LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

2nd time broken down. Car will not start even w/ spark

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 01:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Location: king of prussia, pa (home) and williamsport, pa (school)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2nd time broken down. Car will not start even w/ spark

Whats up guys,

Well, heres what happened. I'll start off by saying my car runs quite rich and i need to get retuned. I was on the highway, messin around with a friends s2000. we both ran a bit, but i never redlines, nor went full throttle. needless to say, i still spanked him. once i hit 4th gear, engine shutoff. There was NO multiple popping.

So, i called matt at hsw and asked for his opinion. I took a plug off #1 cylinder and held it up to the block and my buddy tried crankin it over. It sparked. This means the opti is ok. Matt told me to change out the plugs. So, i put brand new tr55's in there gapped correctly.

STILL NO STARTUP.

It makes a few 'pops' and then doesnt start up. The serp belt turns over. Im thinking fuel delivery is the problem?

Any ideas???????????

Thanks in advance ... Joe
Old 04-19-2007, 02:25 PM
KTM
On The Tree

Put a guage on the fuel pressure line and check your fuel.

Take the oil fill cap off and look down at a rocker while the engine is cranking...make sure it is moving...could have broke a timing chain. I'm not sure if these motors will crash the valves into the pistons or not. If not - you may not noticed a broken chain. You typically notice if the valves run into pistons though...very bad sounds happen, lol.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:12 PM
KTM
On The Tree

Ooops...my bad...I guess if you are getting spark - your timing chain is intact...as the dist. is run off the cam. Back to fuel pressure I guess..
Old 04-19-2007, 05:23 PM
Launching!

Like said by KTM check your fuel pressure. If its good unplug the maf and see if it starts. If that doesnt do it check to be sure your injectors are working. If your injectors are working then your Map sensor is next. Do these tests and post up what your results are. If you want to know if your injectors are working a) you should be able to hear them click when you are trying to start it b) if you cant hear them while trying to start jump the pins with a 9v battery and some wire you should here clicking then for sure.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

just scanned the car. only code being thrown the code for skip shift .. which doesnt help me at all. I guess im gonna have to get a fuel pressure gauge and hook it up to the schraeder valve
Old 04-20-2007, 03:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ya sounds like a fuel issue to me also.
Old 04-20-2007, 03:23 PM
KTM
On The Tree

can you hear the fuel pump when you turn the key to the 'on' position without starting ? You could also crack the fuel filter fitting and see if you get any fuel out...Guage would be best of course, but if you don't have one - you can improvise to see if your are getting fuel....
Old 04-21-2007, 07:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hmm intersting. i still have to mess around with it. hopefully its somethin simple like a fuel pump swap.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

UPDATE:

I hooked up a fuel pressure gauge to the shrader valve, and turned the key to accessory. It read perfecly at 42 psi. Is there anything else that could be the culprit besides the pump????

thanks

Quick Reply: 2nd time broken down. Car will not start even w/ spark