Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LSX swap racing league/series.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 03:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LSX swap racing league/series.

Question: Do you think there are enough RX7 (1st, 2nd, and 3rd gen) swaps, 240sx, Datsun 240z/280z, older muscle car, and other platform swaps that use the LSX engine to get them ALL together and petition GM to back SCCA/NASA racing events or LSX HPDE's?

As in whatever production platform + LSX engine racing series. Lots of variety with the same engine. How do you guys think this would go over?

Answers please.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:00 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by HRforsale
Question: Do you think there are enough RX7 (1st, 2nd, and 3rd gen) swaps, 240sx, Datsun 240z/280z, older muscle car, and other platform swaps that use the LSX engine to get them ALL together and petition GM to back SCCA/NASA racing events or LSX HPDE's?

As in whatever production platform + LSX engine racing series. Lots of variety with the same engine. How do you guys think this would go over?

Answers please.
I doubt that there are enough cars that could be lumped together practically (similar speeds / capabilities) for SCCA / NASA to spend any amount of time considering it.

But that's just me. Guess I'm not an optimist.

'JustDreamin'
Old 02-26-2007, 04:10 PM
Teching In

What about an all LSX HPDE? How do you feel about that?
Old 02-26-2007, 04:10 PM
10 Second Club

considering that LSxs have been put in just about everything.. im sure you could.. but the problem is a 240Z LSx is going to flat walk most converted cars... those Datsun guys have been doing this turning stuff since 1970.. and to get a 2000lb car to haul *** around a track isnt that hard..
Old 02-26-2007, 04:31 PM
Teching In

Audi dominates LeMans and noone really buys LeMans cars or racing products striaght off the cars.

Would it be feasable to assume poeple would either particpate or watch or track the results of a HPDE/Race of an LSX engine with W/E production chasis series? Reason being that it could possibly sell more LSX engines and performance parts.

1. Would you watch/participate/track results of either an HPDE or Race event in this category?
2. If you manufacture or sell LSX related parts, would you participate or sponsor?
3. Is the close competition the main attraction or is it the relation to your car or yourself (hotrodding in a new form) that really matters?
Old 02-26-2007, 05:35 PM
10 Second Club

it would somehow have to be like lemans.. and there would be weight penalties assesed.

my biggest issue with any racing is that there gets to be way to much money involved with it and it ruins it.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

first question is, how many guys are willing to do fender to fender racing on their converted cars?

2nd, what about Ultimas, GTRs, Cobras, Sevens, and other kit/purpose built cars?

I don't think these cars have enough in common to warrant a class or race of their own, but that's just me.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:22 PM
Teching In

Ok, so.

Where is everyone from who has a LSX car and that would be seriously interested in a LSX (FOR FUN) HPDE (high perf driving event) with maybe a RANDOM door prize for showing up and participating.

Say:
Yes, I would be seriously interested and would participate.
If yes, indicate what city and state you are from and what is your local road course.
No, HRforsale I would not attend.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

FactoryFive has its own class with NASA for AC Cobra replica cars.

NASA also has HPDE with TimeTrial groups in them for cars with any and all engine swaps. Depending upon which engine the car originated from, the level of mods, weight lumps you in a certain category. TTA (low mods with heads/cam LS1), TTU (unlimited- stroker/heads/cam etc), TTR- wild hp/lb ratio cars (ie 600rwhp LSx powered car) that would have to compete against a full boogey GT3 Porsche race car with carbon fiber everything and dialed engine with sequential gear box.

Bottom line is that LSx converted cars with lots of mods get lumped against full blown race cars and are therefor not competive.

There aren't many LSx converted cars that can truly road race for a full 20 minute session. You can count the amount on all the forums on about 2 hands and that is spread throughout the country.

Some run slicks... others run street tires... many have stock brakes and feel they can road race on those with 450hp and simply upgraded pads.... so the fact that someone has an LSx powered car but then doesn't have upgraded brakes... makes the car basically a non threat because after 2-3 hard laps the brakes don't work properly due to heat soak. Plus a car with street tires on the track will get dusted by anyone on slicks that is a decent driver. You simply can't safely push the car to its limits.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:29 PM
Teching In

Ok, don't know how well it's being recieved but I'm saying:
For Fun, not a class restrictions race.
Any LSX engine in ANY chasis.
I.E. camaros, f-brids, vettes, also all the swapped cars/trucks, even older vehicles.

Maybe I grossly overestimated the amount of people who have a LSX engine in any car that would want to meet up with other LSX owners and just have fun on the track. I can see how it might have gotten off track by starting out with the word race.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:04 PM
10 Second Club

if i ever get my conversion done id race it, hardcore
Old 02-26-2007, 09:18 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think a LS1 FD would run with the 240's but yo also get into what GNX7 was talking about there is much more to putting a class together then just saying hey bring you LSX car here and run it. Tires, brakes and suspension come into play, not to even talk about safty equipment.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:54 PM
Teching In

yay.. ok. Let's start over.

FOR FUN, HPDE/NOT sanctioned racing. NOT class restricted other than w/e production chassis with an LSX (including fbodies, gto's, and vettes. Super Chevy Show like get together and a road course.

Maybe I'm not explaining myself well, I dunno. As far as I recall reading NASA HPDE's require a mechanical check and reccomend a helmet but no roll cage or other safety equipment is needed.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:01 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its fun running, I run my 32 Roadster at the local Autocross events here in Texas. With an average of 100+ cars at each event the only 2 LS converts are me and a RX7. I drive in and the RX7 comes off a trailer and sets track records. I have to run in such a highly modified class I expect to come in last. But every one flocks to the Hot Rod. and every vette guy out there knows what it is on sight and we have a good time talking about mods. For safety, look at the rules for convertibles, there retarded, roll bars, arm restraints, SNELL approved helmets, bla bla bla. If you can get by all that crap sure.

I'm game, Centeral Texas
Old 02-27-2007, 04:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess I could put a bigger sway bar and some racing tires on my 1935 sedan and run it. I doubt if my white wall tires could handle a road race course. I already did the drag racing thing on a "run what ya brung" kinda deal.
Attached Thumbnails LSX swap racing league/series.-rat-fink-show-small-.jpg  

Quick Reply: LSX swap racing league/series.