Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have Borlamouth Pics?/Installation Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 05:05 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have Borlamouth Pics?/Installation Tips?

Waiting for my Borla XR-1 from Tim @ EAD Performance (thanks Tim) and just wanted to see what its gonna look like. I saw the diagram in the STICKY to take to a muffler shop, but I'm going to be doing the work myself and since my car is up on a trailer in a garage, I figure I will be able to reach the exhaust and do it myself.

I have a sawz-all, dremel, torch, and various other tools. So any helpfull hints with the install would be great.

If anyone has any pics lying around of their borlamouth setup, please post them so I know what Im in for.

Thanks in advance guys,
Pete
Old 11-27-2006, 05:15 AM
TECH Junkie

I have some out here somewhere, but can't seem to find them at the moment. I used an oval borla xr-1. It fit, tight, and it took some time to find the right spot for it. If I had to do it again, I would go with a round XR-1

Edit:
Just remembered. I had to take it to a muffler shop to have a new pipe made connecting the muffler to the I pipe. Not sure if the round will have the same problem, but the oval needed ~1" off set to clear w/o banging in the floor boards.
Old 11-27-2006, 05:41 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What are you gonna do with the torch? Braze the muffler in place?
Old 11-27-2006, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lol. Just cut to length and slip fit the borla muffler in place. Then attach it with a clamp.

Then drive to an exhaust shop and get it welded up.
Old 11-27-2006, 12:45 PM
TECH Regular

I am getting stainless less band clamps with the muffler so I will be using those. I would rather not have it welded in case I want to sell the muffler later. I don't want to go to the muffler shop if I can do it myself. I will make sure that I get the round muffler tip and not the oval, though.
If the muffler's length is longer than the resonator, it shouldn't be a problem hacking off the resonator at both ends and still having room to play with, otherwise i will hack through the resonator. The muffler will not slip onto the I pipe because they are both 3" in diameter. I guess i'm just gonna have to get the pipe as close to the muffler as I can and use the band clamps, which are several inches in lenght. Any other advice will help. - The torch is for lighting up the victory cigar
Old 11-27-2006, 12:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TryingT/A
I am getting stainless less band clamps with the muffler so I will be using those. I would rather not have it welded in case I want to sell the muffler later. I don't want to go to the muffler shop if I can do it myself. I will make sure that I get the round muffler tip and not the oval, though.
If the muffler's length is longer than the resonator, it shouldn't be a problem hacking off the resonator at both ends and still having room to play with, otherwise i will hack through the resonator. The muffler will not slip onto the I pipe because they are both 3" in diameter. I guess i'm just gonna have to get the pipe as close to the muffler as I can and use the band clamps, which are several inches in lenght. Any other advice will help. - The torch is for lighting up the victory cigar
Take the muffler to an exhaust shop and give them 5-10 bucks to expand each end of the muffler so it will slip onto your i-pipe.
Old 11-27-2006, 01:05 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Justin00SS
Take the muffler to an exhaust shop and give them 5-10 bucks to expand each end of the muffler so it will slip onto your i-pipe.
Definitely not a bad idea, Thanks Justin.
Old 11-27-2006, 01:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TryingT/A
Definitely not a bad idea, Thanks Justin.
NP. I got the idea when I was getting my tips welded on the other day.

I'm planning a magnamouth.

Quick Reply: Anyone have Borlamouth Pics?/Installation Tips?