LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

I need some insight...

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 02:15 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I need some insight...

Okay, Lemme start off by saying that I love my LT1 car and I've had it for the past 100K miles without ANY issue so I really cant get to mad at it.

With that being said, about 8 months ago I was pulling the car into the car wash. Underbody spray hit the opti and the car died. ( I had a feeling it was going out anyway so I wasnt to suprised) I let it dry for a little while and the car started up and I drove it home. I decided I was going to sell it and get a newer F-body because this one has 130K on it and it was bound to start having problems. Nature of the beast. I never did get a good enough offer on it so I decided to keep it and started working on it about 2 months ago. I put a new opti in, along with a water pump. Afterwards the car barely started up, idles around 450-500 rpms (on its own) and wont rev up AT ALL. Most RPMS its seen is about 750 even if I hold it to the floor. I went back and put new plugs in. No change. Put new wires on, no change.

I figured it might have bad gas so I drained the tank and put fresh in it. No change. I went back over all the plug wires to be sure they were right. No issues there. Checked all my sensors and connectors, no issues. I hooked up my scanner and everything seems fine that I can read on it (tps, maf, map, coolant temp, ect). I really see no reason that its doing what its doing.

Before the opti went out, car ran like a champ. Drove it everyday to and from work about 60 miles. Does anyone have any ideas for anything else I should check before I have it towed down to my shop? I really just have to many cars in my way there to deal with it and would rather fix it at home. I know its just something stupid that im missing. Is it possible that i got a bad opti?

Anyone heard of this problem before? I'm at a loss and at this point dont know what to do other then pull the opti back off and try another one.

Thanks in advance,

Charles
Old 11-28-2006, 02:35 AM
TECH Addict

Check the harness that connects to the OPTI Check Ignition Control Module. Check Grounds. Check Coil
Old 11-28-2006, 02:43 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by buffman
Check the harness that connects to the OPTI Check Ignition Control Module. Check Grounds. Check Coil
I've checked the harness, and if it wasnt connected to the opti I dont think it would start at all. I thought grounds and went back and checked them so unless I just missed one somewhere, those are good. Coil was checked and tested with another one so thats good. I didnt check the ignition control module but I'll look that back over.

On another note, the car has no CEL's, which being an OBD1 car doesn't say much, but it does rule out some stuff.

Charles
Old 11-28-2006, 02:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

opti completely on properly?
Old 11-28-2006, 06:45 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 94z28L
opti completely on properly?
Im about 99 percent confident that it is. I've installed several of them before and you can't really put them on wrong really. The ecu is not seeing any mis-fires and a temp gun shows that it is actually firing on all the cylinders.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

something in the throttle?
Old 11-28-2006, 02:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I read another thread where it was one tooth off and causing a bunch of problems like this. Might want to go re-seat it.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have never done an opti but have read multiple places that you can put the 94 opti on wrong and get these issues. something about having the pin in the wrong section on the back of the opti...
Old 11-28-2006, 05:06 PM
11 Second Club

I'll have to go back and check. Im going to move the car so I dont have to pull it all off on the ground in my driveway again. Hopefully its just something as simple as that and im only out some gasket maker and some frustration.

Charles
Old 11-29-2006, 02:49 PM
11 Second Club

UPDATE:

As of right now, I've pulled it all back apart and took the opti off. You really CANT put it in a tooth off because of the way its made. It will only go on one way. I'll update again when I find the problem.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:46 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Trust me, you can. I just went through that with the LT1 in my truck. Mine was advanced a tooth so it would ping if you touched the gas, and backfire through the intake while cranking to start.