Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

HELP! Can't push clutch pedal in after clutch install.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 03:55 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HELP! Can't push clutch pedal in after clutch install.

Well I just finished installing my new textrailia exo skell clutch and went to bleed the clutch and the clutch pedal will not go down unless I crack the bleeder. What is wrong, did I install the clutch wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is the line from the master connected to the slave?

If it is not connected you cannot push the pedal down.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:25 PM
TECH Regular

exactly what i was gonna say just beat me to it make sure that line is pushed all the way in until it snaps or you wont be able to press the petal in
Old 08-02-2007, 04:53 PM
TECH Regular

Default just checked

Hey guys thanks for the sugestion, but it the master line is all the way connected to the slave cylinder. The only way I can get the clutch pedal to go down is if I crack the bleeder to release all of the presure in the line. I crack the bleeder and it pisses tons of fluid out and the pedal will go down, but doesnt have any pressure. When I close the bleeder and press down the pedal there isnt anything, then as I keep pumping the pedal I gradually get resistance that builds towards the bottom of the pedal. As I keep pumping the resistance moves higher and higher in the pedal until I get to the piont of not being able to push the clutch pedal in again. I hope this all makes sence. This is so frustratin, but your suggestions are really appreciated.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:37 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not making much sense at all. Proper bleeding . You really need two people to make this easier. Have one under car. Open bleeder . Push clutch pedal to floor. Then close bleeder and lift clutch pedal back up. Open bleeder and push to floor. Close and pull pedal up. Do this about 5 times and usually it should be good to go. If you pull it back up at all with it open you will suck air back in. Make sure you have enough fluid in there to not let it get too low and again suck in air. I bought a remote bleeder to make things simpler.
If there is air in lines the pedal should be soft and not come back up very well. If its firm and no air it should go into gear nicely. If the pedal won't go down and you have that master to slave line properly snapped in and I didn't at first on my car and pedal was like you said...then its got to be something really serious with slave ,master or something like that. Still baffling as it a hydraulic system not mechanical. Would think the pedal would go down to the floor. You may have to take the clutch out again and doublecheck ,make sure slave is on there right. Make sure no discs are backward ,they are marked for right direction though.
Old 04-30-2021, 04:14 AM

Did you figure out what was wrong I am having the same problem
Old 05-04-2021, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 228 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by sabastian267
Did you figure out what was wrong I am having the same problem
Legend has it that he is still bleeding his clutch to this day.
Old 05-04-2021, 06:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,786 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Typical...MY99TAWS6 explains in great detail on how to bleed the clutch and the OP never responds back with a simple thanks to close the thread.
Old 05-04-2021, 09:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 801 Likes on 611 Posts

I read an old post here a few days back. It seems that sometimes air gets trapped in the master and the pedal feels weird at times. The suggestion was to raise the rear of the car high and to open the master cap and pump the clutch 30-40 times and that should burp out trapped air.

Quick Reply: HELP! Can't push clutch pedal in after clutch install.