Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help on dropping motor in car..

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 09:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help on dropping motor in car..

here is the deal i got a new longblock from TSP and its all assembled so i dont know where to hoist the engine from... any suggestions or ideas??
Old 08-13-2007, 09:58 AM
Launching!

well from what i read in the past...engines going in the fbody's have to be bottomloaders...im not sure though
Old 08-13-2007, 10:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can do top or bottom. i did the bottom and found it to be easy. havent tried the top yet.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

ive heard from the head bolt's. but ya like 35th said... most people do it from the bottom since its really easy to do... just unbolt the 6 kmember bolts, tranmission crossmember, torque arm, PCM, disconnect any harness' that are not directly on the engine or transmission, then unbolt the 8 bolts that are in your passenger and driver wheel wells under the hood.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

if you do it out the top then your gonna have a hell of a time getting the tranmission off and also clearing all the accessories of the engine. you can use an engine hoist to lift the car.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:43 AM
TECH Resident

You Have To Also Pull The Bolts Off The Sway Bar Bushing Caps And There Is Also 1 Brake Line That Has To Be Disconnected Before The Motor Can Be Removed From The Bottom......have Fun
Old 08-13-2007, 10:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

uhh, so anyway...

you need 3 people.

most engine hoists will need another hole drilled to be a bit longer... this generally isnt an issue, since the LS1 is light and still doesnt exceed safe weight limits. we (local car club) have a hoist we all use for this...

you can do it just with the engine or with the engine and trans. heres some tips:

pull off a engine mount pedistal... just one.. this gives you plenty of clearance to install/remove with the trans attached.

the chain goes in with a SHORT bolt on the rear of a head and the other side front of a head... if the bolt is not short, you will not be able to remove it (it will hit the firewall)
make the chaing as TIGHT as you can get it, as excessive slack makes it pull up more, and the chain then hits the cowl.
lift from the mid-front... the engine will excessively tip up. this is why you need 3 people. 1 to hold/work the hoist.. and one on each side of the assembly to guide it.

tilt it until you can get the crank pulley over the radiator area.. after that, you're golden.

put towels/blankets/etc between the hoist and the nose of the car.. it shouldnt hit, but it will want to unless you hold it back.

you dont have to remove the hood.

im probably forgetting some stuff.... lol. but thats some tips.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:03 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
uhh, so anyway...

you need 3 people.

most engine hoists will need another hole drilled to be a bit longer... this generally isnt an issue, since the LS1 is light and still doesnt exceed safe weight limits. we (local car club) have a hoist we all use for this...

you can do it just with the engine or with the engine and trans. heres some tips:

pull off a engine mount pedistal... just one.. this gives you plenty of clearance to install/remove with the trans attached.

the chain goes in with a SHORT bolt on the rear of a head and the other side front of a head... if the bolt is not short, you will not be able to remove it (it will hit the firewall)
make the chaing as TIGHT as you can get it, as excessive slack makes it pull up more, and the chain then hits the cowl.
lift from the mid-front... the engine will excessively tip up. this is why you need 3 people. 1 to hold/work the hoist.. and one on each side of the assembly to guide it.

tilt it until you can get the crank pulley over the radiator area.. after that, you're golden.

put towels/blankets/etc between the hoist and the nose of the car.. it shouldnt hit, but it will want to unless you hold it back.

you dont have to remove the hood.

im probably forgetting some stuff.... lol. but thats some tips.

Post up a video clip from the next time you guys do a motor install. You'll need an extra person to hold the camera or use a tripod.

Heres my newbish question: Whats the differance between a short and long block? I guess dissplacement, but I never heard of the LS1 coming in two sizes.

Thanks
Old 08-13-2007, 09:08 PM
TECH Addict

shortblock is without heads, cam, pan etc.... longblock is a complete engine.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by TheRealSpdFreak
Post up a video clip from the next time you guys do a motor install. You'll need an extra person to hold the camera or use a tripod.

Heres my newbish question: Whats the differance between a short and long block? I guess dissplacement, but I never heard of the LS1 coming in two sizes.

Thanks

actually i have some pics somewhere of when we did jasons.... i'll ask him if he still has them.

a shortblock is the rotating assembly assembled... block, crank, rods, pistons, rings, bearings, etc..... but no heads, sometimes no cam, etc.

a long block has the shortblock, plus the heads, cam, oil pump, etc... it may or may not have the oil pan, timing cover, valley plate, etc.

a complete motor, is just as it sounds... intake is on, covers are on.... but that usually doesnt include accessories.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

i have taken it from under the car few times, its nice, alot of work though, but the best way,

my friend took it upside and it was just stupid
Old 08-14-2007, 07:59 AM
12 Second Club

what do you guy's use to remove the motor from the bottom,, I don't have a lift.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:45 AM
TECH Junkie

heres some pics.

jay has a tubular Kmember in this install.. however that makes it MORE of a pain, since you cant unbolt the motor mount pedestals... remove one, and you have more room then we did...

Old 08-14-2007, 01:59 PM
Staging Lane

Nice pictures!

How long does an install take? And does the transmition have to be put in (bolted up before) with the engine?
Old 08-17-2007, 08:48 PM
Staging Lane

thank for the tips Mr.dude_1.... my tranny is still on the car and i see on the pic that you got a tranny on there, so would it make it more easy fro me?
Old 08-17-2007, 08:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Thule

my friend took it upside and it was just stupid
I just pulled mine from the top for the first time and it was no difference than pulling a motor from any other muscle car, did it by myself and it was no hassle at all.