Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True duals vs Cat back

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2003, 04:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default True duals vs Cat back

Okay.. i have MAC header's, off road pipe, and a 4" mufflex single hide away cat back, flowmaster muffler.. When i went to Bowling Green this Weekand, i seen alot of the cars were running true duels cut off before the cat back, It didnt appear to be that they were running muffler's.. I know this sounds stupid but, is there a performance gain going with this setup? I dont run cat's and i dont have any emmisions restriction's. Not that my car sound's bad, but these car's where loud as hell.. Nineball was sitting with me and he told me to take a crayon and draw a line.. Where the crayon stops melting cut there.. Do i really want to cut my off road pipe or should i replace it with something else? Sorry for the long post but i am sold on this setup.. Just want to do it right..
Old 06-02-2003, 06:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: Exhaust Question

Am i out in left field on my question? How are the guy's going with this setup doing it and what are the gains if any?
Old 06-02-2003, 05:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I fixed the title for ya.. see if it sparks more interest.
Old 06-02-2003, 05:51 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are tradeoffs with the exhaust NOT being routed out the back of the car. Typically noise and smell. Most do the duals for sound and weight savings. Performance - I believe a well designed y-pipe will flow as well as duals. Having not dynoed them back to back, I'll let other's step in with an opinion.

Old 06-02-2003, 08:44 PM
Launching!

With stock manifolds I saw no difference between the loudmouth and duals.
Old 06-02-2003, 11:50 PM
TECH Veteran

performance is negatable.....the "factory style" will flow more than any of us will ever do...

The only reason to do true duel is sound. NO catback can compare with true duels.....sorry...not happening... ....

The answer to the drone/smell/etc....DON'T DUMP IN FRONT OF THE AXLE.....go out the back....

If you go with 2.5" pipe, you can run along the drive shaft and then go right under (yes...UNDER) the axle and out the rear.

Now your probubly thinking "can't do it on a lowered car...." ... no no no... ....I have LG motorsports Coilovers and to give you an idea of how low I am, you can't put more than one finger in between the top of the front tire and the fender....its LOW!!! My SLP subframes "would" drag before the exhaust and thats only when I go over REALLY tall speed bumps. When the car is lifted off the ground, the rearend's swaybar just rests (does not even move the pipe) on the exhaust pipe. Its a really cool setup.

Chris
Old 06-03-2003, 02:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

As far as this crayon thing... my exhaust has stained the paint on my rear bumper, and not due to carbon... heat alone.
Old 06-03-2003, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for fixing that for me John.. So what i am gathering is.. no performance gain and the car will be loud as ****..lol (not that that is a bad thing) Am i better off staying with the system i alredy have?
Old 06-03-2003, 02:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

performance is negatable.....the "factory style" will flow more than any of us will ever do...

The only reason to do true duel is sound. NO catback can compare with true duels.....sorry...not happening... ....

The answer to the drone/smell/etc....DON'T DUMP IN FRONT OF THE AXLE.....go out the back....

If you go with 2.5" pipe, you can run along the drive shaft and then go right under (yes...UNDER) the axle and out the rear.

Now your probubly thinking "can't do it on a lowered car...." ... no no no... ....I have LG motorsports Coilovers and to give you an idea of how low I am, you can't put more than one finger in between the top of the front tire and the fender....its LOW!!! My SLP subframes "would" drag before the exhaust and thats only when I go over REALLY tall speed bumps. When the car is lifted off the ground, the rearend's swaybar just rests (does not even move the pipe) on the exhaust pipe. Its a really cool setup.

Chris
I'd love to see pics of that setup. The only ones I've seen so far are where the dual pipes come together and up over the axle where the stock pipe runs. Lets see it!
Old 06-03-2003, 05:26 PM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

I'd like to see it also. Any pics??

Matt
Old 06-03-2003, 07:45 PM
TECH Veteran

I'll get my friend to take some pics with his digital camera and then I can post them.

