General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Spark Plugs...??

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 11:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark Plugs...??

This is my first f-body and I was thinking about doing a lil tune up,,,plugs,wires,oil,air filter, etc.. Anyways I have heard that changing the plugs are a bitch to do in these cars. How hard of a job is it?? Thanks
Old 08-09-2007, 11:42 PM
10 Second Club

Nah plugs arent bad, there are a couple little tricks, if you have a 99+ f-body you can remove the passenger side coil pack assembly (one peice, with 1 connecter and 4 plug wires).

If you're concerned about which plugs to run, depends on your mods, I've gone through multiple sets of NGK plugs, tr-55's and tr-6's(colder plug for higher cylidner pressures), only because I've owned 7 f-body's, but needless to say they havent failed me yet, are priced great, and they most importantly get the job done.

You're gonna need a 5/8" plug socket with a 3/8" drive wrachet, and a few short extensions (1x 1/2 " and 1x 3"), new plugs, a gapping tool, which they sell everywhere, even toys-r-us has them, Lol Just kiddin. DON'T FORGET to use anti-seize on the new plugs!!! Or you WILL be crying when you have to re-thread the heads!

Hope this helps.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:43 PM
10 Second Club

Oh and most imortantly, this being your first f-body, you WILL need patience. A good amount of it at that!

-Mark
Old 08-09-2007, 11:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

lol well its stock right now except for exhaust, so what plugs and wires should I go with? and how much are we talkin also?? does new plugs help it out alot?Thanks
Old 08-09-2007, 11:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

spark plug change is easy
Old 08-10-2007, 02:38 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Moving to General Maintenance and repairs....
Old 08-10-2007, 06:57 AM
10 Second Club

Plugs will be NGK Tr-55's, wires will be your choice of MSD, Taylor, or whatever you choose, you need to gap the plugs to 55 thoughsandths of an inch also, which you can do with the gapping tool you need to buy also.

Plugs = 8 bucks (not sure if thats discounted at the shop I buy from)
Wires = 60-100 bucks depending on which you buy.

As far as new plugs helping, when I first changed the plugs when I got this car, it had 4 diff plugs in it, 1 stock, 2 bosch, 2 ngk, and 3 bosch quad tip's.... So when I changed them it made a big difference(wires help a lot to if your stockers are old).
Old 08-10-2007, 09:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

ok thanks man!
Old 08-10-2007, 05:32 PM
10 Second Club

No problem.
Old 08-11-2007, 04:13 PM
TECH Junkie

what's the "anti-sieze" needed for? what's it do exactly?
Old 08-11-2007, 04:17 PM
10 Second Club

Exactly what the name implies?!?! The heads in our cars are made of allum which is soft, and after you put a set of steel plugs in those holes for several thoughsand cylinder fires they dont really want to come out, I'm assuming there is some sort of gas emitted the creates some sort of crystaline structure between the plug and the head (rofl I'm totally talkin out of my *** now), the Anti-sieze creates a lubricated barrier between the Head and the plug, so they can be seperated from eachother.

Oh and Purple, your plugs do NOT need to be torque'd on!! I usually just hand tighten and a very slight snug with the wrench. Anymore and they arent commin out!
Old 08-11-2007, 04:21 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Be thankful you dont own an LT1, those plugs would make you cry

The Anti-Seize allows the plug threads to have less of a chance of bonding with the aluminum threads in the head. A very good preventive measure when installing new plugs. Just be careful to only apply to the treads, it can also be an 'anti-spark' if applied to the electrode.
T.E on the plugs....tight enough should do! Some people go as far as clocking the plugs for optimum performance.
Old 08-11-2007, 06:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

[QUOTE=z28poweredlt1]Exactly what the name implies?!?! The heads in our cars are made of allum which is soft, and after you put a set of steel plugs in those holes for several thoughsand cylinder fires they dont really want to come out, I'm assuming there is some sort of gas emitted the creates some sort of crystaline structure between the plug and the head (rofl I'm totally talkin out of my *** now), the Anti-sieze creates a lubricated barrier between the Head and the plug, so they can be seperated from eachother.
QUOTE]

Actually you have two different metals, aluminum and steel, each has different properties, (electrical potentials). By putting them together in a harsh environment you get bi-metal corrosion, causing aluminum oxides or iron oxides to form on the threads of your plugs. This causes the plugs to get stuck in the heads....not good! By putting anti-sieze on the threads you are preventing this from occuring. It is good pratice.

Also, to help putting your plug wires back on put a little bit of di-electric grease in each of the plug boots. This will make them slide on and off of the plugs easily...which is nice on #8.
Old 08-11-2007, 09:12 PM
TECH Junkie

great.... i don't think i put anti-sieze on my plugs when i changed em about 15k miles ago....
Old 08-11-2007, 11:31 PM
TECH Regular

The only difficulties I had the first time were pulling the stock plugs/wires - they were a little tight. Oh, and the last bolt closest to the firewall on the passenger side coil pack rail - a reall pain - leave that sucker off. If you have some ramps, you may want to drive up for the #8 plug. When changing from underneath the car, #8 is the easiest to accomplish of the entire set. Good luck and have fun!!!
Old 08-12-2007, 01:04 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by PureWS6
Actually you have two different metals, aluminum and steel, each has different properties, (electrical potentials). By putting them together in a harsh environment you get bi-metal corrosion, causing aluminum oxides or iron oxides to form on the threads of your plugs. This causes the plugs to get stuck in the heads....not good! By putting anti-sieze on the threads you are preventing this from occuring. It is good pratice.
Thank you professor.

Dude, now that you know more than you wanted to... antisieze makes it a buttload easier to take the plugs out again later. A little bit on the plug threads will make the job way less of a pain the next time. Same with silicone dielectric on the boots. (PS, not just any lube will do. Get the silicone dielectric.)
Old 08-12-2007, 02:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Boodyrider
Thank you professor.
You learn something new everyday....
Old 08-12-2007, 03:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Boodyrider
Thank you professor.

Dude, now that you know more than you wanted to... antisieze makes it a buttload easier to take the plugs out again later. A little bit on the plug threads will make the job way less of a pain the next time. Same with silicone dielectric on the boots. (PS, not just any lube will do. Get the silicone dielectric.)
speak for yourself. i'd rather have it described the way he did compared to your "buttload easier" reason.
Old 08-12-2007, 06:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Def use antiseize. Some plugs come with it on them already. And definitely get a 3/8 extension kit. If thats the ratchet you use. I use the lil nub extension or the 3in one. Or a combo of both. Those ratchet extension kits are a must. Plus you can usually get a 3/8 to 1/4 connector or vice versa which can really help in tight spaces.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TheSilverOne
speak for yourself. i'd rather have it described the way he did compared to your "buttload easier" reason.
Thank you