General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Rattle sound on acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 08:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rattle sound on acceleration

I haven't driven the car much over the past 4 months but prior to January it was my daily driver. Since I've parked it I've done a little work on it that needed to be done.

Changed spark plugs
installed a new custom Y pipe and a B&B catback

and a few other odds and ends.

Last week I drove the car a few times and I can hear a rattle coming from the car. From what I can tell it seems to be located on passangerside toward the front of the car. I guess either the rear of the engine compartment or under the front passanger floor board. I thought it might be the Y pipe at first but the bolts on the flange are tight and looking over the exhaust I don't see any place that it's rubbing. I don't think this rattle was here a month ago but who knows now that the exhaust is quieter it might have been. All the work I've done has been with in the last month and the rattle is pretty loud. I can't seem to get the rattle to occur all the time it will only do it at times and sometimes when I slow down with the car in gear.

I just need some suggestions on items I could check.

Car has all the mods in the sig along with subframe connectors.
Old 06-30-2007, 08:20 PM
TECH Regular

I had a rattle under my driver floor board... it did the same thing only sometimes... at a low rpm... and if i would go close to a building or drive threw u can really hear it.... which helps whith a loud exhaust.... so i took it to the dealership and they said that sometihng was messed up with the 02 sensor causing it to rattle.... fixed that problem....
Old 06-30-2007, 08:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Must have been the little shield on the sensors came loose.

Another common source of rattles are the numerous heat shields around the exhaust.
Old 06-30-2007, 09:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

My SES light came on around the time that this rattle started but I replaced the 02 with an extra one I had from when I did my header install. The rattle is still there and it's loud enough that I can hear it with the windows up and the radio on. Someone else suggested a heat sheild too.
Old 06-30-2007, 10:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Is it a high pitched rattle or a dull rattle?
Old 06-30-2007, 10:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 01 Red WS6
My SES light came on around the time that this rattle started but I replaced the 02 with an extra one I had from when I did my header install. The rattle is still there and it's loud enough that I can hear it with the windows up and the radio on. Someone else suggested a heat sheild too.
What was the code?
Old 07-01-2007, 04:46 PM
TECH Regular

i think its time to start playing around with the exhuast... just try hitting it when its cool.... or if u have access to a lift put it in the air... hit it a few times if u dont hear it... start it up n try to figure out where the rattles coming from
Old 07-01-2007, 05:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 01 Red WS6
Probably the metal piece that connects the 02 wire to the 02 sensor itself. Mine rattles from time to time.
Old 07-01-2007, 05:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ws6nick
Is it a high pitched rattle or a dull rattle?
It's more of a high pitch, like something is making contact or loose.

Originally Posted by ShevrolayZ28
What was the code?
The code was P1153. I changed the O2 the other day.

Originally Posted by chevrolet02z28
i think its time to start playing around with the exhuast... just try hitting it when its cool.... or if u have access to a lift put it in the air... hit it a few times if u dont hear it... start it up n try to figure out where the rattles coming from
I wish I had access to a lift but I guess I'll put it up on ramps again and see if I can find it. The problem is it won't just do it with the car running at least I can't hear it I have to acclerate to hear it.

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Probably the metal piece that connects the 02 wire to the 02 sensor itself. Mine rattles from time to time.
Replaced the 02 the other day and I still have the sound. Seems a little loud to be something like that though
Old 07-01-2007, 05:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for all the replies, I hope I can figure something out soon
Old 07-01-2007, 06:34 PM
Launching!

im pretty confident its your cat man. my buddys trans am did the same thing. when he took off or revved it rattled. his SES light was on too.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

I don't have cats