Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vette accessory brackets?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 02:57 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Vette accessory brackets?

When putting an LSx into a 1988 GTA and using the F-body accessory brackets you have to modify the stock subframe to clear the alternator and A/C. I know there is a bracket to mount the 88 A/C compressor up high but you still need to trim a small amount to clear the alternator. Has anybody used the Vette accassory brackets instead? That would put the alternator up high so you don't have to modify the subframe. And if so, could you still use the high mount A/C bracket? I really don't want to cut the subframe up, or use the later A/C stuff.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:13 AM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

The aftermarket brackets to mount the stock 3rd gen A/C compressor will not work with the vette accys. The f-body accys sit 3/4" further out from the block than the vette stuff, so if you tried to use the A/C bracket that was designed for the f-body stuff with the vette brackets the A/C comp would be 3/4" too far forward.
Old 11-07-2006, 05:06 PM
Staging Lane

The alternator doesn't have a clearence issue its just the a/c compressor.

I am using the corvette brackets on my 91 camaro.

The corvette a/c compressor fits worse then the f-body. This is because of the clock position of where the lines connect into the compressor. In order to make the corvette one work you have to take more out of the subframe in order to attach the lines.

I thought i could just use an f-body compressor and bracket, but the pullies don't line up with the vette harmonic balnacer. But, the f-body compressor fits in the corvette bracket.

However this doesn't solve the problem of modifying the k-member.
Old 11-07-2006, 05:13 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I believe that you should be able to put the f-body comp in the vette bracket and then switch the vette clutch/pulley onto the f-body comp. That way the lines will be in a better position. I think that is what GM did when they were swapping an LS1 into a 67 chevelle for Hot Rod Mag. Believe it was called the hotrod "Powerdriver" chevelle
Old 11-07-2006, 11:02 PM
Staging Lane

The f-body comp does fit in the vette bracket. I don't remember if i test fitted a belt onto the f-body comp, but without swapping pulley's it seemed like it would work. This was about a year ago, and i havn't touched the engine since then.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:24 AM
Teching In

Now I know that the Vette brackets for the P/S and Alt. will work.

F-body motorsports sells a bracket kit that mounts the third gen. A/C compressor up high on the pass. side head so you do not have to cut the frame. It says that they have 3 1" spacers, and they look like they go between the head and bracket. I haven't seen it mounted from the back or top to tell if you could use shorter spacers but if you can then it might work with the Vette stuff.

Thanks for the help.
Old 11-08-2006, 04:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

a/c brackets, sold by f-body motorsports space the brackets out from the head 3/4" so you might be able to use them without the short spacers. I used their setup on my car. Here is an upclose pic. If the bracket will bolt flat against the head, then you MIGHT be able to use them. The only other problem would be getting the tensioner to line uo with the belt. You would have to engineer something for that.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:48 AM
TECH Resident

At that point, you can swap to the vette tensioner. Not suprisingly, it works with the vette accessories.

'JustDreamin'
Old 11-08-2006, 01:38 PM
Teching In

LS1MCSS, thank you, that is the picture I've been looking for.

Just Dreamin, your right. As long as the Vette tensioner mounts in the same place I should be good to go.

Thanks to all.

Quick Reply: Vette accessory brackets?