LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

sometimes my car misses shifts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 11:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default sometimes my car misses shifts?

brand new john goebel tranny car is tuned and such (laptop street tune) one thing is my knock sensor comes on and off at idle once it leaves 750 rpms it goes away i know that pulls the timing but i wouldnt think that would stop it shifting sometimes would it?? its been doing this for awhile i can go through the gears 4-5 times then it just does it
Old 04-10-2007, 07:05 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

maybe the govornor is a little bit off
Old 04-10-2007, 11:35 AM
Ray@Nitrous Outlet

The fastest way to find out what is wrong would be to call John....let him know what the car is doing and he can get it fixed for you.

Let me know if you don't have his number
Old 04-10-2007, 08:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Ray@Nitrous Outlet
The fastest way to find out what is wrong would be to call John....let him know what the car is doing and he can get it fixed for you.

Let me know if you don't have his number
well i'v had it scanned a few times everything is normal on handheld and moe didnt say anything.. i got his card in my wallet ill call him tomorrow
Old 04-10-2007, 09:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 78 Posts

What do you mean, "misses a shift"? Do you mean just driving to the grocery store in a 35mph speed zone or do you mean when you're racing at the drag strip at wide open throttle? If you mean the latter, then it may be the infamous OBDI no-shift condition. That is a software fix.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by mightyquickz28
What do you mean, "misses a shift"? Do you mean just driving to the grocery store in a 35mph speed zone or do you mean when you're racing at the drag strip at wide open throttle? If you mean the latter, then it may be the infamous OBDI no-shift condition. That is a software fix.
yea drag racin myself on the street wont race anyone until this **** is fixed and i got tires lol... like i said sometimes it happens most of the time it dont... i got a 6-speed PCM to btw but that shouldnt be a issue all it is says is a my neutral switch or something isnt hooked up
Old 04-10-2007, 10:22 PM
Ray@Nitrous Outlet

Originally Posted by Gun5
i got a 6-speed PCM
if you have a T56 pcm and a 4l60E there might be a problem as there are no elactronics to control an electronic tranny.

I have a T56 PCM and a 700r4 this can be done as the tranny is not electronically controlled
Old 04-10-2007, 10:41 PM
TECH Addict

if you have a T56 pcm and a 4l60E there might be a problem as there are no elactronics to control an electronic tranny.

I have a T56 PCM and a 700r4 this can be done as the tranny is not electronically controlled
moe is the one that gave me the PCM i'd think he would have caught it

i believe the T56 PCM's already have the auto stuff in it, just doesnt work but has extra stuff for the 6-speed.. kinda like a hardtop car has hidden ttops :-P
Old 04-11-2007, 09:46 AM
Ray@Nitrous Outlet

talked with Moe the pcm can be reflashed with the Automatic controls...I was under the understanding that they were 2 different pcm's....you learn something everyday.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:08 PM
Staging Lane

Any more info on this condition? Mine seems to only have this issue when I am at WOT.
Old 04-12-2007, 06:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 95TXTA
Any more info on this condition? Mine seems to only have this issue when I am at WOT.
ya thats how it is at WOT... theres TRANSMISSION SLIP then non-tuned car and this... ill be pm'in ya ray
Old 04-13-2007, 07:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

talked with Moe the pcm can be reflashed with the Automatic controls...I was under the understanding that they were 2 different pcm's....you learn something everyday.
Yup his PCM reads A4, He had a code 43 Knock sensor issue, if the PCM detects knock and pulls timing, and you have a high stall, the problem is more pronounce, most of the time this can be fixed but it can be time consuming, sometimes all it takes it changing the RPM by 100 and the MPH by 2 or 3 and it will solve the problem. Also there is a cable adjustment that they say if it is off by a fraction this will also cause the miss shift...
Old 04-13-2007, 10:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by moehorsepower
Yup his PCM reads A4, He had a code 43 Knock sensor issue, if the PCM detects knock and pulls timing, and you have a high stall, the problem is more pronounce, most of the time this can be fixed but it can be time consuming, sometimes all it takes it changing the RPM by 100 and the MPH by 2 or 3 and it will solve the problem. Also there is a cable adjustment that they say if it is off by a fraction this will also cause the miss shift...
guess we can check this stuff next week.. i was getting rid of the rest of those tires today and i couldnt todo it.. it only does it when i need it to shift the most got me some falken ziex512's
Old 04-17-2007, 09:37 AM
11 Second Club

i'm wondering if that is my problem? went to the track this past friday for the first time with the new 3600 stall. first run i launched from an idle to just get a shake down pass. pulled hard and shifted great. so next time i launched at 2500. 1-2 shift was great but held 2nd gear and bounced the rev limiter. let off and it shifted to 3rd. thought well **** let move the shifter this time. third run same thing. bounced rev limiter and shifted when i let off.put it back on the trailer and was done for the day! had pcm reflashed for the 3600 stall before i even drove it. governer or pcm?
Old 04-17-2007, 10:07 AM
TECH Addict

Flashed for the 3600 stall? What parameter is that? Are you using LT1 Edit or TunerCat or ????

Originally Posted by grn95t/a
i'm wondering if that is my problem? went to the track this past friday for the first time with the new 3600 stall. first run i launched from an idle to just get a shake down pass. pulled hard and shifted great. so next time i launched at 2500. 1-2 shift was great but held 2nd gear and bounced the rev limiter. let off and it shifted to 3rd. thought well **** let move the shifter this time. third run same thing. bounced rev limiter and shifted when i let off.put it back on the trailer and was done for the day! had pcm reflashed for the 3600 stall before i even drove it. governer or pcm?
Old 04-17-2007, 10:09 AM
11 Second Club

using pcm4less. sent my pcm to bryan and he reprogrammed it for the 3600 stall.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:56 AM
11 Second Club

found out today that my problem is in the pcm. i have what they call the obd1 stall wall. pcm boxed up and shipped to pcm4less. thank godness not the tranny!
Old 04-18-2007, 08:04 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah. That's been documented for years and years on the LT1 edit list. It's editable by guys with Tunercat but not LT1 Edit for some reason. It's a diagnostic transmission threshold. You just elevate the RPM level that triggers it and modify a couple of other settings and the problem is gone. There's a guy with the correct settings portrayed on his web page, showing the Tunercat screens. Here's the link
http://good-times.webshots.com/album/554105334kOjaYY
Old 04-19-2007, 04:08 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah. That's been documented for years and years on the LT1 edit list. It's editable by guys with Tunercat but not LT1 Edit for some reason. It's a diagnostic transmission threshold. You just elevate the RPM level that triggers it and modify a couple of other settings and the problem is gone. There's a guy with the correct settings portrayed on his web page, showing the Tunercat screens. Here's the link
http://good-times.webshots.com/album/554105334kOjaYY
sounds just like my problem shifts some times then other times nothing just bouncing randomly... i wasnt able to meet moe this week he called but i wasnt home

Quick Reply: sometimes my car misses shifts?