Browse all: Tire Repair and Maintenance
Print Wikipost

tire leaks air between rim and tire

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 08:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tire leaks air between rim and tire

I have a tire on my TA that i have to fill up every other day cause it leaks. When i fill it up when i get to around 30psi it will start shootin air out really hard in a about 1inch area where i guess it is not seated on the rim. It only leaks for about 5 seconds and stops. Then the tire leaks the rest of the way when this spot has the weight of the car on it.

what should I do? have it reseated or somthing? I dont thnk the rim is bent or messed up anywhere.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Sounds like the same problem I had.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/wheels-tires/636447-i-have-problem-tire-wheel.html
Old 01-25-2007, 09:44 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can try to break the tire down and take some scotch brite pads and go over the tire and the wheel where you are having the issue, I have had good luck doing this in the past.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you mount the tire you are supposed to use tire grime on the beads for sealing purposes and also so the tire mounts easier. The low profile tires are a pita to mount.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:42 PM
Teching In

alright when i get a chance im going to remount the tire and see if someone just did a crappy job doing that. Im going to buy tires pretty soon but i was wondering if it would work buying some 275/40/17 for the back and leaving my 2 good 245/40/17 on for a couple months before i bought some more of the 275s. Would this throw off the alighnment pretty bad or anything? or cause weird tire wear?
Old 01-26-2007, 12:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

is the wheel chrome? if so sometimes we have problems with the chrome peeling causing a leak around the bead, our solution is to use bead sealer. which works most of the time.
i usually break the bead down and clean the edges really well, and then apply the bead sealer, if the bead wasnt seated properly, you would definitely know and it wouldnt be because its leaking, it would be for another reason
Old 01-26-2007, 04:27 PM
Teching In

bad news...ugh took the rim off and it is bent on the inside of the rim...which sucks because now I see no other alternative besides buying another rim. Is it dangerous driving around with a rim bent like this? I took it off and my old autotech teacher said he could try to straighten it out but theres a likely chance he would break it because the rims are aluminium not steel...so i said no.
Now i have to see if i can buy a single 17" ws6 rim. Do they make these ws6 rims wider because then I might just get two and replace the back ones. Anyone know how much one of these rims runs used?
Old 01-26-2007, 09:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

that sucks, you can have it repaired but it might cost as much as a used one, its not dangerous to drive around with it like that(if im picturing what it is) post a pic so i can get a better look, your just going to have to keep airing it up, but becareful driving it with low air pressure because you can get a heat ring and eat up the inside of the sidewall damaging your tire. good luck
Old 01-26-2007, 10:46 PM
TECH Veteran

damn dude that really sucks, im sure you can drive on it but only to the plkace where you're gonna get it fixed because you never know when your goin down the highway and your whole wheel flies off lol

Quick Reply: tire leaks air between rim and tire