Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Retrofitting stock WS6 tips

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 01:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Retrofitting stock WS6 tips

Hey, I've got a question on cat-backs and exhaust tips. I'm going to be replacing my car's current Franken-cat-back with a stainless steel unit, and installing a cut-out at the same time. I want to retro-fit the new cat-back with a set of stock '99 WS6 tips. I had been seriously thinking about Magnaflow, because it's stainless, relatively inexpensive, and it sounds good with LTs and ORY. There is some concern on the part of my shop though, relating to mating the stock tips (~2" diameter, possibly non-stainless) to the Magnaflow tailpipes (3.5" diameter, stainless).

Does anyone have any thoughts on retrofitting stock WS6 tips to an aftermarket cat-back, either in general or particular to the Magnaflow? Your thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!
Old 02-21-2007, 01:22 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So your sayin your exhaust shop can't figure out how to install a set of tips just b/c they are a little smaller?? I would go elsewhere then.

Also whats the point of keepin the stock tips, everyone will know from the exhaust note that its not stock. Might as well get the nice Magnaflow tips to go with it.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well you could have the magnaflow tips cut off and new stainless pipes run in their place to the stock tips. It's gonna cost some money for the mandrel bends though. I don't think it's worth it either as everyone is gonna hear that it's not a stock exhaust. I can understand you doing this though if you upgraded your cat-back to SLP dual/dual because it will flow better than stock but without all the added volume of the magnaflow
Old 02-21-2007, 01:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My whole point here isn't to fool anybody, when the cut-out is open they're going to know for sure it's not stock...I just happen to like the look of a stock car, especially a loud, fast one. If I had a Trans Am, I could maybe get away with the Magnaflow tailpipes, but mine's a Formula, so they look pretty hideous in my opinion. I also agree that it would be a waste to bend new pipes for the Magnaflow, I may just end up going with something else that's either easier to put the stock tips on, or one that looks more stock than the Magnaflow. Loudmouth II (loud?) and GMMG (expensive) come to mind.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

You need to go elsewhere..they sound very stupid.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NHRAMAN
You need to go elsewhere..they sound very stupid.
lol at GMMG sounding stupid
Old 02-21-2007, 03:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Intragration
My whole point here isn't to fool anybody, when the cut-out is open they're going to know for sure it's not stock...I just happen to like the look of a stock car, especially a loud, fast one. If I had a Trans Am, I could maybe get away with the Magnaflow tailpipes, but mine's a Formula, so they look pretty hideous in my opinion. I also agree that it would be a waste to bend new pipes for the Magnaflow, I may just end up going with something else that's either easier to put the stock tips on, or one that looks more stock than the Magnaflow. Loudmouth II (loud?) and GMMG (expensive) come to mind.
If you want somethin that looks more stock, i think SLP dual/dual swould be alot easier to put on with the stock tips. You will see the GMMG from the rear so I'm not sure thats the best option and with something like Loudmouth or TSP rumbler, you won't see a muffler at all from the back. Maybe you could just get a muffler from magnaflow and have it welded in the stock location
Old 02-21-2007, 04:39 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by jimmypop13
lol at GMMG sounding stupid
@ you. He wasn't refering to the GMMG exhaust. He was refering to their problem installing the tips.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

crap!
Old 02-21-2007, 06:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
@ you. He wasn't refering to the GMMG exhaust. He was refering to their problem installing the tips.
ahahaha
Old 02-22-2007, 07:04 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SiL3NtXWS6
ahahaha
Hey man hows the 408 treatin ya?? That thing sounds just plain sick.