Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Going Forced induction, should i change heads or pistons?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 12:06 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going Forced induction, should i change heads or pistons?

I plan on installing a maggie on my LS2. Already have it. Now my question is should i swap out the heads or the pistons (replace with dished pistons)?
The goal being more power (obviously), but i dont want to kill the engine reliability. Being as how changing either heads or pistons (or both) is gonna run 2g's or more, i am not looking for 50hp. I am lookin for upward of 100hp added.

I was looking at some of the cars on here, and one fellow had installed the following on his car (along with headers, electric fuel pump, etc), and picked up upwards of 150hp. He added Trick Flow 215cc Cylinder Heads (Box Stock), 238/242 115 LSA Camshaft, Jesel Shaft-Mount Rocker Arms, Greg Good Ported FAST 90MM Intake Manifold w/ Stock LS2 Throttle Body.

Now my question is if i added something like this to my motor and spent 2-3g's and was up to around 550hp (crank), and then added a blower and gained 50% that would place me around 800hp. Thats pretty damn respectable.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

swapping pistons doesnt add power unless you are doing high compression pistons...... when you swap in low compression pistons you loose some N/A power but you can run boost alot more friendly on pump gas, and are stronger then stock so you can run more power with out worrying.

and if your gonna open up the motor you might as well do ARP hardware and a better set of connecting rods. stock LSX crank is good to about 900hp from what i have read.

heads are going to help but if you want reliability not to suffer you should swap the pistons IMO. just depends on how you drive and how much you want to push the stock bottom end.

and this is like your 4th thread on the same subjet.... and you REALLY NEED TO

i dont even know if the maggie has the flow capabilites to run 800whp....

but also on a stock cube motor to get 500whp out of it n/a your going to need high compression a farley big n/a cam and a nice set of n/a specific heads..... a boost specific motor makes less then a built n/a specific motor because its meant to have forced induction...... you would run a different cam different heads..... sorry you jsut need to search and read man...

on top of that you dont just go putting 800whp through a stock drivetrain..... alot more involved..... need chassis/suspension work, need transmission work, etc.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:35 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 02Vortech
swapping pistons doesnt add power unless you are doing high compression pistons...... when you swap in low compression pistons you loose some N/A power but you can run boost alot more friendly on pump gas, and are stronger then stock so you can run more power with out worrying.

and if your gonna open up the motor you might as well do ARP hardware and a better set of connecting rods. stock LSX crank is good to about 900hp from what i have read.

heads are going to help but if you want reliability not to suffer you should swap the pistons IMO. just depends on how you drive and how much you want to push the stock bottom end.

and this is like your 4th thread on the same subjet.... and you REALLY NEED TO

i dont even know if the maggie has the flow capabilites to run 800whp....

but also on a stock cube motor to get 500whp out of it n/a your going to need high compression a farley big n/a cam and a nice set of n/a specific heads..... a boost specific motor makes less then a built n/a specific motor because its meant to have forced induction...... you would run a different cam different heads..... sorry you jsut need to search and read man...

on top of that you dont just go putting 800whp through a stock drivetrain..... alot more involved..... need chassis/suspension work, need transmission work, etc.
i have searched. I find the same questions over and over again, and could spend hours looking for my specific question and come up empty handed. Thats why people post questions, because its easier and faster to talk. With the "do a search" mentallity, all discussion should stop, because i am sure every question has been asked at one point or another. So lets stop with the underhanded "your question is beneith me" comment or "you need to search".

Secondly, i dont plan on just bumping up the HP and thats it. I have a new drive shaft, half axles, axle stubs, rear end, read end cover, etc. Can handle 1000hp.

So my point is, since FI adds power as a percentage of what the engine already put out... If i can change either heads, pistons, or a combo of the above and get the motor banging out close to 600, and then add FI, i would have a badd *** motor.

So for those who have done such things...without changing all sorts of internals in the motor, is there a head\blower-cam combo or dished piston\heads\blower-cam combo you would sugest to go with to go with the maggie?

