General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

AC Compessor in '98 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 04:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC Compessor in '98 Camaro

Had the car put on a lift at a shop and they showed me where the compressor is leaking. It was a Tuffy auto center.

Here's the piece of paper they gave me.

A/C Compressor - $600
A/C Dryer - $196.99
Leak Check with Dye - $19.95
Evaluate/Recharge + Refrigerant - $69.99
Labor - $187.50

Total Plus tax + $1,203.14

I was shocked!!!

I also found out that the pinion seal is leaking and I need new front tires and an alignment.

Suggestions?? I may try and tackle putting that stuff on myself.
Old 06-07-2007, 04:31 PM
bsf
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by speedy_2
Had the car put on a lift at a shop and they showed me where the compressor is leaking. It was a Tuffy auto center.

A/C Compressor - $600
A/C Dryer - $196.99
Labor - $187.50

I was shocked!!!

I also found out that the pinion seal is leaking and I need new front tires and an alignment.

That is just f***ing fantastic. I was just reinstalling my compressor when the damn housing cracked just above the lower forward bolt. ARRRRGH! I hope I can find a replacement cheaper than that.
Old 06-07-2007, 04:33 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bsf
That is just f***ing fantastic. I was just reinstalling my compressor when the damn housing cracked just above the lower forward bolt. ARRRRGH! I hope I can find a replacement cheaper than that.
Yeah, I saw that number and about had a heart attack. I just got rid of a Cadillac and got this Camaro because of expensive maintenance!!!!
Old 06-07-2007, 04:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just curious...what did you bring it in for?

But yeah, it seems to be a common thing on 98s. My car is a 98, and my friend just bought a 98 as well. When we put her car on my buddies lift, we saw the AC compressor was leaking...and I was thinking, I wonder how mine's doing? Well, we put mine on the lift to put 4.10s in it, and sure enough, mine was leaking too.

I really don't care, I'll just let it be. Despite living in Florida, I never use my AC since I usually use my truck during the day and my car at night. I bought the car new in 98, and because I hardly ever use the AC, the seals probably dried up and now it's leaking. Oh well...no biggie to me!

Manny
Old 06-07-2007, 05:03 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MannyZ28
Just curious...what did you bring it in for?

But yeah, it seems to be a common thing on 98s. My car is a 98, and my friend just bought a 98 as well. When we put her car on my buddies lift, we saw the AC compressor was leaking...and I was thinking, I wonder how mine's doing? Well, we put mine on the lift to put 4.10s in it, and sure enough, mine was leaking too.

I really don't care, I'll just let it be. Despite living in Florida, I never use my AC since I usually use my truck during the day and my car at night. I bought the car new in 98, and because I hardly ever use the AC, the seals probably dried up and now it's leaking. Oh well...no biggie to me!

Manny

I took it in because it was blowing no where near cold enough, and I had been through 2 recharges in a month. So, I knew it was leaking somewhere. This car is a '98 with only 45,000 miles on it, so I guess the seals dried up too. They guy I got it from is on this site and it was actually blowing hot when I got it from him. He did keep it garaged a lot too.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can usually find a later model compressor 99-02 for about $100-150 used with okay mileage (50k).

I got a complete kit minus the pulley and brackets for $150 on here. The compressor is the most expensive part. When I was looking on gmpartsdirect.com a new compressor was about $350 plus shipping. I'd stay away from rebuilt or remanufactured units as they tend to go very easily.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:14 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 98redM6
You can usually find a later model compressor 99-02 for about $100-150 used with okay mileage (50k).

I got a complete kit minus the pulley and brackets for $150 on here. The compressor is the most expensive part. When I was looking on gmpartsdirect.com a new compressor was about $350 plus shipping. I'd stay away from rebuilt or remanufactured units as they tend to go very easily.

Thanks for that info. I don't even want to consider a reman. unit. I've witnessed them firsthand. Broke within the first 30 seconds of use.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:39 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Two things:

1) The reason why '98 Compressors tend to go out more often than the other years is because there seems to be an issue with the command to release the compressor clutch when going WOT, or so I've read. It does not release soon enough, unlike the newer years, subjecting the compressor to excessive rpms.

