Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More Ford infidelity-

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 03:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More Ford infidelity-

I will be documenting yet another poor mustang recieving a Gen 3 GM powerplant. Before the flamers come out, the car went 10's with a 306" FORD motor last season, I just don't have the budget to make 1000HP with a Ford motor this year.

That being said, here goes:

Just picked up a Flood recovery 2002 LQ4 6.0 and 4l80E. The entire piece has been submerged, so I will be tearing it down to survey the damage.

The heads, periferals and 4L80E, harness, etc... will be sold off to pay for other parts.

The car is a 92 Ford mustang- Motor will be re-built w/ forged pistons and rods, will recieve a set of ported stock castings, (unsure of which ones yet) a 76mm single turbo, TH350 tranny, and BS3 fuel management. The goal is 9 flat at 150mph- aprox 900hp.

Anyone use a truck pan in a Foxbody before? It looks like a good fit, the car has a tubular k-member. I will be posting photos of the teardown tomorrow. Any and all advice is appreciated, I'm a semi-noob to Gen 3 GM stuff.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:24 PM
TECH Resident

The heads that are on the LQ4 are probably what you want to port or buy ported, if you're sticking with stock heads. They're basically the LS6 head with bigger chambers (by 8 or 10 cc).

But I'm not a racer or an engine builder, so my opinion may not be worth much.

'JustDreamin'
Old 06-25-2007, 05:41 PM
On The Tree

The Fbody pan fits well with the 4.6 K member and 4.6 motor mounts (modified). Hope that helps. Another vote for those heads...
Old 06-25-2007, 07:07 PM
7 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ILLINTENT
I will be documenting yet another poor mustang recieving a Gen 3 GM powerplant. Before the flamers come out, the car went 10's with a 306" FORD motor last season, I just don't have the budget to make 1000HP with a Ford motor this year.

That being said, here goes:

Just picked up a Flood recovery 2002 LQ4 6.0 and 4l80E. The entire piece has been submerged, so I will be tearing it down to survey the damage.

The heads, periferals and 4L80E, harness, etc... will be sold off to pay for other parts.

The car is a 92 Ford mustang- Motor will be re-built w/ forged pistons and rods, will recieve a set of ported stock castings, (unsure of which ones yet) a 76mm single turbo, TH350 tranny, and BS3 fuel management. The goal is 9 flat at 150mph- aprox 900hp.

Anyone use a truck pan in a Foxbody before? It looks like a good fit, the car has a tubular k-member. I will be posting photos of the teardown tomorrow. Any and all advice is appreciated, I'm a semi-noob to Gen 3 GM stuff.
You can probably save some money and just use a factory computer and HPtuners/3 bar OS. Lookin forward to some mockup pics.
Phil
Old 06-25-2007, 07:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mulletnotch
The Fbody pan fits well with the 4.6 K member and 4.6 motor mounts (modified). Hope that helps. Another vote for those heads...
the modified 4.6 mounts wont work on a iron block...
Old 06-26-2007, 01:44 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by vanilla89
the modified 4.6 mounts wont work on a iron block...
Oops! Forgot bout that..... Also for management like someone else pointed out, why not use a factory ECM and either make a harness or go to speartech for a custom harness for your motor/car combo? I will more than likely be ordering mine thru Speartech since it seems he can take all the guesswork out of wiring. Any other companies that are known or tried and true for custom harnesses?

Dave
Old 06-26-2007, 02:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just curious what all will you be taking out of the car?....weight wise
Old 06-26-2007, 08:41 AM
8 Second Club

i think the truck pan sticks too far down. f body one works just fine.
as for the 4.6 mounts , they can work if you use a plate between it and the block.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

LS2 vette or Fcar Pan. the truck pan will sit 4-5 inches below the k-frame. It will fit with a small notch on the passenger side of the K frame using the f-car pan if you push the engine back as far as you can in the engine bay.If the heads are touching the firewall pull it about 1/4 inch forward and dimple the firewall to clear the intake manifold is your running a plastic intake like the ls1 ls2 ls6 l76.Other then that is a peice of ckae.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:20 AM
Staging Lane

Well, thanks everyone for your input. I will be using the BS3 as it will be a racecar, and I like the user friendliness of it. + I would have to build my own harness out of the one that I have, buy a factory ECM, (I'm assuming that this one has been under water) buy a low impedance injector driver, O2 sensor, a copy of HPT or EFIlive etc... by the time it's all said and done, I don't believe the difference in cost would be that much really.

I will be fabricating my own motor mounts, they will be a plate on the block to a 2" piece of steel tubing to a plate on the k-member, pretty simple really.
I would like to get the motor as low in the chassis as possible, but I definitely dont want the pan hanging way below the k-member, unless I were to build a skid-plate for it, which means MORE WEIGHT.

