Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Aluma stars

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 04:21 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aluma stars

i am about to buy some aluma stars for my trans am... But i would like to know if 5 in backspace is ok. I want to know how critical that 1/2 inch is. because i was reading that scale and it said you need about a 5.5inch backspace. So i was wondering what the fitment would be like with only 5 inchs os BS?
Old 04-07-2007, 01:07 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Aluma Stars are very nice wheels. If you're talking about an 8" wheel, it is really too small for what tires you can easily run on the car. That size tire doesn't work well for the typical 275/50 or 26x11.5" tire. 5.5" is a bit small anyways. The only reason why you see folks suggesting them is since those manufactures don't offer you guys anything else...so you're stuck. IF I built you an 8" wheel, it would be closer to the stock backspace...though I'd never suggest an 8" wheel. Stock, they are ~6.25" depending on the year 4th gen...this means you're already out too far. 5" is even worse.

You need a 10" wheel. There is nothing wrong with Welds high-ended Aluma Stars...actually they are very nice wheels. I'd highly consider one of our Bogarts...in the end, if you add up the costs, I think you'll find our setup is actually slightly less expensive and we build them to fit your car.

Good luck.
Old 04-07-2007, 12:58 PM
On The Tree

Damn let the guy run his welds, seems like every other wheel thread is an attempt to sell your over priced wheels.
Old 04-07-2007, 03:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 5" BS on a Alumastar rear 15X8 is closer to 5.5" then it is to 5" just like the 15X10 with a 7" BS is closer to a 7.5" BS. Weld just rounds down on the high end Alumastars.....

I had the 15X10's with a 7" BS on a stock width Strange 12 Bolt with 28's...... Roll the fenders a lil... had to anyways with 15X10 7.5" Pro stars....
Be sure to get the 2.25" BS fronts when ya do.....
They look awsome... see below...

Kyle
Old 04-07-2007, 04:12 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jeff M
Damn let the guy run his welds, seems like every other wheel thread is an attempt to sell your over priced wheels.
steve is only here trying to help. i would take bogarts any day over welds
simply because there light and you bolt them on the car with no modifications to brakes or the body of the vehicle.steve quoted me a price on a set of bogarts shipped to my door and they were still cheaper than the welds. just remeber when you order from jegs or summit you dont get free shipping like they say you get hit with all the b.s. handeling and oversize fee.
just my 2 cents though and also with steve from what i was told you have up to a year after you buy the wheels to take advantage of you get a discount on strange rear ends so just think about it before you start knocking this guy hes only here trying to help.
Old 04-07-2007, 04:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

No grinding here..... but i run race brakes...
Old 04-07-2007, 05:11 PM
10 Second Club

most of us here dont run race brakes because alot of us daily drive fromt what i have been told with stock brakes you still have to grind
Old 04-07-2007, 05:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ls1pwrdss
most of us here dont run race brakes because alot of us daily drive fromt what i have been told with stock brakes you still have to grind

i dAILY DRIVE mine rain or shine...........
Old 04-07-2007, 07:20 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Jeff M
Jeff, It's folks like you that make me wonder if I should even bother posting to help. Thank you to the other posters who commented. Your probably one of the people who thing they are saving money by purchasing economy wheels i.e. weld prostar or centerline wheels of whick your LEAVING ~50lbs of converted static weight on your car in comparison to our wheels....then spending another 4-600.00 to save 35lbs of weight when you'd be better off with just our wheels. A wheel is not just a wheel, there are major differences between our wheels and an economy wheel...just as there are major differences between an alumastar and prostar!

I mentioned welds high-end wheels were actually very nice wheels...they atually cost MORE then our wheels as stated above. Not that that is a bad thing...they like ours are worth every penny! They are VERY nice wheels. The only downfall of the alumastar wheels are they are not designed for your F-body so you're limited with backspace options as well as design and fitment.
Old 04-07-2007, 11:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SJM Manufacturing Inc
Jeff, It's folks like you that make me wonder if I should even bother posting to help. Thank you to the other posters who commented. Your probably one of the people who thing they are saving money by purchasing economy wheels i.e. weld prostar or centerline wheels of whick your LEAVING ~50lbs of converted static weight on your car in comparison to our wheels....then spending another 4-600.00 to save 35lbs of weight when you'd be better off with just our wheels. A wheel is not just a wheel, there are major differences between our wheels and an economy wheel...just as there are major differences between an alumastar and prostar!

I mentioned welds high-end wheels were actually very nice wheels...they atually cost MORE then our wheels as stated above. Not that that is a bad thing...they like ours are worth every penny! They are VERY nice wheels. The only downfall of the alumastar wheels are they are not designed for your F-body so you're limited with backspace options as well as design and fitment.

Since when are Welds and Centerline economy wheels? Because they dont cost $1500? Both companies have proved the test of time for several years now in drag racing. No need to get your panties in a knot, it just seems like every time someone is posting about a particular wheel or brand you come in pointing out why bogarts are better than the so called "economy wheels". I personally think bogarts are highly overrated. I'm not trying to be an ***, but I will never own a set of bogarts.

Old 04-08-2007, 01:25 AM
FormerVendor

You really need to read a bit more before you actually post your messages. You seem to be missing quite a bit.