2) The compressor on my '98 leaks a bit of oil as well. It has for the last 3 years that I've owned it, but guess what? The AC still blows ice cold. I have no intention of fixing the compressor until the AC doesn't work.

PS. My '98 has only 14,000 miles, so it does sit A LOT.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:32 PM
bsf
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I bought a new compressor off eBay tonight; $283 shipped. I have not figured out what I am going to do about evacuating the system. I am going to check into buying a pump. This sucks. Was replacing my compressor after having done poly motor mounts earlier in the week. Cannot believe the housing cracked. Couple more “oops” like this and I will be reconsidering my decision to do the H/C/I, mounts, bla bla myself as opposed to paying someone to do it.

speedy_2,

sent you a PM
Old 06-08-2007, 01:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

funny you mention the compressor, when I had my car tuned we looked into why the a/c doesn't disengage.

Apparantly the throttle value for disable and reenable of the TPS is ... get this...

100%

as I recall, the TPS will never hit 100%. Hence the only failsafe is... get this...
4100rpm...

So on a 98 you can subject the compressor to just about the peak torque your engine can produce before it lets go.

We changed it to 60% throttle for mine to let go and it's been happy ever since.
Old 06-10-2007, 07:51 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the info guys. Another question. What books should I get for any repair I may do. Chilton??? Haynes?? Something else??
Old 06-11-2007, 11:47 AM
On The Tree

Look for the specific year Service Manual for your Camaro. It will be the most detailed and helpful source of the info for your future repairs. It is not cheap (if you buy it in a paper format - about $80-90). There are service DVDs for sale (try here or eBay) for $25-30.

Let us know how much time it took you to replace your compressor. Try harborfreight.com for cheap tools to evacuate/recharge your a/c system. It is not hard. R134A is cheap. Maybe someone here can chime in if ac a/c dryer needs to be replaced as well.

Regards!
Old 06-11-2007, 02:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by speedy_2

A/C Compressor - $600
A/C Dryer - $196.99
Labor - $187.50

I was shocked!!!

I didn't read the entire thread, but: Take it to the dealer for this. My compressor took a **** after my 1998 F-Body was 6 years old. It cost $900 for EVERYTHING, out the door. With a 100% FULL lifetime warranty on parts and labor if it failed again, you can't beat it. Noone else will ever give you a warranty anywhere close to that.

Also, the tech that did the work said in our cars we do not need to replace the dryer, evaporator and a couple other things that you usually have to do with most other types of cars. Its been blowing ice cold for 2+ years now.

Old 06-11-2007, 02:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

where were you going to get that 600$ unit from? most NEW units ive seen were 900 and the remans were 600....

a chiltons manual will be fine, its not that hard to install....i got quoted at 1100 also...sooooo i just to the belt off and soon to take off the compressor itself
Old 06-11-2007, 03:03 PM
On The Tree

Here is a screenshot what Kragen's web site has as far as a/c compressors go. I don't see any $600 units.
Attached Thumbnails AC Compessor in '98 Camaro-kragensac.jpg  
Old 06-11-2007, 03:15 PM
TECH Regular

don't worry about the pinion seal...they all leak.. unless it is really bad.

Where is the compressor leaking from? The front seal or one of the lines going into the back??

The O-rings in the back can be replaced.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Something is fishy here. I got a real AC Delco compressor for about 400 NEW IN BOX! I would never get another brand. The AC Delco is the only one that will last in this occassion.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
Something is fishy here. I got a real AC Delco compressor for about 400 NEW IN BOX! I would never get another brand. The AC Delco is the only one that will last in this occassion.
And why mess with it yourself when the if the dealer installs it, you get a lifetime PARTS and LABOR warranty. Seems like a no brainer to me.

Old 06-12-2007, 11:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Quickin
And why mess with it yourself when the if the dealer installs it, you get a lifetime PARTS and LABOR warranty. Seems like a no brainer to me.

Exactly!! Why get a knock off from some crap asian company or some """reman""" that they probably didn't even change the seals in?? By the time you get that installed its the same price as the AC Delco and you know its gonna break in 2 years again if you don't get the right parts.

[Personally, I do all my own work and the motor was out of the car so I did it myself.]

Quick Reply: AC Compessor in '98 Camaro