Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mid Engine LS2 Bellhousing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 01:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mid Engine LS2 Bellhousing?

I want to put a LS-2 engine directly against a Corvette transaxle. Is there a bellhousing or kit that will do this?
Looks like a Cadillac STS bellhousing might work??
Buiding a mid-engined car, and want to move the engine back as far as possible.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:32 PM
Teching In

I cannot help you with your question regarding the bellhousing, but if you want to move the engine further back you may want to look at different transmission options. The C5 setup isn't really a typical transaxle. It is a T-56 with the differential housing bolted directly to its end. You would have to sit pretty far forward or have a pretty long wheelbase to accommodate what you're planning. It can be done and I am sure that it has been. It depends on your car though.

You could instead look into a transaxle like the Porsche G50. The axle outputs are further forward on these, so you can scoot everything probably about 2-3 feet further back than with the C5 setup. They are also pretty stout and are cable-shifted. A lot of GT-40 kit car builders use them.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

go with the G50s. they have been alot of mid engined conversions using the SBC, and now the LS stuff, using these boxes. they have proven to take MASSIVE abuse and hold up strong. german engineering for you! lol

do a quick google and im sure you will come up with some suppliers. otherwise let us know and there are a coupple of places thati can think of that might help!

Chris.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:27 AM

the factory five super car uses a g50. they might even sell u the adapter plate they make if u talk to them.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:50 AM
SSU'S Vice Mod

The question is...what are you trying to achieve and what is it going into?

You can achieve significant 50/50 or -50 / +50 weight bias with a front engine, tq tube, rear transaxle.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:05 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ovaltrakr
I want to put a LS-2 engine directly against a Corvette transaxle. Is there a bellhousing or kit that will do this?
Looks like a Cadillac STS bellhousing might work??
Buiding a mid-engined car, and want to move the engine back as far as possible.
What you're asking to do is fairly simple. The T56 transaxle as used in the vette isn't exactly a transaxle. Its a T56 with a special input section (to mate up to the torque tube) and a special tailshaft housing to mount directly to the rear axle center section.

Basically, you need a hybrid T56 built. You'll want either:
1.) the F-body bellhousing / f-body input shaft / f-body front plate installed in a C5 trans
or
2.) The C5 tailshaft housing installed on a F-body T56. I'm not sure if anything other changes are necessary for the F-body T56 to accomodate the C5 tailshaft housing.

Now, as these other guys have mentioned, there are other, significantly shorter solutions, since the T56 fits in between the engine and rear (meaning the bellhousing surface and the axle shaft centerlines are seperated by like 2.5 feet (rough dimensions)). As an example, the G50 puts the axle centerlines about a foot (again rough dimensions) behind the bellhousing surface. That 1.5 foot differance is not insignificant.

'JustDreamin'
Old 04-25-2007, 10:50 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think I'd go so far as to say the G50 can take "MASSIVE abuse", but is is a reasonable popular transaxle for mid-engined use. The problem is that it takes some $$$ to get it prepared. You will need to turn it upside down to get the rotation correct. Then you will of course need to re-drill the fill and drain ports. Additionally, it is recommended to add a spray bar system to ensure adequate lubrication. Once you're done with that, the ratios will be a little short if it is going to be used in a light weight car. Re-gearing is available at a cost.

To date, the 930 is the most durable of the street Porsche transaxles. 700HP is a common number associated with what they can take. The ring gear measures 9 1/8" diameter! It has very nice V8 gearing, though it is a 4 speed.

Andy1
Old 04-26-2007, 01:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Andy, the G50s have been used for quite a while in V8 cars over here. they are robust and can take the hammer. but you are right it does cost more to have them built!

one G50 builder told me the stock Turbo or GT2 boxes can take about 700lbsft in a 1500kg car. now if you can get some of that weight of (say down to 1000kg) you will make the boxs life a lot easier!

i have heard great things about the 930 to.

here is a company in the UK (they can ship cars out to the states) that might give some ideas. http://www.ultimasportscars.co.uk/

thanks Chris.

Quick Reply: Mid Engine LS2 Bellhousing?