LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Here we go again.... LT1 hydraulic roller cam and RR/Valve adjustment....

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 01:03 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Here we go again.... LT1 hydraulic roller cam and RR/Valve adjustment....

Alright .......... I just got into it with one of my older hotrod buddys while I was building my motor and he was watching me do my valve adjustment on my engine. He is kinda old school growing up with 69 camaros and hemi's and all. So I kinda trust his judgement... To a point. I have the hydraulic roller LE4 cam and as most people know that the lifters really are not primed before your initial startup. I just soaked the lifters in oil for a couple of hours. I proceeded to adjust the RR's to set the preload... tighten up the RR's untill you feel the pushrod stop spinning and then go down half a turn. He wanted me to bottom out the lifter and then back off half a turn....? this started up a huge debate between me and him and I really did not agree with him on this.
I went on ahead and did it my way and the motor runs great, but has anyone else ever heard of this being done on a hydraulic roller cam? Has anyone ever tried it that way and what were the effects?
Old 09-02-2007, 01:10 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you did it to where the lifter stopped spinning + 1/2 turn your lifters will have way too much preload on them. You should be able to feel 0 lash by just tightning the poly locks by hand and feel when they start having the slightest amount of resistence.
Old 09-02-2007, 01:22 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

If you did it his way, it would prolly start, but when you rev it the load on the lifters will keep the valves from seating causing it to pop as if you had low rpm valve float.
Old 09-02-2007, 01:22 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Oh yea, i know this from experience....
Old 09-02-2007, 03:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

real men set valves while the engine is running!

at least you don't have comp "R" lifters. they were a bitch to set properly.
Old 09-02-2007, 03:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ZEX-Z
Alright .......... I just got into it with one of my older hotrod buddys while I was building my motor and he was watching me do my valve adjustment on my engine. He is kinda old school growing up with 69 camaros and hemi's and all. So I kinda trust his judgement... To a point. I have the hydraulic roller LE4 cam and as most people know that the lifters really are not primed before your initial startup. I just soaked the lifters in oil for a couple of hours. I proceeded to adjust the RR's to set the preload... tighten up the RR's untill you feel the pushrod stop spinning and then go down half a turn. He wanted me to bottom out the lifter and then back off half a turn....? this started up a huge debate between me and him and I really did not agree with him on this.
I went on ahead and did it my way and the motor runs great, but has anyone else ever heard of this being done on a hydraulic roller cam? Has anyone ever tried it that way and what were the effects?
Did you use the #1 and #6 TDC method? I might go back and put another 1/8th on mine--might be my problem.
Old 09-03-2007, 01:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

i did it with the motor running, yes i have comp1.6 R's...wear some gloves be prepared to feel some heat!
Old 09-03-2007, 01:23 AM
11 Second Club

Well..... i have already adjusted them like they are supposed to be, i was just curious if anyone has ever heard of a fresh motor with the lifters not primed yet,had the RR's adjusted that way before. i still cant see why running the lifter all the way down until the RR puts pressure on the valve and then back off half a turn. I have always adjusted them with the pushrod +half a turn. There was some arguing and i just wanted to tell him that was the wrong way. Im pretty sure the valves would be open or floating if you did it that way.
Old 09-03-2007, 03:07 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Yea, tell him to try it on his own ****
Old 09-04-2007, 08:47 AM
On The Tree

I've been playing with engines for over 20 years and never heard of what he was saying to do. I never heard or read of anyone bottoming out a lifter.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

David Vizard published one time that you should set them just off fully preloaded. In other words, just a few thousands from totally bottomed out. The theory was that this makes them act more like solid lifters.

However, a test was done in one of the magazines a couple years ago indicating the opposite was true. They actually found the most power on the dyno while running a small amount of lash on a hydraulic cam. I do not know the reason for this, but I'm sure it has something to do with the high speed dynamics of the valvetrain.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:16 PM
11 Second Club

Wow! Thanks!
Old 09-04-2007, 01:17 PM
11 Second Club

I would think it would make the valve float.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:01 PM
Launching!

i have never heard that either.
typically, tighter on the lifter equals little more power up top, with possible higher rpms.
lighter is just the opposite.
i have always done your way of doing it, for both new engines/or when they are off, but i also do it while its running, just make sure your ready for a little bit of a mess.

aaron
Old 09-04-2007, 04:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ZEX-Z

You are BOTH wrong, just he moreso than you.

The spin the pushrod method will lead to too much preload, speed_demon24 gave you good advise.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Bowtie_Aaron
i have never heard that either.
typically, tighter on the lifter equals little more power up top, with possible higher rpms.
lighter is just the opposite.
i have always done your way of doing it, for both new engines/or when they are off, but i also do it while its running, just make sure your ready for a little bit of a mess.

aaron
I've have been told the opposite. Lighter on the preload is easier on the lifters and generally will allow for a slight more Hp up top.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by buffman
I've have been told the opposite. Lighter on the preload is easier on the lifters and generally will allow for a slight more Hp up top.
me too.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:43 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
If you did it to where the lifter stopped spinning + 1/2 turn your lifters will have way too much preload on them. You should be able to feel 0 lash by just tightning the poly locks by hand and feel when they start having the slightest amount of resistence.
exactly, should be 0 up/down slack & set preload.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:38 PM
11 Second Club

My setup is as speed_demon described zero lash with only resistance, not stopping the spin. 1/4 turn preload on comp 850's.

Quick Reply: Here we go again.... LT1 hydraulic roller cam and RR/Valve adjustment....