Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing traction control

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 07:32 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing traction control

I noticed that when I wired my PCM in to my kit Cobra, there were some traction control wires that I removed. What is involved in putting the system back in again? Do I just get hold of some speed sensors and wire them in? How about a switch for turning the system off again?

I've got 4 speed sensors from a BMW - are they likely to work or do I need GM ones?
Old 11-28-2006, 09:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

htats probably unknown territory. most people who are swapping lsxs don't keep the traction control. I know that its tired into the stock rear end, so if you not running the stock rear end, it may be a little hard to do. You woudl also need the traction control module. Why bother is my question?
Old 11-28-2006, 10:02 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BrandonDrecksage
htats probably unknown territory. most people who are swapping lsxs don't keep the traction control. I know that its tired into the stock rear end, so if you not running the stock rear end, it may be a little hard to do. You woudl also need the traction control module. Why bother is my question?
Agreed I would bet it will be quite the project to put it in and if you ask most people who have they will tell you they dont use it.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:04 AM
On The Tree

My car weighs about 2000lbs, so pretty light - not so enjoyable on a typical English winter day - read wet and slippery. Looks like I'd need a separate traction control module, so probably best not to bother... I'll have a look at a Racelogic system instead...
Old 11-28-2006, 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by robin427
My car weighs about 2000lbs, so pretty light - not so enjoyable on a typical English winter day - read wet and slippery. Looks like I'd need a separate traction control module, so probably best not to bother... I'll have a look at a Racelogic system instead...
its definatly not worth it, and ina car that light, i would imagine it would let the rear get a little to far out before cutting power. Once it cuts power it would make the car unstable from the weight being re distrubted to the front, makign the rear even lighter.
Old 11-29-2006, 09:13 AM
On The Tree

Racelogic do a system that is installed by Lotus - cars that weigh about the same if not less than mine. They seem to think it is worth it.

That said, I thought I could do it on the cheap, already having some sensors - didn't realise I'd need another box of tricks as well as the PCM...
Old 11-29-2006, 12:54 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

For GM traction control to work you need the ABS
and the TCS "brain" (if it's a cable throttle, F-body
style swap). And the traction control is not that
suave an implementation either. I'd say, spend the
money on a rain tires and a roll bar
Old 11-29-2006, 01:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that car is meant to be driven without TCS, drive it like a man