Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Legal Trouble with loudmouth in lewisville area??

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2003, 10:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Legal Trouble with loudmouth in lewisville area??

Any of you guys get any legal problems with the loudmouth on your f-body? I am just about to install it and heard rumors that loudmouths get a lot of tickets due to the noise level? Any truth in this? I am more concerned with DFW area. (lewisville-carrollton-plano locality). Any input will be appreciated. Thanks
Old 05-22-2003, 11:23 AM
Staging Lane

Default Re: Legal Trouble with loudmouth in lewisville area??

If a Loudmouth creates a noise issue where you live, there must not be a single Harley on the road!
Old 05-22-2003, 11:38 AM
Launching!

The guy I sold my 95 LT1 car to was pulled over three times in the first two weeks he had it. They put a db meter on the ground and tested. They let him go without a ticket. (Wasn't loud enough to get the ticket.) This was with a Borla with the plate out in the Northern part of Cincinnati OH.
You may want to check with the locals and find out what the noise ordinances entail. Lots of loud stereo stuff around here.
Old 05-22-2003, 01:03 PM
Teching In

Never had any harrasment issues with just Loudmouth, only when I put on long tubes and Orp.
Old 05-22-2003, 04:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

SLP claims that with stock headers and cats, its 50 state legal...

My neighbors have bitched at me and called the cops, but the cops couldnt do anything
Old 05-22-2003, 05:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i live by houston and in the outskirts ive had some police pull me over and said i had "a defective exaust/loud muffler." he only gave me a warning, but ive heard the cop is an ***, so prob just giving me a hard time. there is a law in texas, # 547.064, i think it said that if there was excessive noise (no given dB level) or no muffler/resonator it needed to be fixed. they leave it to the officer to decide if its loud or not. and like someone said, bring up the facts of harleys and they cant say too much. but if you have a current inspection then i dont think they can say much about it.
Old 05-22-2003, 05:53 PM
Staging Lane

Well, the Loud mouth has a resonator, and it's 50 state leagal. I would tell the cops to kiss my ***, I am doing nothing thats illeagal. True, the laws in texas do not state a db level. So, sounds like something that could be taken care of in court all the time. How could you get a ticket for something that passes inspection? Hmmm, go figure
Old 05-22-2003, 07:07 PM
TECH Resident

It's 50 state emissions legal but I don't think SLP makes any claims about noise ordinances. I got pulled over in February for it near Chicago. The rule here is that if you modify the exhaust system in any way that makes it louder, they can ticket you.
Old 05-22-2003, 07:20 PM

Any of you guys get any legal problems with the loudmouth on your f-body? I am just about to install it and heard rumors that loudmouths get a lot of tickets due to the noise level? Any truth in this? I am more concerned with DFW area. (lewisville-carrollton-plano locality). Any input will be appreciated. Thanks
I don't think you'd have any problems. I live just down the way a bit from you. With all those damned redneck gomers with those abnoxious truck exhausts, I don't see what grounds they'd have. My motto, is "don't flaunt." I've never been much of a fan of loud exhausts for the street. If you want freedom from the fear, don't put it on. Find another way of gaining performance, without the noise. If you look like trouble, act like trouble, you invite trouble. Good luck.