Sponsored by:

change of plans? opinions please,

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 09:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default change of plans? opinions please,

i have bin building my a motor this summer,

it an 99 block, with stock cranks/rod/pistons, but all bearings from clevite, clevite rings, cam bearings from durabond, all bolts from katech, patriot 226/226 cam, ported ls6 oil pump, ls2 time gear,

my friend is building a motor in a jeep for his friend, its the same as mine, but overbored 0.30, and malhe forged piston's,

he is running out of time with this motor, and offered my if he could use my block i would get the other one, with the mahle pistons, and i move my cam/oil pump/timegear over,

and the thing is.. i am not sure at all what i want to do, i just finished putting my motor to geather and was goin to install it in the car and finaly drive the damn thing, but i would realy like to have a good pistons in it, they got valve seats in them so i could go with a huge cam like it wanted to, but this would meen that i will probably not drive the car this summer at all,

what are your opinions? are the mahle pistons and 0.30 overbore worth it? does the over bore hafe any affect on the hp's?

im kinda confused,
Old 06-13-2007, 11:45 AM
On The Tree

I wonder if the guy that owns the jeep knows that his buddy is trying to trade off his engine? If not then that guy is not a very good person. especially if he leads that guy to believe that his engine still has mahle pistons and bored .030. If that guy is running out of time on the engine then he needs to call the owner and be honset with him, because the guy that owns the engine trusted him to build it, but not trade it off i'm sure. It looks like to me you have a pretty nice setup in your sig. If it were me i would take my engine put it in my car, and have fun with it. Tell that one guy to quit trying to trade off people stuff. I sorry but i would have to pass on that deal just my .2 cents.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

i know you mean well but that had nothing to do with my question, this is a good friend of mine and he is rebulding a stock engine for the jeep guy, he just bougth the mahle pistons instead od the oem's, so nobody is fooling the jeep guy,

my friend just was in an accident and havn't bin able to finish the other motor on time, thats why he offered me this, i want those pistons i know that, but my question is, are the worth ribbing my brand new motor apart and hafe to build another shortblock all over agen, are they worth it?
Old 06-13-2007, 02:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kind of block is in the jeep??
Old 06-13-2007, 02:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

this is a nissan patrol that they are swappin an ls1 in to,
Old 06-13-2007, 07:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

TTT opninions are thankfully acepted
Old 06-14-2007, 10:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

help!!
Old 06-14-2007, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

still looking for answers, all opinions on tis are thankfully accepted, are those pistons worth all the work.. and time
Old 06-14-2007, 10:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

I dunno if you want to drive your car no. If you are dying to run a bigger cam yeah, but you still have a few other associated costs with running a big nasty cam like that. Especially if you run into tuning problems, then maybe have to upgrade rear or clutch, as far as .30 over, I didn't know you could bring an LS1 .30 over! According to my GM manuals you can only hone the sleeves in these blocks. I think it is ten thousands that you can go! Ask more questions man, I know he is your buddy but find out where he got some of his work/info from. And trust me I'm NO expert on LS1s I just know the few things I've discussed with other Fbod guys and have limited experience, so do some more research
Old 06-15-2007, 05:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

the guy i trust, realy good engine builder, has bin racing camaros since before i was born,