Last edited by Johny GTO; 07-21-2007 at 12:53 AM.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:41 AM
Teching In

I have the N/A LS2 making just over 500rwhp (here is the dyno sheet https://ls1tech.com/forums/texas-members/727805-ls2-gto-heads-cam-dyno-results-500-rwhp.html) and let me be one of the first to tell you, there are alot more things involved in getting that power to the ground than just engine mods. To make this a reliable 500 I had to beef up the rear end, Beef up the Tranny, the driveshft, the IRS, the clutch, and use a staggered set up. Not to mention the most important part finding someone that can give it that speacial tune. But I also have more things to beef up like the block, lol. This is because I want to run a D1 Procharger with it. So there for the next thing I wil be working on is a low comp. 402 to which I can run a good amount of boost on. I could go on and on. But hopefully this has helped you understand how much it takes to make good power.

Last edited by 06 Blue Goat; 07-21-2007 at 01:51 AM.
Old 07-21-2007, 02:04 AM
9 Second Club

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Johny GTO
i have searched. I find the same questions over and over again, and could spend hours looking for my specific question and come up empty handed. Thats why people post questions, because its easier and faster to talk. With the "do a search" mentallity, all discussion should stop, because i am sure every question has been asked at one point or another. So lets stop with the underhanded "your question is beneith me" comment or "you need to search".

Secondly, i dont plan on just bumping up the HP and thats it. I have a new drive shaft, half axles, axle stubs, rear end, read end cover, etc. Can handle 1000hp.

So my point is, since FI adds power as a percentage of what the engine already put out... If i can change either heads, pistons, or a combo of the above and get the motor banging out close to 600, and then add FI, i would have a badd *** motor.

So for those who have done such things...without changing all sorts of internals in the motor, is there a head\blower-cam combo or dished piston\heads\blower-cam combo you would sugest to go with to go with the maggie?
First. Almost everything i have learned by searching and reading unless it was something new and relitivly (sp) untried. Don't give some lame excuse why you can't search.

And you better have a nasty rear ed if you saying you can hold a 1000hp..

Second. You have a ton of reading to do and obviously have no idea what you are talking about. It does NOT put out a "percentage" of what the motor already puts out (at least not how you are saying). there are far far too many variables to say that. Percentages are jsut a marketing ploy and usually reflect a car that is likely nothing like your own personal setup.

Also... i wouldn't expect insane power with that blower...

lastly... quit being lay-z and search... reading aint that hard...
Old 07-21-2007, 04:57 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out this Corvette where we added Callies Compstar connecting rods, Diamond pistons, Total Seal rings, ARP head studs and balanced the rotating assembly. We then added Patriot Stage Two LQ9 heads. Nothing real expensive in this build, and the car gets driven hard on a road course for several hours a week. On top of this we have an ATI ProCharger D-1SC at 16 psi.

http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=40 Bob
Old 07-21-2007, 07:42 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Johny GTO
I plan on installing a maggie on my LS2. Already have it. Now my question is should i swap out the heads or the pistons (replace with dished pistons)?
The goal being more power (obviously), but i dont want to kill the engine reliability. Being as how changing either heads or pistons (or both) is gonna run 2g's or more, i am not looking for 50hp. I am lookin for upward of 100hp added.

I was looking at some of the cars on here, and one fellow had installed the following on his car (along with headers, electric fuel pump, etc), and picked up upwards of 150hp. He added Trick Flow 215cc Cylinder Heads (Box Stock), 238/242 115 LSA Camshaft, Jesel Shaft-Mount Rocker Arms, Greg Good Ported FAST 90MM Intake Manifold w/ Stock LS2 Throttle Body.

Now my question is if i added something like this to my motor and spent 2-3g's and was up to around 550hp (crank), and then added a blower and gained 50% that would place me around 800hp. Thats pretty damn respectable.
your never gonna see 800hp from a maggie combo......
again what are your goals? a dyno #? a track time?
a maggie, cam, headers, meth, exhaust setup on a ls2gto will get you more power than you can use on the street
Old 07-21-2007, 08:57 AM
On The Tree

he is right not with a maggie combo you will need a boost cam and you do need to change your compression to about 8.5 to 1 so that means bost heads 72 cc and a boost cam which means lobe of no less then 114 but 115 or 116 would be best bob knows what he is talking about ask him what you will need to get that goal but if you need a rear to support all that power i got two for sale and i got a d1 kit for sale and 2 boost engines so let me know what you need or if you have anymore questions on how to get your car there i can help out if needed
Old 07-21-2007, 09:00 AM
On The Tree

and we dont need to bad mouth him he was just asking a question he might be new to the hobby or just new to fi so lets help him and not be an *** ok guys we can all do that cant we

Quick Reply: Going Forced induction, should i change heads or pistons?