LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Egr delete-possibly overheat and blow gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 11:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Egr delete-possibly overheat and blow gasket?

I ordered some EGR block-off plates from ebay after reading on here for a few mins. After purchasing them, I looked here more and found one post about not being able to do this on LT1's because "they will over heat because there isnt enough overlap in the cam". Is there any truth to that or is it only this way if you don't have it tuned out...I have a 94 and would like some replies from personal experiences with the EGR block-off plates...

thanks
Old 09-02-2007, 12:06 AM
Launching!

I know people who have run EGR deletes without any problems but they've had minor tuning done. A cheap mail order tune for intake/headers/exhaust with that programmed out would be a good idea. I don't know if you have to program it out to avoid the problem but, that's at least some information.
Old 09-02-2007, 01:36 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

I have read mixed things about it, i deleted mine, ill let you know if it blows them or not, i did just replace the heads and gaskets though.
Old 09-02-2007, 12:24 PM
12 Second Club

Get the egr tuned out. The egr causes a ton of heat that eventually blows out the rear intake gasket. This is why the blown intake gasket is such a well known problem on the lt1's. If you're not worried about emission tests then you're fine without it.
Old 09-02-2007, 01:09 PM
On The Tree

Did yall notice any change in operating temp? Any other changes?
Old 09-02-2007, 01:25 PM
On The Tree

i just deleted mine yesterday drove around all night just fine until i was coming home pulled on my street gave it some gas and you can hear something that sounds like a blown gasket...im trying to find the problem today just got back from driving it and u can only hear it when u give it gas...when u are at a stop nothing...when u rev it up nothing..even when ur driving you hear nothing until u step on the gas...im going to let it cool off and go over everything ...i even hollowed out my cat and maybe i didnt weld it good enough..hopefully thats it...but if it is a intake gasket ill let ya know
Old 09-02-2007, 01:32 PM
TECH Veteran

You're gonna blow intake gasket with EGR before you will without it. The EGR puts that hot exhaust gas right in the back of the intake so you're gonna see a blowout right there. Take it off and the only thing in your intake is fresh air.
Old 09-02-2007, 01:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

I've had mine tuned out/removed on several cars and I have had no problems.

I have seen no evidence that you will blow a head gasket by removing egr.
Old 09-02-2007, 02:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by dhdenney
You're gonna blow intake gasket with EGR before you will without it. The EGR puts that hot exhaust gas right in the back of the intake so you're gonna see a blowout right there. Take it off and the only thing in your intake is fresh air.
Theres one risk with that, when the EGR is open the PCM runs more timing, if you do some form of trick like leaving the solenoid plugged in while disconnecting the vacuum lines and the pcm thinks the egr is still running you MIGHT blow a headgasket. But the pcm only runs more timing at part throttle and only while the egr is open, generally the engine is not under high load so its very unlikeley. The guys blowing headgaskets from no EGR are A) having the egr not work while the pcm thinks it is and B) have some other underlying problem.
Old 09-02-2007, 03:04 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by LiENUS
Theres one risk with that, when the EGR is open the PCM runs more timing, if you do some form of trick like leaving the solenoid plugged in while disconnecting the vacuum lines and the pcm thinks the egr is still running you MIGHT blow a headgasket. But the pcm only runs more timing at part throttle and only while the egr is open, generally the engine is not under high load so its very unlikeley. The guys blowing headgaskets from no EGR are A) having the egr not work while the pcm thinks it is and B) have some other underlying problem.
The problem isn't head gaskets blowing. The egr in generates too much heat when it's operating which blows out the rear intake gasket over time. Delete it and all should be ok.
Old 09-02-2007, 03:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Slowmaro95Z28
The problem isn't head gaskets blowing. The egr in generates too much heat when it's operating which blows out the rear intake gasket over time. Delete it and all should be ok.
He didnt specify intake or headgasket, I pointed out a manner in which headgaskets could blow and the only person i've seen complain about their egr valve malfunction blowing a gasket was a headgasket.
Old 09-02-2007, 03:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by LiENUS
Perhaps but I've never heard of anyone blowing a headgasket and it be EGR related. I was referring to intake gasket.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:17 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Slowmaro95Z28

most of that issue can be addressed with good sealant and good gaskets. I use either ultra copper or the The Right Stuff. I blue loctite all of my intake bolts. In 3yrs the intake is still leak free

Quick Reply: Egr delete-possibly overheat and blow gasket?