Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

What Audio Brand Sounds Best???

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 04:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What Audio Brand Sounds Best???

So i have a 2002 Camaro Z28 and im looking to put a system in it sometime soon. Im savin up for rim's, but i can afford to buy the speaker's and the sub right now.

Im going to get the 10" sub box from SubThump, and the Amp rack as well. I was thinking of going with a 10" Kicker Comp V sub and maybe a Kicker Amp as well.

I dont know which brand to go with for the front door and rear seat side panel speaker's. I was thinkin maybe Sony Xplod's or maybe get Kicker speaker's and keep the entire system with just 1 brand.

Does anyone have any suggestion's on what brand to go with, what speaker's, or what Amp is very good???
Old 06-17-2007, 05:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

There is no "best" brand.

You need to let us know what you're willing to spend before we can give recommendations.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sony speakers are HORRIBLE, and Kicker speakers (not subs) aren't great either. You're using the term "best" but those brands are FAR from it.

More info would be required, but in the meantime I would say Rainbow would be a good option.
Old 06-17-2007, 09:32 PM
TECH Addict

Well like i said, i can afford the speaker's right now. Ive already looked at some over on Crutchfield and SoundDomain and the price's are well within my range.

Im just trying to figure out what speaker brand's do most people seem to agree on that do sound great.
Old 06-17-2007, 10:39 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by dragonrage
Sony speakers are HORRIBLE, and Kicker speakers (not subs) aren't great either. You're using the term "best" but those brands are FAR from it.

More info would be required, but in the meantime I would say Rainbow would be a good option.

depends on what kickers you comparing too. I don't like many entry level speakers myself. Hell, I can think of half a dozen brands I wouldn't waste my money on. but middle of the line to their cream of the crap. They all sound descent depending on tuning.

I've never seen one brand to say their the best. Not one yet.
Old 06-17-2007, 11:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Bose!!!!!!!!
Old 06-18-2007, 12:36 AM
On The Tree

from my experiences, I like jl subs the best and some of the alpine components and infinity components sounds nice
Old 06-18-2007, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

in my truck i ran all pioneer side speakers (they sounded awesome) then a punch 1200 amp for them, and then a pheonix gold amp with 4 12's (pioneers). system hit really hard but obviously you cant put 4 ion your car but pioneer sound good i think
Old 06-18-2007, 02:36 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by whytryz28
Bose!!!!!!!!
LOL!!! No highs. No lows. Must be Bose!
Old 06-18-2007, 03:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

-1 Sony. They sound like they're gargling water.

+1 Alpine
Old 06-18-2007, 07:56 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A "best" brand is all a matter of opinion. As Bat stated there really is no best brand. I've often said that the company with the biggest marketing budget is often considered the "best" brand just because people have heard of it and see there commercials/ads. This often is hardly true for the quality of the components themselves as most of the budget went toward the as campaign, not the product quality itself. Bose is a prime example of this. There are many quality brands on the market. The first thing you need is a budget. Then you need to consider what kind of music you listen to the most. What sounds good to you?? Sound quality? Heavy bass? Competitions? Etc. Crutchfield is one of the most expensive places to buy car audio. In general, unless they have a deal, they are about 10-20% higher than ebay or some other online stores. Do yourself a HUGE favor by going in and listening to as many speakers as you can at audio stores or friends vehicles. Again, most of what sounds good is opinion so the best thing you can do is listen to as many speakers as you can so you can make your OWN opinion. Write down model numbers and shop around. What is the "best" brand...the one that sounds the best to YOU that you got the best deal on. Ultimately you are the who has to sit in the car listening to it!!
Old 06-18-2007, 08:31 PM
Teching In

As many have indicated, "best" is hard to quantify. You have a number of objective criteria you can go by (power, efficiency, freq response, driver extension etc), but while each these specs will tell you "something" about how a speaker performs, specs don't tell the whole picture (think magazine racing, which may or may not translate into real world performance). If objective criteria are important to you, try to avoid stuff with poor specs (more specifically, poor for your given application), inflated/misleading specs (worse), or worst of all, NO published specs (Bose).

Subjectively speaking, the "best" is whatever YOUR ear tells you is the best. Set your price point, go audition a few speakers, and buy the ones you like most. Don't worry about "what speaker brand's most people seem to agree on that do sound great." It's not a popularity contest, and different gear serves different needs. Most self-identifying audiophiles will tell you that the best equipment in the world is the most transparent and neutral equipment. Hence the "best" speakers are the ones that disappear to the listener (leaving only the soundstage), and the best amps are those that step out of the way of the source material, amplifying the signal w/o coloring it.

But here's the rub. Not everyone cares about reproducing the original recording/performance as accurately as possible. Some folks just want the bass to bump. Others want the highs to stand out. As a previous poster noted, most audio enthusiasts find the artificial enhancement of specific mid-range frequencies to be an unusual (or even laughable) design flaw. Yet millions of listeners seem to find these flaws pleasing to the ear, to the extent that they would spend $1200 on a PC quality thud box and some plastic satellite speakers (acoustimass, anyone?). And don't forget, you're in a car, not a listening room. It would take an enormous effort to produce even a low-end home audio caliber set-up in a vehicle. So your best bet is to start by deciding what type of sound you're looking for, and then ask users about for specific recommendations (e.g., the most accurate subs often disappoint the guys who are looking for that chest-pounding thump, and vice versa).

Cheers
Old 06-18-2007, 10:02 PM
TECH Resident

Focal 165 K2P is my vote to you if you have thy cash clearest speakers i've ever owned but i have also had 450$ set of infinity's sound really good 4- 6.5''s 2-4''ers
Old 06-18-2007, 10:24 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by you2slo
LOL!!! No highs. No lows. Must be Bose!
Don't knock em. I still have my '98 Seville STS. It has the Bose system in it.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...e/1279566.html

Best stereo I've had/heard hands down. Sound quality is beyond anything I've heard in a car. Zero Distortion. Perfect reproduction of sound. Perfect Clarity. I kept that system stock because there was nothing that sounded better. Only car I'd never change the stereo in.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:46 AM
Launching!

matter of opinion. when I was growing up, bass was my main priority and for the money kicker comp's were the best. Then JL came around with some some great subs (ws6) and now ws7's but I couldn't afford them. Now, bass is good, but clearity is what I appreiciate. I started stock piling Alpine V12 amps b/c that was some of the cleanest power at the time. Alpine's quality is among the best, but there is to many choices to say what the best is.IMO, MB Quart(Q Series), Boston Acoustics(PRO) and Infinity kappa perfect's to me always had the best mid's + high's.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:41 AM
12 Second Club

Can this plezz not turn into a ''ride apine's nuts'' thread
Old 06-19-2007, 06:58 AM
TECH Resident

That's a nice sig!
Old 06-19-2007, 01:00 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by wickedwarlock