Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny shift kit by PCM

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 07:59 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny shift kit by PCM

I was playing around with my 2000 Z28 yesterday, and I hate the way it shifts. It was lazy, and I love a firm, crisp shift, so I decided to start moving some tranny shift tables.

I bumped the max line pressure up from 90 to 120.

I took the "Torque Step size 4 table lookup" to 1500

I took the "max allowable torque" up to 1280ft lbs

I found several torque management tables and disabled them or maxed them out to keep them from pulling timing,

And I took the "negative and positive force motor current" tables and multiplied them by .5,

I took the "time for shift" (somthing like that) and dropped it to .200 on all cells,

I took the line pressure for shifts normal mode and matched it to the performance mode which was 90psi across all cells,

And daymn what a difference! This tranny shifts just as hard as my old 4l60e in my truck which had the "race" kit from trans-go in it!

I haven't put in my pressure gauge into the line port on my transmission of verify the tranny pressures, but I can tell you this, burning second gear is nothing! Now my G/F doesn't like the shift cause this setup right here, it shifts hard! I love it.

Now for those of you who play with the tranny tables, have yall ever done anything like this?

Feedback welcome.

Thanks

D Moss
Old 01-02-2007, 08:20 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

usually I'll just delete all engine tq management, delete part or all of the tranny tm depending on what the customer wants, set desired shift times for 1-2 & 2-3 to .25, touch on the general shift pressures for the 1-2 & 2-3 and then call it a day...I generally like to see the trannies last a while.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You did several things that are not very good on your trans.

ONE is, if you set the max line pressure up from 90 to 120. That is bad, The Force motor current table does not go that high so after 96 it will try to mess up on amps to the pressure control solonoid.

Two is, That you should never run MAX line pressure like you are when you set the table to 90. It is now using the lowest amp you commanded on that force motor current table.

Three is, When you are using a shift kit, it is unwise to mess with pressures. If your trans is not shifting hard/fast with one, then you probably did something wrong on the install.

On the force motor current table, the lower the value, the higher the pressure.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:39 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think he has a shift kit in this car/truck, he was just comparing to his old truck which did, but yeah I totally agree I don't like jacking that stuff up too much otherwise you'll have more problems then its worth.
Old 01-07-2007, 02:56 PM
Staging Lane

Old 08-22-2007, 04:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

oh my god... that is... horrible!!!
Old 08-22-2007, 04:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

as stated.. it may feel good now... but it probably won't feel good long... you need to drop some of those tables (especially pressure related) back to where they were and not make such huge leaps in values (for the sake of your transmission)
Old 08-27-2007, 09:51 AM
Banned

Default Wtf?

Wake up bo!

This thread is 6 months old, dead, and my transmission is shifting hard and fine!

Have you tried it? Did it tear your transmission up? Do you have any proof that it will tear one up, cause if you don't, then you're blowing smoke up the wrong persons a$$, cause my tranny is shifting fine, hard, and I've been smoking peoples *** with this same car/tranny that everyone has been bashing me on.....I've raced WS6's, SS's, z28's, and everytime I shift, you can see me walking away from those poor slow shifting cars.....just keep your slow shifts, and I'll keep mine.

Proof, not myths, not theroies, proof.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:47 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you leave you line pressure jacked up like that it's gonna break... it's not a matter of "maybe it works for me"; it's a matter of when. There's a sticky in the auto forum about line pressures.

But it's your ****... you were warned by several people in this thread already that know quite a bit about it and whadda ya do, crap on what they tell you. I just hope that people that read this section looking for info don't do what you are doing.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:30 PM
Banned

And if leave that turbo on your car, it's gonna break, cause we all know turbo cars are time bombs. I know cause I have one....but it works for us.....just like this works for me. So far, so good, and it hasn't shown no signs of failing yet, so I'm gonna keep on keepn on.

And if something does happen, I'll tear the tranny apart, take picks, and post up what happened, and go from there to repair it. Just so yall can say, "look I told ya so", but lets see how long it takes. I've rebuilt several 4l60e's, put shift kits in several, so it won't be a problem if it does fly to pieces, it won't be the first one to go, and I'm sure their pressures wasn't the problem.
Old 09-01-2007, 01:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

locking... changes may work well for you and your car based on your driving habits... but not something anyone else should try....
high line pressure + time = disaster...

Dmoss69 settings + time = don't do

I've raced WS6's, SS's, z28's, and everytime I shift, you can see me walking away from those poor slow shifting cars.....just keep your slow shifts, and I'll keep mine.
that quote by dmoss69 made me laugh

lol... the more I re-read the funnier it is...

Last edited by horist; 09-01-2007 at 01:31 AM.