Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

G-Body Engine Swap.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 07:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default G-Body Engine Swap.

I'd like to put an LS2/6SPD in an Elco I picked up but want to know what steps you took to clear any emissions and registration problems. California is really strict when it comes to this and I would like to make this swap go as smooth as possible.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

All I can say is, good luck. I don't have to worry about emissions laws here.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:51 PM
Teching In

All I can say is, good luck. I don't have to worry about emissions laws here.

Gee thanks, that helps.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:55 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think that in california you can swap in any engine as long as it comes from the same class of vehicle, is newer than the vehicle your putting it in, and you keep all the emissions equipment from the engine you are ok.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Call the DMV and find your nearest referee station. Go to them and get everything cleared and in writting!
Old 07-10-2007, 10:15 PM
Teching In

I thought I would have to use the matching emissions equipment for the motor I want. I also went to the DMV and they were F****** CLUELESS. Same with my nearest referee station. They were just as CLUELESS as the DMV.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Pick up a copy of "Smog Check Inspection Manual" It's at the BAR office. Runs about $10. It will answer all of your questions.

Boils down to a couple of things:

Also pick up a copy of Mike Knell's book called: Chevrolet TPI/TBI engine swapping .

Although it is for Gen 1 engines, there are sections on emissions in Ca that will be of great use for you.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:10 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by CRCRFT78
I thought I would have to use the matching emissions equipment for the motor I want. I also went to the DMV and they were F****** CLUELESS. Same with my nearest referee station. They were just as CLUELESS as the DMV.
Hey, if they are that clueless, just tell them that it came that way.

Seriously though, I agree with what G-Body said (from what I understand), although I can't give a qualified opinion since I'm not a CA resident.

Here's a free bump hoping a real expert can chime in.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I see your in the Bay area.. I am in Concord...

It can be done and has been done. As G-body stated, Class means Truck engine to truck body. Car engine to car body.. you can not use a LQ9 (truck) into a Car body. So the question would be, What does your Registration state it is ? car or truck.

You would be best to get a whole donner car/truck, that way you can get everything you need from the any fuel tank sensors, connector and last bit of wiring.

You can go from one referee station to another and get different view of the laws. You may not pass at one, but another will pass you (providing you have all of the documentation you are asked for). Some have said to just keep going around till you find one that will co-operate and work with you and then pass it.

I just talked to someone who had his Celica upgraded to a later model Turbo engine and it was done by some school in Livermore.

good luck

Last edited by bczee; 07-11-2007 at 02:26 PM.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:19 PM
Teching In

Pick up a copy of "Smog Check Inspection Manual"Also pick up a copy of Mike Knell's book called: Chevrolet TPI/TBI engine swapping
Thanks for that info, I'll pick both of those up.

Hey, if they are that clueless, just tell them that it came that way.
Haha, if they believed that that would be great.

I see your in the Bay area.. I am in Concord...
I'm in Concord also. I tried talking to you the last time you were at Baja Fresh on friday but you seemed a little pre occupied at the time. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:44 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bczee
It can be done and has been done. As G-body stated, Class means Truck engine to truck body. Car engine to car body.. you can not use a LQ9 (truck) into a Car body. So the question would be, What does your Registration state it is ? car or truck.
Right there is the million dollar question with an El Camino. Illinois has an interesting take on this.........the registration lists it as a pickup and it gets truck plates (unless you get one of the illinois specialty plates for which they do not have truck plates IE: environmental, violence prevention, sport fisherman etc) It will still say pickup on the registration but the plates don`t say truck on them so you can park overnight on city residental(sp?) streets and drive on lakeshore drive/the boulevards. anyway I digress.

Even though they class it as a truck for plates, registration etc for emissions they classify it as a car
Old 07-11-2007, 11:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

CRCRFT78, sorry. i get a bit distracted at time, I'll be there this Friday.. come over then and we can talk over your project then..

talk 2u then.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:24 PM
Teching In

I saw your car was there but I believe you were sitting in the restaurant. Maybe next friday I can catch up to you and we can discuss the swap. Names Joe by the way.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Joe, Yeah, was having dinner.. I also in Clayton Valley Wed Night.