Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New gauge pod and gauges

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 10:29 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New gauge pod and gauges

I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the appearance section, but figured it was more about function that looks. Here's my question:

I'm going to add a triple gauge pillar and I want some suggestions as to which gauges to include. I know for sure that I want air/fuel ratio, which leaves me with two spaces for more. You can see from my sig that I don't have nitrous or forced induction and don't plan to add them in the future, so I have no need to those types of gauges. What are the most beneficial gauges for a naturally aspirated bolt on car that goes over 400 rwhp. My choices are these:

Fuel pressure
Oil pressure
Oil temperature
Transmission temperature
Water temperature

Also, I'm trying to decide between electronic or mechanical gauges. Which are the easiest to install, and would have the least amount of problems once installed?

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.
Old 06-15-2007, 05:05 PM
Teching In

A/F ratio & Fuel Pressure are usually the 2 you see on every setup.

The third one is personal choice.

a lot of people put a water temp due to the fact that the 99-02 water temp gauges on the cluster just sit at 210

1 guy I know put a vacuum gauge because the cluster already had voltage, water temp, oil pressure.

another I know put trans temp because his transmission was heavily rebuilt and he liked to keep an eye on it.

Personally mine is a vacuum/boost due to the boost

I've installed both mechanical and electrical in a handful of cars and to be honest , neither is really "easier" or "harder". And as long as you take your time and install them right , you shouldn't have a problem with whichever you choose.
Old 06-16-2007, 01:12 AM
TECH Resident

I agree w/ Albosky. A wideband would definitely be a good one. The narrowbands dont really do anything but put on a light show. A fuel pressure would prob be another good choice. If you go w/ an Aeroforce scan gauge you can get the water temp, trans temp, fuel pressure (if you buy the sensor) and a bunch of other things all in one. Ive had one for a few months and its a really nice piece. Id use the final slot to hold something specific to your application. I have a Nitrous pressure gauge in the last slot.
For your app I would prob do a fuel pressure, coolant temp, and maybe an oil pressure gauge for the three.
Old 06-16-2007, 08:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Electrical gauges are much easier to install. I have A/F, Fuel Pressure and Vacuum gauges. A vacuum gauge is a good monitor for the health of an engine. Also, still have room for the shift light at the bottom and the reset and status light for the LC1 up top.

Old 06-16-2007, 12:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HavATampa
Electrical gauges are much easier to install. I have A/F, Fuel Pressure and Vacuum gauges. A vacuum gauge is a good monitor for the health of an engine. Also, still have room for the shift light at the bottom and the reset and status light for the LC1 up top.

You Need To Check Your Gages, haha
Old 06-16-2007, 12:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have dual gauge pod on my car and the gauges i have are water temp and oil pressure.
Old 06-16-2007, 03:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i would do the wideband, fuel pressure, and trans temp all good things to know
Old 06-16-2007, 03:47 PM
TECH Addict

A trans temp gauge on his M6 probably ain't worth the $$.

Originally Posted by Sweet71
i would do the wideband, fuel pressure, and trans temp all good things to know
Old 06-18-2007, 12:34 PM
Launching!

Thanks guys. So, I'm hearing wideband for the A/F, definitely Fuel Pressure, and vacuum or water temp as the third. Any advantage to oil pressure or temp?
Old 06-18-2007, 12:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

N/A setup running dual gauge pod using oil temp and water temp. I belive thoes are the two most important. A tripple pod just looks too bussy for me. I just belive an A/F gauge is usless unless your tuning. Other than that its not that important because you cant react fast enough if it goes lean.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:40 PM
Launching!

Also, one reply says that mechanical and electronic and about equal as to installation. And, one reply says that electronic are easier. Can I please have some more opinions. And, with either, is this a somewhat easy task, or am I better to pay to have it done?

Thanks again for the help.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HavATampa
A trans temp gauge on his M6 probably ain't worth the $$.
Haha ya good call, i thought it said in his sig that he had an a4 but i was lookin at drop top birds sig. Threw me off cause they had the same pic. My Bad.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Put them in the center air vents. It looks real clean. I would go with water and oil myself.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Electrical are easier, but mechanical are more accurate. With the electrical you only have to run a wire or two in the car. With the mechanical you have to run a hose in the car most times (somtimes there will be a restrictor).
Old 06-19-2007, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

interceptor scan guage is what I would get. also unless you get a wide band a/r, it is just a light show.

Quick Reply: New gauge pod and gauges