Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The dredded "ticking" noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 09:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The dredded "ticking" noise

I have a basically stock 2000 Z28 A4 with approximately 60,000mi. on it.

First Thing: I have been hearing a "ticking" noise from what sounds like the top driver's side of the engine. I know the LS1's are notorious for lifters ticking, and I'm almost positive this is the problem. The oil pressure is great, and the ticking noise seems to go away when the car warms up. Is there any way that I could check to see if it is a bad lifter without pulling the heads off? I was told by someone to try using thinner oil (Mobil 1 5w30 full synthetic) first to see if the ticking stops.

Second Thing: If it is a bad lifter, is it extremely important to get it fixed RIGHT away?? Because I am on a limited budget right now. It's not my DD, so I do not drive it much. I want to put a larger cam in it in the near future, not sure on the exact size yet, so should I just wait to replace the lifters when I get a new cam installed. I want the car to remain very streetable, so I will not be going with a HUGE cam. Will the LS7 lifters work well?
Old 05-01-2007, 10:05 PM
On The Tree

I think you might be hearing piston slap, judging by it going away when it warms up
Old 05-01-2007, 10:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldnt say they're "notorious" for noisy lifters..They are the same lifters as every other newer SBC/LT1 uses.
Lifter changes on as LSX require cylinder head removal,so as long as your oil pressure is good..then it isn't your lifters..If your actually had a bad lifter,you would need to change it ASAP.This is because of the accompaning low oil pressure would evntually ruin engine bearings...Bad lifters also greatly reduce power output.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Black C5 Z06
I think you might be hearing piston slap, judging by it going away when it warms up

If it was a lifter, it wouldnt go away after its warm.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds to me like piston slap..... mine does the same
Old 05-02-2007, 01:04 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bet it is piston slap. Both my LS1's do it.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

My LS1 does it but only a very little. My 04 5.3 Silverado is much worse. And my dad's 02 6.0 Denali is about the same as my truck but his has 110k on it. They all do it to some degree and it doesn't seem to affect longevity of the motor. It's just annoying. The ones I've heard with the actual piston slap were much much worse though, about to the point of sounding like a rod knocking. This I would be concerned about.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:02 AM
On The Tree

It's probably piston slap if it goes away after warmed up, and the pistons expands. It could be a tiny exhaust leak, but doubtlful, unless you are running headers.
You have 2 easy optins. 1: Get a loud exhaust system, or 2: turn up the music.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:49 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by badblueZ
I have a basically stock 2000 Z28 A4 with approximately 60,000mi. on it.

First Thing: I have been hearing a "ticking" noise from what sounds like the top driver's side of the engine.
This may sound stupid, BUT my car makes a loud "ticking" noise from the drivers side valve cover area when warm. and Its a solenoid (evap purge I think) doing its normal cycling First time I heard it I thought it was lifter tick too... maybe you're hearing the same thing? Just a thought
Old 05-02-2007, 06:50 PM
Teching In

Thanks for you input everyone. I've had several people tell me when they're standing outside of the car while it's running that it sounds like a lifter. But that's usually when it's a cold start. I'll do a little more investigating before I come to a definate conclusion.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by badblueZ
Thanks for you input everyone. I've had several people tell me when they're standing outside of the car while it's running that it sounds like a lifter. But that's usually when it's a cold start. I'll do a little more investigating before I come to a definate conclusion.
This sounds completely normal as long as it's a tick and not a knock that you can actually feel.
Old 05-03-2007, 03:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

piston slap is common, my car club (northstar camaro club mn) got to tour TPIS speed shop awhile back. they had a fresh rebuilt LS1 corvette engine on their dyno. that even had that tick / piston slap untill they revved it up. then it sounded real stout. if you search "piston slap" there will be tons of threads and comments about this. as long as its a minor tick , dont worry! just my 2 cents! now get out there and burn a rubber road to freedom!