Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions about TransGo Shiftkit

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 02:49 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions about TransGo Shiftkit

I just bought a Z28 auto -94 with 37000 miles on it. It is totally stock right now. IŽam about to change the transmission oil and filter, and was thinking of install a Transgo shiftkit when i still got the pan down.

Question: Will i get faster up- and down shifts? Advantages/disadvantages? Will the shifts be too hard for daily driving? Other opinions?

//J
Old 05-10-2007, 02:56 AM
On The Tree

mine does real good, i got the higher level i guess, mine had to be professionally installed. it shifts really really hard. in my other z i had just a normal trans go shift kit installed in it and it didn't shift quite as hard as my new one, but i think i actually liked it better than the new one. they shift real crisp and alot faster, they prob be alil harder on rear end i guess. i daily drive mine and love it. everyone also says they'll prolong the life of your trans!
Old 05-10-2007, 03:02 AM
Teching In

Thanks for your reply. Did you use "level 2" on the shiftkit to your new car?
Old 05-10-2007, 03:15 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Mr J
Thanks for your reply. Did you use "level 2" on the shiftkit to your new car?
yeah its this one http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TRANS...spagenameZWDVW
Old 05-10-2007, 03:22 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by stroked383z
Okay, maybe i should go for valve 1 in my setup for now..
Old 05-10-2007, 04:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IIRC, The trick to avoid the hard shifts is to modify the valve body.
I have the modified vavle body with 2 washers and it does not shift any harder than stock. But it is firm and quick when under boost. It also completely stopped the slipping that started when I added the turbo.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is there a writeup on how to install these?
Old 05-10-2007, 03:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cals400ex
is there a writeup on how to install these?
It comes with the kit, instructions.
Not to be a smartass but follow them or take the advice of a well known builder that knows your car, not someone who's done it once and thinks they're a pro now.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:02 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

The shift kit will make it feel like a totally different car. You will love it. But, as was said above, if you don't know what you're doing, find somebody who does. That might be tough with a 4L60e in Sweden ...
Old 05-11-2007, 12:47 AM
Teching In

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by RevGTO
The shift kit will make it feel like a totally different car. You will love it. But, as was said above, if you don't know what you're doing, find somebody who does. That might be tough with a 4L60e in Sweden ...
Thanks for all replys.
Do you think i should test 1 washer at first?
Camaro and the transmission 4L60e is in fact relatively common here in Sweden. But the range of camaro-accessories here is about 1% of what you guys have in the states.
Old 05-11-2007, 01:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

i just got done w/ mine a week or so ago. being trained to work on H/D Alison trannies, it was easy for me but id imagine if you have never done anything like it, t would be intimidating. my take on it for a DD would be (and this was advice given from the couple of tranny sponsors here as well)

1. do all the valve body work but dont screw w/ the manual valve (def get an updated seporator plate from trans go)
2. drill the holes
3. get the parts to update to the corvettservo
4. make sure you have the updated acumulator pistons
5. install the bigger boost valve
6. install the valve body screen mod

other than those things leave everything stock if you like comfort and quick shifts. dont mess w/ the front acum, 1-2 and 3-4 housings if you dont want it to be too snappy. my 1-2 shift is harsh at anything over 1/4 throttle. when i drop the pan next ill be putting the acumulator housings back to stock. ive also been told to not do anything to the front housing at all actualy. just make sure you replace the plastic piston if you have one. i think in the newer trans-go kits you dont get any parts to screw w/ the front acum anyways. im sure im leaving some stuff out but hope that helps.

corey
Old 05-11-2007, 09:31 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Omec
i just got done w/ mine a week or so ago. being trained to work on H/D Alison trannies, it was easy for me but id imagine if you have never done anything like it, t would be intimidating. my take on it for a DD would be (and this was advice given from the couple of tranny sponsors here as well)

1. do all the valve body work but dont screw w/ the manual valve (def get an updated seporator plate from trans go)
2. drill the holes

other than those things leave everything stock if you like comfort and quick shifts. dont mess w/ the front acum, 1-2 and 3-4 housings if you dont want it to be too snappy. my 1-2 shift is harsh at anything over 1/4 throttle. when i drop the pan next ill be putting the acumulator housings back to stock. ive also been told to not do anything to the front housing at all actualy. just make sure you replace the plastic piston if you have one. i think in the newer trans-go kits you dont get any parts to screw w/ the front acum anyways. im sure im leaving some stuff out but hope that helps.

