General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Damaging Engine by Not Driving??

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 11:41 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Damaging Engine by Not Driving??

My 2002 Z28 is not driven very often and I am worried about engine damage. The engine may not be started for weeks or maybe a month or two during the winter. Is this as big of a problem as I'm assuming it is?

Is there any type of oil priming system that can be installed to prevent dry starts?
Old 06-12-2007, 11:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

See the Sticky, "Things to do before storing your vehicle." Good place to start.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Blue's_Z28
See the Sticky, "Things to do before storing your vehicle." Good place to start.
Thank you, I did take a look at that.
My case is a little different because it's never actually stored - just not driven often. I want to know if this causes a real problem.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I stored mine, I had someone start it up every 2-3 weeks for a minute or so, never had any issues.
Old 06-12-2007, 03:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you can I would just go out and start it a few times a month.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

No problem, quit worrying.

Two months parked = stored. So you should fill the tank, use fuel stabilizer, pump up the tire pressure and change the oil. IMHO
Old 06-13-2007, 07:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would crank it once every 3 weeks. I don't DD mine, but drive it 1-2 times a month and its fine.
Old 06-13-2007, 07:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you start it for a few moments every week or two you are damaging your exhaust and engine more than you would damage your engine by not starting it.

Starting your engine for a few minutes creates moisture...condensation...inside the engine and exhaust. This moisture is acidic in the exhaust and helps creat acid conditions inside the engine. Without bringing the engine, and exhaust, up to a high enough temp for long enough to drive out all the moisture you are not being kind to your car.

Contrast that with the idea of bringing your car to life to drive for a while after it setting for a time. Even after weeks or a couple of months there is still enough oil on the parts to control friction well enough for the few seconds it will take for your oil pressure to build.

I vote leave it alone. It isn't that big a deal. Just be sure your oil is newer rather than older for that time of the year.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:06 AM
TECH Regular

I drive mine usually on the weekend (sometimes up to 2 weeks sitting), but I always take it out and drive for at least 45 minutes, with some spirited freeway driving to charge the battery.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Also starting the car and letting it run for a few minutes over and over again also causes fuel build up in your oil because your oil never gets hot enough to burn it off. My car is the same way, I may drive it once every other week or so (bout 5k a year) and no issues here. So I second it, "just leave it be until your ready to drive it" it will be fine.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MrEddie
with some spirited freeway driving

For some reason that is god damn funny! I think that's the first time I've heard the word spirited used in a sentence in quite awhile.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:16 PM
Launching!

I would just leave it set.

I would also change the oil once a year with a quality syn. oil than more often with reg. for a low milage car.
Old 06-14-2007, 05:11 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,277 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Mine sits more than just about anyone. Sits all winter (Nov to Apr) and only gets driven once every 2-3 weeks or so in the spring/summer/fall.

If I do start the car during storage, I always let it run for about an hour or so to let the engine and fluids get up to temp. And I don't start it when the garage is super cold either (I use a heater to bring it up to 40 degrees or more first). Also, I don't just let it idle, after a little while of running I'll bring the rpms up to 2k-2500 for a little bit.

I've never had any engine issues at all. Motor sees only synthetic oil that is changed twice a year.
Old 06-16-2007, 10:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never start mine unless I'm gonna drive it.
Old 06-16-2007, 11:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Incredible
If you start it for a few moments every week or two you are damaging your exhaust and engine more than you would damage your engine by not starting it.

Starting your engine for a few minutes creates moisture...condensation...inside the engine and exhaust. This moisture is acidic in the exhaust and helps creat acid conditions inside the engine. Without bringing the engine, and exhaust, up to a high enough temp for long enough to drive out all the moisture you are not being kind to your car.

Contrast that with the idea of bringing your car to life to drive for a while after it setting for a time. Even after weeks or a couple of months there is still enough oil on the parts to control friction well enough for the few seconds it will take for your oil pressure to build.

I vote leave it alone. It isn't that big a deal. Just be sure your oil is newer rather than older for that time of the year.

Smart man. Good post. +1
Old 06-17-2007, 11:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i have two cars in storage.. i start them up about once a month or so.. and run them until the fan turns on, and with the other car, the valve covers feel hot to the touch.

i had an engine sit for 10 years without being run, and i started it up no problem.. although the oil in the valve covers/breather was milk white from water getting into the engine. once i got it running, i changed the oil, and its been fine ever since
Old 06-18-2007, 02:57 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I can't get over how seldom some of you drive your cars. I don't like racking up miles either, but driving these things is just too much damn fun...
Old 06-20-2007, 01:10 PM
On The Tree

i think you would do more harm by letting it idle excessively... i would rather see you spay a small shot of fogging oil in it, stabilizing the fuel and wrap her up nice until your ready to run it proper