Weld makes high end wheel like their alumastars WHICH ARE ~1600.00 for the set btw (more than the cost of many of our designs) and economy wheels which run ~800.00 like their prostars. …Two completely different wheels with completely different designs with different results. Hmmm I wonder why their high-end wheel costs so much more…it must be only because they like to have high-priced items for no reason…same reason our wheels are in the same ballpark. Centerline drag wheels are about the heaviest styles on the market...nothing to boast about there.

Consider searching a bit more before you make additional comments. You've obviously missed the boat regarding benefits of rotational mass and unsprung weight...they affect performance MUCH greater then static weight.

Regarding test of time…our Bogart products have been around for ~25 years. Our niche is the lightest wheels on the market, and we offer custom designs that curtail to the consumer rather than designing a “one size fits most” wheel which as most know, don’t fit most applications. So why do I boast regarding our benefits…unfortunately there are folks like you that do not know why there are differences.

A wheel is not just round. Unlike you, most do like to hear what we have to offer them and what benefits we can provide to them. You see me post similar responses due to the fact that many do not search or appear to read what there are available on the market. I see after a sticky is posted and complete detailed directions regarding what needs to be ground…how much etc etc with many of the economy wheels out there, people seem to still need help. Those posts many times are only a few days apart.

Go purchase your heavy centerline wheels since you “think” you’ll see the same benefits as a weld alumstar or our wheels…thinking you’re saving money… go and purchase a new k-member and other light-weight parts to make up the differences in weight that you’re trying to remove. Leaving yourself with your heavy centerlines….you’ll be leaving more then 50lbs of converted static weight on your car over our wheels. So you’re saving say 600.00 (and have to do work to make the wheels fit?? 50lb loss is rather large. The k-member a person purchases to save 35 lbs now seems rather small. What are you really saving?

Since wheels are probably the noticeable modification since everyone see’s it…wheels’ rotational weight and unsprung weight concerns are more important pound for pound over static weight…it should be a priority…you are fooling yourself if you think that any economy wheel will compare to the benefits of a high-ended wheel like welds alumastar or our Bogart’s.

My posts had nothing to do with telling this original customer to purchase our wheels instead…I was giving him a professional opinion of which I would hope that he could appreciate. If you have nothing positive to state, then I’d advise not wasting the bandwidth.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:53 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Jeff M, give it a rest. It is clear that you know absolutely nothing when it comes to different grades of wheels, especially if you can't tell the difference between Pro-Stars and Aluma-Stars or Bogarts.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

You really need to read a bit more before you actually post your messages. You seem to be missing quite a bit.

Weld makes high end wheel like their alumastars WHICH ARE ~1600.00 for the set btw (more than the cost of many of our designs) and economy wheels which run ~800.00 like their prostars. …Two completely different wheels with completely different designs with different results. Hmmm I wonder why their high-end wheel costs so much more…it must be only because they like to have high-priced items for no reason…same reason our wheels are in the same ballpark. Centerline drag wheels are about the heaviest styles on the market...nothing to boast about there.

Consider searching a bit more before you make additional comments. You've obviously missed the boat regarding benefits of rotational mass and unsprung weight...they affect performance MUCH greater then static weight.

Regarding test of time…our Bogart products have been around for ~25 years. Our niche is the lightest wheels on the market, and we offer custom designs that curtail to the consumer rather than designing a “one size fits most” wheel which as most know, don’t fit most applications. So why do I boast regarding our benefits…unfortunately there are folks like you that do not know why there are differences.

A wheel is not just round. Unlike you, most do like to hear what we have to offer them and what benefits we can provide to them. You see me post similar responses due to the fact that many do not search or appear to read what there are available on the market. I see after a sticky is posted and complete detailed directions regarding what needs to be ground…how much etc etc with many of the economy wheels out there, people seem to still need help. Those posts many times are only a few days apart.

Go purchase your heavy centerline wheels since you “think” you’ll see the same benefits as a weld alumstar or our wheels…thinking you’re saving money… go and purchase a new k-member and other light-weight parts to make up the differences in weight that you’re trying to remove. Leaving yourself with your heavy centerlines….you’ll be leaving more then 50lbs of converted static weight on your car over our wheels. So you’re saving say 600.00 (and have to do work to make the wheels fit?? 50lb loss is rather large. The k-member a person purchases to save 35 lbs now seems rather small. What are you really saving?

Since wheels are probably the noticeable modification since everyone see’s it…wheels’ rotational weight and unsprung weight concerns are more important pound for pound over static weight…it should be a priority…you are fooling yourself if you think that any economy wheel will compare to the benefits of a high-ended wheel like welds alumastar or our Bogart’s.

My posts had nothing to do with telling this original customer to purchase our wheels instead…I was giving him a professional opinion of which I would hope that he could appreciate. If you have nothing positive to state, then I’d advise not wasting the bandwidth.

Steve,

I understand 100% what your saying. I know where your coming from and understand it.

I know some feel as if every time you post, its a push for your product and sometimes it is and sometimes its not...... there is alot of good info there for people to read and try and understand. Some will and some wont. To each his own i guess. I understand because i have owned almost every set..... ive owned more sets of wheels then most on here could dream of... street or track... I have three sets of track wheels right now LOL
You have to see a set of bogarts in person to compare them....
They are the only set of wheels for a stock F-Body that dont require grinding....

Well my rant is done......

Kyle
Old 04-08-2007, 01:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

dont mind him steve, hes probably one of the guys who want them just ot say hes got big and littles, obviously he doenst care about the weight savings(track guys care about), fit, finish, and wide vairety of options, keep ip the good work man

Quick Reply: Aluma stars