corey
Sounds like excellent advice

Call 888-744-6542

Old 05-11-2007, 09:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr J
...Do you think i should test 1 washer at first?...
The general concensus is that 2 washers are best for a street car. Unless you just like working on your transmission.
Old 05-11-2007, 03:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by koolaid_kid
The general concensus is that 2 washers are best for a street car. Unless you just like working on your transmission.
IIRC and from what I've seen the '94 4L60E has a shallow 1-2 accumulator housing, it's equal to a '98 and later with one washer.
And being that it's a Z28 it should have the vette type servo in it already.
Old 05-11-2007, 04:22 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by performabuilt
Sounds like excellent advice
what do you recommend as for how many washers to put in on the transgo HD2 kit? let's assume we are looking for quick, firm shifts at low throttle with considerable bit at WOT, but at the same time, we are looking to prolong the life of the clutches. let's assume we don't want the shifts so hard they'll break the planets or any other internals.

would you recommend 1 or 2 springs? i know that 3 is out of the question as that could damage internals due to a lot of shift pressure.
Old 05-11-2007, 04:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Omec

2. drill the holes

corey
The directions SUCK, read them at least 2 times, but calling TransGo helps, they're pretty good over the phone. Not all of the parts/springs are used.

Something else, if you ever decide to have a "tune" done, the line pressures have to be left at stock. Anything more with the larger boost valve will be hell.
Separator plate- If you're not going to run a stall, drill the plate to the smallest holes, the kit comes with bits. If you drill the plate to the largest hole, you're going to have neck snapping shifts. This is with no washers. I have the same trans in my truck, and I have the largest hole drilled for the 1-2 shift, and it'll chirp the tires at half throttle. At WOT the 1-2 shift will spin the tires.
Separator plate screens - I'd get another set, they're really small and very easy to break if you're not gental with them.
Bags - open one bag at a time, and keep those parts together. Don't open the bags until you come to that step.

Here's some pics that might help out.

http://s122.photobucket.com/albums/o...TransGo%20HD2/
Old 05-11-2007, 04:40 PM
PBA
TECH Resident

Received 76 Likes on 47 Posts

I build these units all the time for vehicles that have well over 450HP and I "do not" use the washers on any of them. The shifts will be smoother around town, and plenty firm when you are on it. This will give you the best chance at transmission longevity. Once you understand accumulation, it is somewhat easy to get best of both worlds, smooth part throttle shifts, with the shifts getting firmer with more throttle.
Old 05-11-2007, 05:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
what do you recommend as for how many washers to put in on the transgo HD2 kit? let's assume we are looking for quick, firm shifts at low throttle with considerable bit at WOT, but at the same time, we are looking to prolong the life of the clutches. let's assume we don't want the shifts so hard they'll break the planets or any other internals.

would you recommend 1 or 2 springs? i know that 3 is out of the question as that could damage internals due to a lot of shift pressure.
The washers only change the feel of the 1-2 shift. Not the 2-3 or the 3-4.
What springs are you talking about?
Old 05-11-2007, 05:50 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by 8a8mfh
The washers only change the feel of the 1-2 shift. Not the 2-3 or the 3-4.
What springs are you talking about?
i have no idea what i'm talking about. all i know is one day, i'd like to get a transgo HD-2 kit put in. my goal would be firm/crisp but easy shifts at light throttle for the purpose of traction during rain/snow (can't be breaking the tires loose on ice) and to be easy on the trans/rear during normal driving. however, i'd like to be able to chirp the 1-2 shift at WOT. i'm not looking for back-breaking, neck-snapping shifts, but i want it to have quite a bit of bite at WOT but at the same time, not harm the trans. i want this to do nothing but benefit the trans and make a more fun driving experience.

i'd also likely put a sonnax 1-2 and 4th servo along with the updated aluminum accumulator pistons - just stuff that can be put on without cracking open the trans.

my only debate is 1 washer or 2.
Old 05-11-2007, 06:03 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369

Like PBA we do not use the spacers at all , In fact other than the upgraded pistons we leave the accumulators stock , We do however use the larger hole sizes on all our units with the exception of our heavy hauler series. Shifts work out perfectly firm but very reasonable at light throttle getting progressivly firmer as throttle is increased. Of course with the super servos in the level 2 and 3 they are considerably firmer also.

Call 888-744-6542

Quick Reply: Opinions about TransGo Shiftkit