Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Home from Sebring

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 03:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Home from Sebring

i had the chance to attend the 12 hours of sebring this weekend. i gotta say, if any of you ever have the chance, GO!!!. it is the best party anywhere and you can't ask for better racing.
i have been to the rolex 24 at daytona a few times, and sebring is a much different crowd.
i got a few hours of video to rip off the camera and edit. dunno how long it wil take since i suck at technology. lol
C6-R dominated GT1, the Audi R10 TDI dominated LMP1 and the overall(won by several laps), LMP2 featured some new mazda efforts, and the GT2 title literally came down to the Risi Ferrari and Flying Lizard Porsche banging fenders across the finish line(yes, $575K of cars hammering the door handles at 100+ mph)

-Tim
Old 03-19-2007, 06:52 PM
Teching In

Those ALMS races really do give you a rush when you're watching them. Makes the Grand Am races (Rolex24, etc.) seem like minor league. I'm a little biased towards ALMS since my dad works for the Lizards on occasion and the whole crew is really nice. After the 24 hours of Lemans last year we let them use our shop as a base of operations prepping for the Lime Rock race. You get a newfound respect for these teams when you see how much work actually goes into getting those cars to run at that speed for those enduro races.
We have some pictures of them at our shop here http://www.lynmormotorsports.net/flyinglizards.htm
Old 03-19-2007, 07:06 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by NJSPDER
i had the chance to attend the 12 hours of sebring this weekend. i gotta say, if any of you ever have the chance, GO!!!. GT2 title literally came down to the Risi Ferrari and Flying Lizard Porsche banging fenders across the finish line(yes, $575K of cars hammering the door handles at 100+ mph)

-Tim
That was some ending in the GT2 class!!!!
Old 03-19-2007, 07:16 PM
12 Second Club

https://ls1tech.com/forums/multimedia-exchange/678074-2007-mobil-1-twelve-hours-sebring.html

Old 03-19-2007, 07:40 PM
11 Second Club

Excellent pic's.. what camera???
Old 03-19-2007, 07:57 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the GT2 title literally came down to the Risi Ferrari and Flying Lizard Porsche banging fenders across the finish line(yes, $575K of cars hammering the door handles at 100+ mph)

-Tim
A good friend is on the Risi Ferrari pit crew, they were pumped about the victory.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:38 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mr. B
Excellent pic's.. what camera???
Thanks! Canon 1dmkII with a 70-200mm lens
Old 03-21-2007, 03:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

the end of the GT2 race was amazing to sya the least. looking at replays i am gonna call the contact just the result of hard racing. yes, melo did run into the side of bergy, but only because berg tried to pinch the line and run the ferrari out of room to accelerate off the last corner(it is clear as day from the helicopter camera).
it was a blast. i have been to daytona several times, and i do like the layout of the daytona facility much much better. but the quality of racing in ALMS is so far and beyond what NASCAR...er...ummm.... i mean Grand Am has to offer that it is ridiculous.
daytona is still a great race if you like GT cars, they draw a very strong field. the daytona "prototypes" i could live without.
BTW, it was announced last weekend that the 2010 LMP formula will be back to closed cockpit cars i can't f'ing wait to see that.
if anyone is hitting up any of the other endurance races let me know. i plan to hit a few more if i have time.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:10 PM
12 Second Club

HA! They can bring the 962s out of retirement!! j/k
Old 03-21-2007, 04:16 PM
11 Second Club

I don't understand all these classes of racing..

Do they all come under SCCA or what?
Old 03-21-2007, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

nah, this is a completely different deal than the SCCA.
basicaly there are two types of cars. GT cars are production based and split into GT1 and GT2 depending on the amount of development and the power plant being used.
the other style of cars is prototype. it is a "formula" type series with a variety of independant chassis manufacturers and the vehicles are designed to accpet many different power plants. the prototype classes are also seperated into two classes, LMP1 and LMP2. the LMP1 cars are faster, larger engines, lower minimum weight, and more tire than the LMP2 cars.
basicaly they set all four catagories free on teh track at one time and see what happens. sort of like mixing up bumble bees, hornets, mud wasps, and killer bees in a jar and checking the results 12 hours later. lol
Old 03-21-2007, 08:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dailydriver
HA! They can bring the 962s out of retirement!! j/k
hopefully the mercedes will figure out how to keep their car land based at le mans this time. lol
i am interested in seeing what is going to happen. this isn't looking like it will be the revisiting of the old formula that required the based tub of the car to be an unaltered production vehicle. this is a complete development formula with opened up aero rules, similar tre limits, similar vehicle weights, and just a little bit smaller than current engines.
i imagine most of the manufacturers will start by simply adding tops to their current open designs and moving som eballast around.
i hope above all else to see ferarri back in the prototype game. nothing is sexier than an unmuffled V12 at full song in an old Typo555
Old 03-21-2007, 09:27 PM
11 Second Club

sort of like mixing up bumble bees, hornets, mud wasps, and killer bees in a jar and checking the results 12 hours later. lol

That's what I thought.
Old 03-22-2007, 03:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

the technology and variations of the cars is really amazing. if anyone has the chance to attend any professional sports car races i highly recomend it. most of the passes work a lot like drag racing where your ticket gets you into the pits and the stands, leaving very few places with limited access.
best parts is, the tickets are cheap. ALMS and Grand Am both offer a full weekend 4 day pass for only $80. it is hard to find a deal better than that on 4 days at the track anywhere.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:30 PM
11 Second Club

the technology and variations of the cars is really amazing. if anyone has the chance to attend any professional sports car races i highly recomend it. most of the passes work a lot like drag racing where your ticket gets you into the pits and the stands, leaving very few places with limited access.
best parts is, the tickets are cheap. ALMS and Grand Am both offer a full weekend 4 day pass for only $80. it is hard to find a deal better than that on 4 days at the track anywhere.
That sounds good.. do they run at Limerock CT?
Old 03-23-2007, 03:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

yup, heres the link

http://www.limerock.com/content/events-le-mans

i am hoping to make it up there for the race. i have been told limerock has a great facility. as long as work doesn't mess me up i will be there.