Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Koni SA's for Street Use?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 04:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Koni SA's for Street Use?

I'm getting ready to replace the shocks on my 2000 Z28 (76,000 miles/stock DeCarbons). The only choices from what I've read on the forum are Bilstein HD's or Koni's. The car is used only for street regular driving. I get on it once in a while but primarily just normal everyday driving. It seems some people are having trouble with the new Bilstein HD rears so I'm just tempted to go Koni all around. Do you think this is overkill for just normal street driving?
Old 07-30-2007, 06:18 PM
TECH Addict

personally, i think its a little overkill if youre not going to race your car. you really dont need adjustable shocks if youre never going to adjust them. you should also get springs while youre at it. springs are up to you......everyone has a different opinion. you could talk to sam strano. hes the f-body suspension guy here. he'll suggest konis, but if you really dont plan on racing, there is nothing wrong with his revavled bilstiens. if you get springs other then his, you can still call him and get his revalves. he'll match them to your spring rates.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:30 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the info. I thought that the Koni's were a little much.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:55 PM
TECH Regular

On stock springs bilstein HD's work fine in front, and use third gen HD's in rear...call Sam for better info.

With drop springs use Sam revalves or koni's.

With that mileage your end link bushings are probably gone and should be replace with poly.

I feel those are the best choices for you.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:24 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can do the Konis and adjust them to your liking. I have Konis on both of my cars. One of the cars is a Honda. I would not use any other shock.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:34 PM
Teching In

Greggy:

Do you mean the bushings on the end links of the swaybars and/or control arms?
Old 07-30-2007, 08:57 PM
TECH Regular

My endlinks in the front were falling apart at 50k and the rear LCA bushings started moaning at 80k when they start to separate.

I'm just saying, if you are going to do shocks, then freshen up the rubber/poly parts that need it as well... Even if you are not wanting a handling machine, it will ride better and handle more predictably.

I have not tackled the front upper or lower control arm bushing, the uppers are usually fine, and the lowers seem sorta ok still at 90k. Also check tie rods as well while your down there.

The car will feel better than new with these parts being replaced if they are worn out.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Konis with stock springs give you a very comfortable ride on the street if set right. Much better than stock springs. If you think you may change your springs ever in the future, then Konis are a must.

You can get revalves or HD's though if you are sticking with stock springs. By overkill, if you mean the ride will be uncomfortable on konis, then it isn't even close to overkill. If by overkill you mean it will cost too much, I think its 3-400 something for HDs, 500 something for revalves, and ~800 for konis
Old 07-30-2007, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you get konis remember to have the adjustment window in the outside facing away from the car and able to adjust through the spring.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:31 PM
Teching In

Again guys, thanks for all the info. By overkill I meant that I know that Koni's are used by many who lower their cars and those who want a true race suspension. Just driving on the street like we do, I wanted a firm and stable ride. If the HD, HD revalves would accomplish this then I didn't see a need to spend almost double for the Koni's. On the other hand if the Koni's would provide a much better ride that the Bilsteins then I wouldn't mind spending the extra money.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:35 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I cant attest for the Bilsteins but the Konis are awesome. I just installed DAs on the front with stock springs and the ride is totally different. Right now they're set in the middle of harsh and soft.. Cant wait to get the rear upgraged as well.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got a DA front SA rear with GC coilovers combo and they're great. friend of mine has SA front nonadjustable rears with hotchiks springs for a much more 'wife friendly' ride and he's very happy too. cant go wrong, call sam strano, he'll get you exactly what you need.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by anne2000
Again guys, thanks for all the info. By overkill I meant that I know that Koni's are used by many who lower their cars and those who want a true race suspension. Just driving on the street like we do, I wanted a firm and stable ride. If the HD, HD revalves would accomplish this then I didn't see a need to spend almost double for the Koni's. On the other hand if the Koni's would provide a much better ride that the Bilsteins then I wouldn't mind spending the extra money.
Then I would get the good set of HDs. There's a few versions of the HDs going around, but if you buy from Sam Strano you will get the good set. I can attest that the konis are very comfortable with stock springs, but you don't really need them for your application. A lot of people on here are just going to blindly recommend konis to you without even reading what you originally wrote.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:15 AM
Launching!

My car is strictly a daily-driver street machine and I run Koni SA's in the
front with stock springs.

I like the flexibility they offer, and they also allow you to lower the front end
of your car 3/4" with the stock springs
Old 07-31-2007, 08:20 AM
TECH Junkie

I also went from stock shocks to konis immediately, but I had plans on lowering my car in the future. anne2000 doesn't
Old 07-31-2007, 10:53 AM
Teching In

FYI, you won't be getting the Bilsteins anytime soon. They are on nationwide backorder. Sam says he doesn't know when they will get any more.

I am getting the adjustable Konis. I like the adjustability factor. They will probably be the last shocks I will ever need to buy.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:25 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently bought a set of Koni's on my own car & initially had second thoughts due to the price. After they were installed, I never questioned the price again. They have to be the best single suspension mod for handling that I have ever done.

As far as needing adjustability, you will adjust them since you are able to. You will definitely feel the difference & soon wonder why all shocks do not have this feature.

Talk to Sam, he will steer you in the right direction. He is one of the few that will actually talk you out of buying something from him, if you really do not need it. You do not find that level of honesty often anymore.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:46 PM
Teching In

My husband talked to Sam today, actually Sam Jr, (I didn't know there were two Sam Stano's LOL) and everything I have heard about him is true. He went over all of the normal problems we should be aware of like the bushings on the LCA's and swaybar and his recommendation was his Bilstein revalves or the new HD fronts with 3 generation rears. The only problem of course is that the new Bilstein fronts are on backorder for possibly months and the new rears which are available he doesn't recommend because of valving problems. He didn't push the Koni's and in fact said that KYB's-Not the AGX's-or Tokico's might work. We are having the front end completely inspected by our local speed shop tomorrow and I can tell you that any parts we need we'll get from Sam. I think we'll probably go with the Koni's at least in the front and maybe wait for Sam's revalved Bilstein's in the rear.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:55 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Just a note, I was waiting on Koni's to come in--they now are for those of you waiting on the backorders. Koni's are available again, still no solid word on Bilstein's.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!