LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Lingenfelter CAI - LPE

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 12:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Lingenfelter CAI - LPE

I'm hoping to find some good information on the Lingenfelter CAI for my 95 Z28's LT1.

How does the LPE affix to the bodywork - does it bolt or screw into something to secure the filter or does it just rest or hang in place? I've been told it includes a heat shield to separate the engine air from the filter. Does this block fasten to something? This is important because the CAI I now have just dangles down into a nacelle in front of the wheel. After having one car with the K&N CAI that was fastened solidly my cheap chromeintakes looks like junk and I want to replace it.

A picture of the lower portion of the LPE for the Camaro would be worth a thousand words here but the single picture on the Lingenfelter website doesn't show much, especially the parts I'm interested in. Any particular information would be appreciated as I don't want to just buy the LPE without seeing or knowing how or if the lower portion attaches to the car. Thanks very much.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h2.../Intake003.jpg
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h2...ake-resize.gif
Old 04-16-2007, 01:54 PM
Launching!

Yep, mine is just like that. I drilled one hole to turn the block off plate a bit.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:09 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks very much! Can you tell me if you would buy the LPE again or do you think there's something better for the price range?

Thanks again!
Old 04-16-2007, 03:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had mine since 1995 and I love it....I have modified it a hair by taking off the splash pan and running a large by huge K&N with a stud on the end that bolts to an existing hole from the splash pan...that way its secured top and bottom and is out in the air under there...I think they are still $159 from LPE...good deal...

--Alan
Old 04-16-2007, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've been trying to recommend LPE to everyone. It's the cheapest and very good quality. I would get another if I had to.

Your supposed to drill holes in the metal and bolt down the heat shield. But I was like F that, it's fine how it is.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:45 PM
11 Second Club

i got it on my 94 trans am and i works perfectly and i would bye it again no doubt.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:44 AM
TECH Resident

I'm a little confused because the add states that the huge S&B conical filter is included with the V8 model. I see on their website that the filter is listed separately. Shipping weight shows 2 LBS. I'm just a little concerned that the shipping weight is too low to include the filter. Did anyone here NOT get the filter with the kit?
Old 04-17-2007, 01:42 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only thing I don't like about mine is it doesn't clamp onto the MAF very good, it wants to push it out the more you tighten it.
Old 04-18-2007, 05:59 AM
TECH Resident

I ordered the kit (#LN0041). Hoping to post one more time on the results. Trying to visualize how ABA383 has it modified; sounds like a track only thing with it unshielded - is that right? Thanks everyone for your help.
Old 04-18-2007, 03:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 01Z28M6
I ordered the kit (#LN0041). Hoping to post one more time on the results. Trying to visualize how ABA383 has it modified; sounds like a track only thing with it unshielded - is that right? Thanks everyone for your help.
I'll try to get some photos of it...No its not track only....It hangs the filter down a bit but does not get wet when it rains...It gets nice, fresh air for sure, though and won't fall off and get run over...

--Alan
Old 04-18-2007, 06:41 PM
Launching!

i bought mine 2yrs ago for $150 shipped. I was looking at the moroso at the time, but heard that they were the same.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:12 AM
TECH Resident

I got the CAI from Lingenfelter within 48 hours after the order. Here's what the whole thing looks like before installation. Alan, please post any pictures of how you modified. Thanks!

Really nice parts and a terrific bargain IMHO.

The filter is huge and the ducting is at maximum diameter.

This will replace my chromeintakes - no comparison - wishing I had not spent the money on it. The LPE is as light as it can be but rigid enough. The block off plate is quite thin and flexible but it doesn't support any weight.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

chrome intakes?
I got one for cheap......haven't installed it yet.......are they really that bad?

Let me know how big of an improvement you get
Old 04-19-2007, 10:58 AM
TECH Resident

I'll post some pictures of what mine looks like when I put the LPE on. I won't be dyno-ing these so power improvement wont' be part of any report and SOP power is just what our imaginations want it to be.

Basically I could only use the elbow and filter; it interfered with closing the hood otherwise. I ended up wrapping duct tape around the tube to bring it up to the diameter of the intermediate factory ducting and used that. The thing just dangles because at the time I bought mine there was no fasteners of any sort with the "kit". It truly looks ghetto so I'm all happy about the Lingenfelter that looks anything but that.
Old 04-21-2007, 08:18 PM
TECH Resident

Here's the comparo of my old chromeintakes and the LPE kit but first let me explain that I chose not to use the entire chromeintakes kit because the intermediate tube made contact with my factory hood before closing. I could force the hood down but that was just too much compromise for me. I will also show another reason I chose not to use all the chromeintakes parts further into the post.

another view

the chromeintakes dangles unblocked and unsupported into the nacelle

using the factory flattened intermediate tube so the hood would close without interference

because the chromeintakes coupler was used I needed support within the factory intermediate

tape to modify the chromeintakes tube to fit their own coupler - another reason I went back to the factory intermediate

to use the whole kit a reducer is used

necked down to this size

The smallest the LPE kit ducting goes is the outside diameter of the MAF and why I'm so excited to replace my ebay CAI with the LPE - so absolutely custom fit. Here's a few in process installation pics.

LPE block-off plate

LPE block-off plate with tube

LPE CAI tube in place

two left on ebay for $159.95 BIN - ends 4-22-07
Old 04-28-2007, 09:17 PM
TECH Resident

I'm truly happy with the upgrade to the LPE cold air intake so I thought I would cap the whole thing off with these two pictures for anyone wanting to see the finished product. I sprayed the area with an encapsulator paint and drilled holes for with the fastener pins supplied in the kit.

nice solid mount
Old 04-29-2007, 09:50 PM
Launching!

I made 275 to the wheels with this intake and a flowmaster muffler last year. I have more mods now. So, i don't what i'm putting out.

Quick Reply: Lingenfelter CAI - LPE