Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Aftermarket Overflow Tank

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 06:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Aftermarket Overflow Tank

Guys tomarrow I am wanting to put in my aftermarket Overflow tank. Since the battery relocation is pretty much done. The only question I have is do I mount the hose from the radiator in the top of the bottom of the overflow tank??? The bottom oulet has a valve on it so I could open it. I suppose I need to connect it to the Top correct and the bottom is for letting coolant out?

The tank is from Speedinc, and looks like the summit and Jaz pieces, I am only asking since I have heard guys hook them up multiple ways
Old 03-19-2007, 08:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

i put mine on the bottom
Old 03-20-2007, 02:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i got the jaz one, i hooked it up on the bottom, it needs to be
able to return to the rad.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

so you guys just cap off the top one???
Old 03-20-2007, 07:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

on mine the top fitting, i used a rubber hose and ran it to the
bottom, incase it ever overflows it can drain on the ground.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well what if I run the Top and the bottom to a "T" fitting (vaccum fitting possibly) and then run it to the radiator??? that way witch ever direction the coolant goes it will be recirculated back to the radiator?
Old 03-21-2007, 01:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

youll just build up pressure like crazy. If you ever overheat the coolant has to go somewhere.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

youll just build up pressure like crazy. If you ever overheat the coolant has to go somewhere.
Are you refering to me????
I am somewhat a Novice when it comes to the coolant system.
I do want it to recirculate so i am giving it the choice to recirculate from the Top or Bottom, I just bought a Yfitting hoping that I could rig this up tonight.

Anyone else have any ideas?
Old 03-21-2007, 02:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just talked to speed inc (where I bought the overflow tank) and they said put it on the bottom and leave the valve open, and I suppose just cap off the Top (guess it would not matter since coolant would not get that High)

I guess I will find out after a few minutes of driving if it overheats or not
Old 03-21-2007, 02:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

+1 for the Jaz on the bottom. If you put it on the top and block the bottom, it will drain the excess into the can but have no way to recover it when it cools. I just left the top open so the air move as the can fills or empties.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Speed
+1 for the Jaz on the bottom. If you put it on the top and block the bottom, it will drain the excess into the can but have no way to recover it when it cools. I just left the top open so the air move as the can fills or empties.
Um, the stock units work exactly how you are describing, and pull from the top using hydraulic principles that are beyond me. If you want to preserve recirculating stock function, wouldn't you do it exactly how the factory did it, but with a new recepticle in a new location? The stocker does not drain into the rad, why would you think trying to gravity drain would work, exactly?

The speed inc way will work, but when it overflows it will go to an unsealed tank, through the bottom, and if you should happen to puke more coolant than the tank will hold, it will shoot out of the top open valve. Not a problem with the stock unit; it holds a lot. Aftermarkets units - not so much. Also would this not mess up the pressurization of the radiator, since you would now have a pressure leak at all times?
Old 03-21-2007, 04:35 PM
TECH Addict

interesting...

when i was messing around with the 408ci n/a one night, after replacing a few springs, the drive belt went and the motor over heated NASTY!! The pressure got high enough to puncture a hold in the stock hold tank and spew colant everywhere.

If by adding a overflow tank and using a pressure valve on top, would allow to minimize the amount of slippeage and still maintain a specific radiator pressure for nominal use?

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Overflow Tank