Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FAST intake warning

Old 09-07-2006, 01:08 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FAST intake warning

Don't let this happen to you! I bought a FAST90 intake manifold used, and installed it over the weekend. It made some popping noises, like it was warped, and settling in. In no way did it appear to not fit. I saw a bag of extra bolts, that didn't appear to belong anywhere, and as it was a Sunday, and a simple job, went ahead with the install. As it turns out, those extra bolts are needed to replace your valley cover factory bolts that protrude far enough to contact the bottom of the FAST. Needless to say, not having directions, and being too confident/stupid/impatient, I will have to replace the bottom plate on the three piece manifold @ about $350. There, you've been warned, but you probably knew all this anyway, right?
Old 09-07-2006, 01:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice heads up!!
Old 09-07-2006, 01:35 PM
TECH Regular

I was lucky enough to see another post like this BEFORE I put my intake on. I would have probably done the same thing.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:38 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Holy ****! Im having issues with my intake sucking air and Ive pulled it off numerous times finding nothing. I too didnt use the bolts because I thought they were extras. Now I think I may know where im sucking air. Did it crack the bottom of the intake? I feel like a complete dummy!
Old 09-07-2006, 01:43 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Z'mnypit
Holy ****! Im having issues with my intake sucking air and Ive pulled it off numerous times finding nothing. I too didnt use the bolts because I thought they were extras. Now I think I may know where im sucking air. Did it crack the bottom of the intake? I feel like a complete dummy!

Welcome to my world! I have'nt got the manifold apart yet, but I did call the shop that sold it to my, and they said JB weld, sand and cure will fix it up without replacing it. What happened for my is the car would start up, and immediately rev up like it was given about half throttle. After a couple of attempts, gave it to my tuner, who figured out the cause.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:54 PM
TECH Regular

My buddy broke his doing the same thing and JB welded it with no problems. He got the post AFTER the install.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:55 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by exSSer
Welcome to my world! I have'nt got the manifold apart yet, but I did call the shop that sold it to my, and they said JB weld, sand and cure will fix it up without replacing it. What happened for my is the car would start up, and immediately rev up like it was given about half throttle. After a couple of attempts, gave it to my tuner, who figured out the cause.
Thats what I was thinking, JBweld. My car will start then surge real bad. While scanning the IAC position it would read 0. Which means its sucking air from somewhere else. Also my RAF tables are extremely low due to the additional airflow coming from somewhere. The tune was dialed in pretty close at one time but the idle was at 1500rpm and above, so Im hopping this is my problem. Im going to pull the intake tonight to see. Ive looked everywhere to see where its been sucking air.

Does it mention in the instructions anywhere about replcaing those bolts? If it did I must have skipped it or not have seen it.

Thanks for posting this up...
Old 09-07-2006, 02:08 PM
Launching!

Does it mention in the instructions anywhere about replcaing those bolts? If it did I must have skipped it or not have seen it.

I bought it used, and it didn't have instructions. But then, I know it all, right?
Old 09-07-2006, 03:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Talking

EXTRA BOLTS/PARTS ...............Priceless........ [thats a big-10-4 on the oops!!!]
Old 09-07-2006, 07:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Epoxy that sucker and save the cash. Nobodys gonna see it on the bottom piece. Maybe even port it out while youre doing the work too!
Old 09-07-2006, 09:40 PM
10 Second Club

Pulled my intake off after I got off work and sure enough, every bolt on the valley cover has made dents/indentions in the bottom of my intake. None seemed to be cracked but im sure beings they were putting the intake in an uneven position that maybe thats why im sucking air from somewhere. Ill know tommorow morning if it is or not. Luckly I still had the bag of bolts it cam with....
Old 09-08-2006, 12:52 AM
Launching!

Pulled my intake off after I got off work and sure enough, every bolt on the valley cover has made dents/indentions in the bottom of my intake. None seemed to be cracked but im sure beings they were putting the intake in an uneven position that maybe thats why im sucking air from somewhere. Ill know tommorow morning if it is or not. Luckly I still had the bag of bolts it cam with....

Maybe you got lucky, and it's just dents in the plastic. Good luck.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:53 AM
Launching!

T
Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
Epoxy that sucker and save the cash. Nobodys gonna see it on the bottom piece. Maybe even port it out while youre doing the work too!

Talked to Rick at Synergy ,and he said JB weld will do the trick. It was ported already, by Cartek.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

glad i saw this so if i ever get a fast intake ill know atleast we learn from your mistake good for us but bad for you man sorry bout that man. sux..
Old 09-08-2006, 11:41 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This very same thing happened to a friend of mine. Our local tuning shop had the same issue on a previous customers car and couldn't figure out why the vacuum kept fluctuating on them while tuning. Sure enough, you have to run those correct bolts to get the intake to seal properly.

The friend of mine was able to order a set of the correct fast lower bolts and luckily his wasnt cracked but was dinted too. Both of you are lucky, they are known to crack from that.

Fast should make that a big bold instruction on the box and the paperwork because its a very easy thing to miss!
Old 09-08-2006, 12:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

It is so refreshing to see a post in which the person is humble enough to admit a mistake for the benefit of everyone else. It almost brought a tear to my eye... Thanks for the "heads up"!
Old 09-08-2006, 09:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I believe I have messed up, your saying those little bolts go on the bottom of the FAST Intake, I've never heard an air suction leak? I'm running a cam, and thought when it was cold that the rpms would go up and down at first due to the car being cold with the cam, then it would stop after a few times from doing this, where due those little bolts go?, I looked and did not see, also I could not figure out how that Intake came apart.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:10 PM
TECH Addict

Thats what I was thinking, JBweld. My car will start then surge real bad. While scanning the IAC position it would read 0. Which means its sucking air from somewhere else. Also my RAF tables are extremely low due to the additional airflow coming from somewhere. The tune was dialed in pretty close at one time but the idle was at 1500rpm and above, so Im hopping this is my problem. Im going to pull the intake tonight to see. Ive looked everywhere to see where its been sucking air.

But that z in your sig is nasty
Old 09-08-2006, 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

isn't that in the directions?
Old 09-09-2006, 01:34 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SSDoubleK
I believe I have messed up, your saying those little bolts go on the bottom of the FAST Intake, I've never heard an air suction leak? I'm running a cam, and thought when it was cold that the rpms would go up and down at first due to the car being cold with the cam, then it would stop after a few times from doing this, where due those little bolts go?, I looked and did not see, also I could not figure out how that Intake came apart.
Those bolts of which I speak don't go in the bottom of the manifold, they go BELOW the manifold, on the valley cover. The factory bolts stick up more than the FAST will clear, though why they would cast the thing and not allow for clearance is beyond me. Hell, it's cast plastic, they could make it look like a layer cake.

Search this Thread