Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Difference in Bilstein's HD & SLP?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 10:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difference in Bilstein's HD & SLP?

What is the freakin difference??

93-02 Bilstein HD Shock Package (Set of 4) $349.99
Improve handling with these precision Bilstein Mono-tube high pressure shocks. The single tube designed shock is filled with oil and nitrogen gas in a pressured, sealed compartment. A dividing piston exerts constant pressure on the oil, which eliminates any oil foaming.

93-02 SLP Bilstein Shock Package $382.95
These shocks are built to SLP's specifications by Bilstein and are for use in road racing applications. They give excellent control for daily driving and provide a competitive edge on the road course. The shocks are valved to produce a comfortable, yet firm ride on the street. But they also perform like a race shock during road course maneuvers. The ultimate in a non adjustable dual-purpose shock.

**Copied from WS6store.com**
Old 05-09-2007, 11:30 PM
TECH Resident

SLPs are revalved to SLP's specs. I don't know what they are, but my understanding is that the SLPs are valved to give a balance of handling and ride comfort with stock springs. HD's probably won't be much different.

Since you're lowered, you'll probably be just about as good with HDs over SLPs. Of course, there's also going to be some who'll recommend Strano revalves (which are valves specifically for your car).

Again, just my guess - I'm certain others will be able to give more specific differences.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm putting my stock springs in when I get new shocks.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:28 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

I sell HD's for $349. But I use an older rear valving that nobody else does because last year Bilstein screwed up a "new and improved" version. The Hd's one gets from me are not the same as what everyone else has. SLP's version (and I also carry those) are tweaked for SLP springs. They add more rebound in the front shocks, which is good for performance... but they also take compression damping out, which isn't so hot. And in the rear there is no difference.

Basically, I'm not crazy about the cataloged HD's, or the SLP shocks. BTW, those pics and descriptions are pure sale pitches (and while the pics of the SLP shocks are indeed F-body shocks, the pics of "hd's" are not--they are actually truck shocks.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 05-10-2007, 03:57 PM
TECH Resident

I have always wondered this myself seeing I have the SLP Bilstein suspension on my car from the factory.

So, Sam, are your HD's a good choice for those of us who have the stock SLP Bilstein suspension with the SLP variable springs?
Old 05-10-2007, 04:35 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

No. Either stay with what you have, being they are at least valved to be a ok match, where HD's weren't. Or, when the SLP shocks become overly soft, move up to Koni's.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 05-10-2007, 07:20 PM
TECH Resident

Like I said - others would give more specific differences. As usual, it was the man himself. Thanks, Sam.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Not to get off subject but does the SLP Bilstein and Spring package drop the car any? I am considering this setup because I heard it is a minimal drop (1" or less) and a better option to my decarbon shocks and stock springs which need replacing.
Old 05-11-2007, 08:28 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by stockerws6
Not to get off subject but does the SLP Bilstein and Spring package drop the car any? I am considering this setup because I heard it is a minimal drop (1" or less) and a better option to my decarbon shocks and stock springs which need replacing.

take a look at my pics and judge for yourself. I have the SLP issued Bilstein suspension. It's definitely lower than the non-equipped cars, but don't know how much.
http://www.fquick.com/garages/viewga...php?carid=2372
Old 05-11-2007, 08:29 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
No. Either stay with what you have, being they are at least valved to be a ok match, where HD's weren't. Or, when the SLP shocks become overly soft, move up to Koni's.
thanks!
Old 05-11-2007, 11:16 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by stockerws6
Yes, an SLP kit lowers the car bit (about 1/2-3/4"). But what I usually do is opt to run the Koni's and use their provision to lower the car with the stock springs. Cost is similar (Koni's start @ $740 vs. I think about $677 for the SLP stuff), you get around a 5/8-3/4" drop in front, about 1/2 in the rear, and shocks with a lot more flexibility. Why do I like this better? Pretty much because the dampers are much more important to a good working car than is a spring change. Not that springs don't help improve the car, but the dampers are the key in my opinion.

Old 05-11-2007, 01:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JR HAWK 9
take a look at my pics and judge for yourself. I have the SLP issued Bilstein suspension. It's definitely lower than the non-equipped cars, but don't know how much.
http://www.fquick.com/garages/viewga...php?carid=2372
Thanks for the pics JR Hawk, that is a very nice stance.
Old 05-11-2007, 01:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Yes, an SLP kit lowers the car bit (about 1/2-3/4"). But what I usually do is opt to run the Koni's and use their provision to lower the car with the stock springs. Cost is similar (Koni's start @ $740 vs. I think about $677 for the SLP stuff), you get around a 5/8-3/4" drop in front, about 1/2 in the rear, and shocks with a lot more flexibility. Why do I like this better? Pretty much because the dampers are much more important to a good working car than is a spring change. Not that springs don't help improve the car, but the dampers are the key in my opinion.
Thanks for the info Sam. 1/2"-3/4" drop is about what I am looking for (maybe as much as 1"). I will need to give you a call to discuss further. Thanks again!
Old 05-14-2007, 06:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My new SLP springs did not drop the front of my car but they did drop the rear 1/2". I know it doesn't seem like much but 1/2" really closed the rear fender gap.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:03 AM
11 Second Club

I had my SLP levelII for about 2 years now and it's OK but the front is a bit too spungy to my taste. The shocks/struts are for levelII but I believe they are the same valvings as the regular SLP shocks/struts.

If I had to do it again, I would go with some koni's for the front.

The car lowered a bit in front and rear but not by much.

Old 05-14-2007, 09:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies guys! Your info is very helpful. I think I am probably going to go with Bilstein Revalves and Hotchkis springs. I just hope the drop will not be too much more then 1".