Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

An STS Trailblazer SS is Born

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 10:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default An STS Trailblazer SS is Born

We just finished the install and tune on a 2007 Trailblazer SS, now a 2007 TBSS Turbo! I have to say after driving this thing, if it werent for the fuel economy, I would be tempted to sell my vette and buy one of these. Very very smooth riding vehicle, nice interior trim, and it MOVES! Especially now, what a torque monster!

Stock (LS2 400fwhp): ~290rwhp/280rwtq
Turbo(6psi with conservative tune): 430rwhp/510rwtq

PICTURES:
http://www.jlturbo.com/tbss.html

Unfortunately, this one is not the AWD so I dont know if we will break into the 12's with it, but we shall see. The AWD TBSS's are cutting some sick 60' times. Not sure how this one will hook, but it is heavy enough.
Old 04-19-2007, 11:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Clean work! Any vids?
Old 04-19-2007, 11:07 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's some wicked torque. Congrats on getting it finished. My problem is traction also, but I rarely go to the track anyhow so no biggy for me.
Old 04-19-2007, 11:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
Clean work! Any vids?
Thanks. No video yet, but soon. Also waiting on my partner to give me the dyno sheet so we can scan it and add it up there on the site.

Also note, there are two mufflers on this beast. One is a huge muffler that sits right in the middle where the turbo is now. It probably weighs just as much as the turbo too, so really no extra weight is added there. Then there is another muffler behind the rear axle. The STS kit adapts right into the stock pipes and routes into the rear muffler. With that said, you can imagine how quiet the setup is. It is a pure sleeper now. Watch out Cayenne Turbo! No chance in hell.
Only when you get on it do you hear the turbo. Very very nice sound too. I am in love with this thing. I was actually a bit worried that with a stock muffler and intercooler, we would deal with some lag. No worries at all, impressively, it spools right up. No noticable lag at all.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:03 PM
SSU Moderator

Does the turbo hang lower than that muffler did? It looks level with the frame, but you can never tell with pictures. What is done to the motor besides the tune?
Old 04-19-2007, 12:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RyanJ
Does the turbo hang lower than that muffler did? It looks level with the frame, but you can never tell with pictures. What is done to the motor besides the tune?
From memory I believe the turbo actually sits just above the frame, definitely not lower. At worst, it sits level. TR6 plugs and 52# injectors FTW!
Old 04-19-2007, 02:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

very nice STS set up - you will get props from me -- others on this board will mock the choice of rear mount but i love it
Old 04-19-2007, 04:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

very nice, KILLER tq by the way
Old 04-19-2007, 04:43 PM
Staging Lane

Hey, is that SS the same guy that I met at the dyno when we were tuning my car?
Old 04-19-2007, 04:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a couple of questions... How much is the drivetrain sucking from the engine?? Since it's just a two wheel drive and an automatic it should be around 320rwhp (give or take) My question is why did it dyno so low in stock form??? Please don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing....Merely inquiring because I'm not very familiar with everything on this vehicle...

Sick numbers btw...It's going to be a street monster to say the least... Can't wait to see what it does when you turn the wick up a bit more...
Old 04-19-2007, 05:09 PM
TECH Resident

Video!!!
Old 04-20-2007, 07:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 98turbls1
I have a couple of questions... How much is the drivetrain sucking from the engine?? Since it's just a two wheel drive and an automatic it should be around 320rwhp (give or take) My question is why did it dyno so low in stock form??? Please don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing....Merely inquiring because I'm not very familiar with everything on this vehicle...

Sick numbers btw...It's going to be a street monster to say the least... Can't wait to see what it does when you turn the wick up a bit more...
HEAT+HUMIDITY! It is a HP killer here in the SoFLA tropics! Dyno room temps were around 95*. Heat is also why it didnt make high numbers on boost. Intercooler started to get heatsoaked on the dyno, it was about 120* IAT's, dyno room fans kickin as hard as they could. Max timing the beast would take without retarding was 10-11*. Even after SLIGHTLY desensitising the knock sensors and adjusting attack and decay rates, it still wouldnt take over that. I blame heat and the fact that these 07's are little babies when it comes to knock. The knock detection seems to be way too sensitive. We have tuned countless FI cars. With the conservative AFR, intercooler, and low timing of this one, there is NO reason for it to be picking up knock and no audible knock was present at all the entire time. Either way, nevertheless it is still making great power.

Quick Reply: An STS Trailblazer SS is Born