General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

driver's side window not working?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 12:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default driver's side window not working?

I've seen stuff about GMs windows motors sucking, but the bastard search isn't working, so here goes: My driver's side window won't go up or down unless I seriously **** w/ it( pressing the button 8 million times, turning the car on/off, repeatedly opening/shutting the door, etc..) The power locks and passenger window are fine, it's just the driver's side. Is it the motor or just maybe a wire or something? Are both windows on the same fuse? Is the windows motor repairable? Where could I find a new one if it's broken and how much do they cost? Someone point me in the right direction, please. Thanks.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its most likely shot, go to your local auto parts store and get one. try to find siemens, do not use that dorman crap.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Pep boys want to charge me $80 just to look at it plus labor and the part($80). Does this sound reasonable?

Also, is the motor connected to the regulator? A local shop quoted me around $50 extra if they have to drill the regulator out of the door(if the windows motor has never been replaced before)?
Old 08-09-2007, 03:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get one with a lifetime warranty and replace it yourself...might even find it's been replaced before and won't have to drill the rivets. http://shbox.com/page/windowmotor.html
Old 08-10-2007, 01:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, the window works fine so far today. The motor growls as the window goes up or down. The passenger window does not make any noise, but moves slower than the driver's side. This happened to my 02 camaro too. Had these same problems one day, then it never happened again. Maybe I'll get lucky. Anyone else's windows not work one day then start working again? How long did they continue working for?
Old 08-10-2007, 01:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive had them periodically cut out, then it started happening more often. then the driver side just wouldnt work anymore.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

did you change it out yourself or have a shop do it?
Old 08-12-2007, 05:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

go to advance auto. thats where i went. got a motor with lifetime warranty. their is a link to a site showing how to do it yourself. its simle. the toughest part is just position the drill bit where the rivets are. i am by no means a mechanic. i can do tires/ change oil and other minor stuff. i did this by myself worked first time.

i think i paid 70 bucks for the motor?