it. But it was a big improvement.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:04 AM
TECH Regular

You got it GreenZ thats it right there except it is on my hood, fenders, and front bumper. I tried to wetsand before with an old hatch and it didn't turn out to well. I used 1500 grit and always kept it nice and wet but when I went to buff it I couldn't get the shine back maybe a 19.95 buffer and shitty polish was the culprit. I was thinking about taking it somewhere and letting a pro buff the hell out of it but noone will touch it because it's got factory paint on it and they don't want to risk burning through it.
Old 11-07-2006, 03:01 PM
Launching!

You need to buff with a compound something that has grit in it. This takes out the scratches from sandpaper and brings back the shine.

This is the process I did:
1. Wetsand with 1500.
2. Wash and dry bumper.
3. Buff with compound.( I used 3m microfinishing)
4. Then I went to swirlmark remover. (don't really know if this is needed but didn't take any chances.
5. And then went on to normal polish and wax.

When wetsanding be careful not to go through clear coat or paint. Also I used a cheap buffer from walmart.
Old 11-07-2006, 03:33 PM
Teching In

If you dont want to have any small scratches showing at all then I suggest you bump up the grit. Maybe go with a 2000... Thats what I used and I still had some deep scratches that were hell to buff out. If you dont mind an extra 10 mins sanding in order to have less imperfections then use something finer than 2000.