Chris
Old 06-03-2003, 09:40 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry guys, but Im not sure I follow. Do true duals or a catback flow better? Which one puts out better numbers? I thought that if I replaced my Loudmout with true duals and have 2 bullet style mufflers (not resonaters), then it would quiet down a little. I thought that true duals would flow better because I figured that a y-pipe has a slight restriction over an x-pipe because of the drastic bend. I want a light exhaust, flows the best, and sounds good without it being so poppy and having a lot of resonance. I like the way it sounds at idle and at WOT, but when driving it normal, its too damn loud. If I do go with true duals, then I definately want it past the axle whether it'd be over or under it. I would like to see pics underneath. Thanks
Old 06-04-2003, 12:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Re: True duals vs Cat back

How would duals not flow better? It scavenges the gases easier and faster. Not to mention the weight savings you would have over a catback. About a good 40-50lb difference. Ask Lane at www.laneswheels.com he gained 24rwhp in the midrange over his mac offroad y and a cutout, the fastest ls1's in the nation run duals for a reason. And the drone all depends on what type of mufflers you go with. Duals sound a hell of a lot better than a y-pipe will ever sound.
Old 06-04-2003, 08:55 AM
On The Tree

I agree
Old 06-04-2003, 09:41 AM
TECH Veteran

They probubly flow better, but the question is does it really matter. A loudmouth will flow more than just about any engine will need.

The reason people say "they don't flow more" is because you don't want to do true duels for hp. The gains will not be worth the cost. The only reason to do them is if you want the sound. Then any "improvment" will be an added bonus.

Chris
Old 06-04-2003, 11:21 AM
Launching!

*** Agreed. I got lots of good comments this week while running with the Porshe Club at Watkins Glen. ***

*** I have Grots, an X-pipe, no cats, and 3" all the way back, under the axle. There are two Magna Flow, straight through, mufflers tucked up behind the bumper, attached with flanges. Next step is to make two tail pipes, no mufflers, to switch in at the track. All things being equal, there is only 1/4" less ground clearance with 3" pipe. ***

*** My car is lowered 3/4" and clearance is definitely a problem. However, the car gets more miles on the road course than on the street. Can't clear speedbumps, and you got to watch out for dips in the road where the rear springs will compress because the pipes will drop with the body. But, I wanted max clearance for the sway bar and panhard for hard cornering on track. Maybe didn't need all that room. ***

Chris
Old 06-04-2003, 11:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Read my post again. With duals you will pick up a lot of midrange lacking with offroad y. If you compare the price a good catback/ory you will basically equal the price of duals. Sound is just a plus, I for one didn't want duals, I was set on borla with ory because I liked the way it sounded better, but I was told performance would be a lot different. So I went ahead and tried them out, and must say the sound is incredible, no rasp or drone period.
Old 06-04-2003, 03:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Does anyone here have a true dual setup with flowmasters over the axle and out the back? I think that would sound just wicked! (As you can tell I'm in it for the sound).
Old 06-05-2003, 08:48 AM
TECH Addict

Does anyone here have a true dual setup with flowmasters over the axle and out the back? I think that would sound just wicked! (As you can tell I'm in it for the sound).
I have over the axles and out the back, but not with Flowmasters. Sounds pretty good! Was a little too loud until I installed cats again. I plan to eventually make off-road pipes and dumps so I can remove the cats and the tailpipes for racing.

http://www.angelfire.com/on2/Vinnie/truedual.html
Old 06-05-2003, 11:48 AM
TECH Junkie

I almost went duals, the only thing that stopped me was I did not want to smell like gas all the time. I compromised and put an electric cutout QTEC in the IPipe so i can open it up whenever I want, if you really wanted you could but dual cutouts on close to the headers and have it run like open headers if you wanted, Compared to a catback the duals would have to flow better and the weight savings would be a plus as well. You can probably get the flow out of a cutout but the weight is another story. You may have to ask yourself would duals be too loud in the long run and do you mind the smell of gas?