The car weighed 3,000 with the 5.0 motor and a TKO 600- an additional 100 lbs will be removed from the car in the form of lightweight seats, dash internals, heater box, light weight battery, etc...

Last edited by ILLINTENT; 06-26-2007 at 09:35 AM.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:34 AM
Staging Lane

Oh almost forgot, day 1 progress-

Tear down of motor didn't go so hot. Cylinders full of mud (literaly) Motor completely siezed up. Sizable amounts of rust on the cylinder walls, hopefully it will clean up with a bore, this means I'll be buying a set of pistons, which means I'll also be buying a set of Rods- may as well buy some that will support the target 900-1000hp (Suggestions welcome)

Pulled the heads off, they look OK, some mild corosion of the combustion chambers, and of course the valves and seats are junk, but they will be replaced with bigger ones anyway. Stock Rocker arms look clean and good, as do the pushrods.

Attempted to seperate the transmission, bellhousing cracked when I barely snugged up one of the bellhousing bolts, Scrap one 4L80!!!!

... surprisingly thin case for such a strong transmission. If anyone needs anything out of a 4L80E, I'll be pulling the guts out of this one, it actually looks pretty good inside.

The torque converter bolts are so coroded, I had to break the rest of the bellhousing up and cut the torque converter tabs off.

This $700 complete motor and trans has now basically been reduced to core block and crank and heads, that is hopefully still usable. I will be pulling off the oil pan tonight, lots of pictures to come....
Old 06-26-2007, 04:15 PM
Staging Lane

Ironically, I guess if this motor isn't salvagable, I could just pull the motor out of the tow rig and use it in the racecar-

check out the gnarly-ness... I hope a .030 over bore will clean it up....
[IMG]http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w153/skimpytau/CIMG0242.jpg
[/IMG]

Literally looks like it was used as a boat anchor. Check out this throttle body they recovered from the Titanic

I just went home on my lunch break and had to cut the converter off of the flexplate as the input shaft and torque converter bolts were rusted solid. I'll have more pics of the carnage in a minute.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

contact texas speed and performance, i seen they had a set of diamond pistons and manley rods for sale for 650 bucks!!!! wish i had the extra money i would buy them...they are for your motor, should end up with a 8.75 comp.....

as for heads, i dont think anyone would argue that the l92 heads are the best bang for the buck for this motor......flow more than afr 225 and cost 800 bucks.

oh and DAMN......HOW LONG WAS THAT THING UNDER WATER??? looks like since it was new!!!! good luck....i dont know how handy you are with a welder, but i have seen some people cut the bottom of the truck pan off to make it shorter and weld it back up............
Old 06-27-2007, 08:42 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the suggestion, the l92 heads arn't legal for my class, unfortunately. I have to have a 220cc or smaller runner.

Day two progress- has to CUT THE TRANNY OFF WITH A TORCH and finnaly got the rear seal plate off, and got the engine on the stand. There is some rust on the crank on the surface where the rear main seal rides, hopefully it will polish out, otherwise the crank is junk.

Looks like I need to source an F-body pan and an LS1 intake for mockup purposes.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

keep the 317 stock heads, another member on here has gone low 8's
with 317 heads.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

is that a 2wd truck 4l80e ? if so how much ?
Old 06-27-2007, 12:56 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS1curious
is that a 2wd truck 4l80e ? if so how much ?
Yes it is. $50 pick up only. The case is broke.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:08 AM
TECH Resident

a truck pan will clear fine unless the car is slammed to the ground i bet i have 8" of clearance under mine and thats with an iron block 5.3 and 4 cyl springs manifolds and turbo kit up front so its not light in the nose
Old 06-28-2007, 11:05 AM
Staging Lane

Really, that would be awsome if I could get away with the truck pan, considering I got totally screwed on this $700 junkyard motor. Check out the pics of the pistons rusted solid to the cylinders- My personal favorite was having to cut the torque converter off with a torch.

Here's what came out of the pan, kind of smelled like rotten sea-food
Old 06-28-2007, 11:29 AM
Staging Lane

Hopefully, the bores will clean up, and I will still be able to use the crank, block, front & rear covers, Oil pan, windage tray, water pump, and hardware. Not very many usable parts for $700, but live and learn I guess.

I'm sure it's been covered a jillion times, but what are the two sensors that thread into the lifter valley, my manual doesn't mention anything about them.

Also, I notice there is a fair amount of play in the rocker arms' fulcrum bearings, is this normal????

As it stands right now, it looks like a set of Texas Speed ported 5.3 heads, Compstar crank and 6.125 rods will be used. Pistons will be either JE, Ross or Mahle, depending on what's available off the shelf...

Can anyone point out something wrong with this combo or sugest something better?

Quick Reply: More Ford infidelity-