Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone here know how to recharge a/c?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 04:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone here know how to recharge a/c?

I need to replace my compressor, drier and pocket some cash. Has anyone done this? What tools are nessesary? Thanks. 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 (LS1).
Old 08-04-2007, 10:32 PM
12 Second Club

Just need to get a recharge kit from autozone, its just an aresol can with a guage. but if your getting a new compressor you need to have the system flushed and vacumed out or else the new compressor might fail.

my compressor just went out too so im just gonna put the new stuff on myself then take it somewhere to get flushed vacumed out and refilled for 50$.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The compressor is a bitch, just thought I'd let you know. The damn manifold line sucks. Start that bolt from the top, dont even try to do it from the bottom.

Hey firesilverlullaby, I'll be moving back to chesapeake in september, do yall have meets?
Old 08-04-2007, 11:02 PM
12 Second Club

yeah after you unbolt the compressor you just got to wiggle it out of their and make some room. i just got mine out from the bottom. then i just unbolted the accumulator which wasnt too bad.
again.
Old 08-05-2007, 04:58 AM
Teching In

i noticed my ac wasnt blowing cold last week then heard metal on metal sounds comming from my motor. when my friend opened the hood he said he saw sparks flying out of the compressor and told me to shut it off! is it normal for a compressor to do that when it goes bad? all i know it scared the **** out of me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by jonny wick; 08-05-2007 at 05:06 AM.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

I wouldn't say that anything throwing sparks under the hood would be "normal".

In order to recharge your system you'll need to

1)Replace compressor, making sure everything is buttoned and sealed up.

2)Have a shop with a vaccuum pump suck out all of the moisture/air from your A/C system. Have the shop vaccuum it for a good while, and then have the vaccuum shut off with the machine still hooked up, let it sit for about 10-20 minutes and check for changes in vac. If you see the needle moving back towards atmospheric pressure, you have leaks somewhere.

3)If all goes well, buy a couple of cans of freon from the auto parts store and start filling her up while the car is running. Use a gauge or regulator setup to make sure you get the right amount of freon in, which is usually at about the top of the blue section on the A/C guage.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:54 AM

Like said above, you can't just use the cans to fill it. It has to be done on a vacuume.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:33 AM
Teching In

hey i really appreciate the help guys. im going to replace compressor and drier this week sometime.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:07 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by davered00ss
Like said above, you can't just use the cans to fill it. It has to be done on a vacuume.
that is what i heard also from a mechanic friend also,unfortunately it was right after i shelled out almost 40 bones for nothing
Old 08-06-2007, 11:22 AM
10 Second Club

I have the hose to hook up a can and the valve on the low pressure side of the system and you open the valve while the A/C is on high with the windows down. The low side line will create the vacuum needed to suck down the Freon. I did this on my Jeep a couple weeks ago. I need to get the A/C fixed in the Camaro.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

How do we replace the drier? Where is the drier? Where are you guys getting your parts. I have a hole in my line. The one above the sway bar. I think that's all that's wrong with my car. That one line and some told me to change out the drier to be on the safe side. I have no idea what to change. Do I need special tools?
Old 08-06-2007, 12:17 PM
Launching!

Why can't you fill it from the can??? Having the vacuum pulled leaves your system in a vacuum which will pull the refrigerant out of the can. Then use the low side like said above and the compressor will do the rest.