Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange Drag Brakes & Moser Install Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 12:38 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange Drag Brakes & Moser Install Question

So I found out why people use a 1/8" bearing spacer to pull the axle out to the backing plate. Burkhart sells the spacers for $50. But that seems a bit steep to me. The question is I have is what keeps a guy from flipping the backing plate around so the bearing is flush mount on the axle tube like the stock backing plate and then just use 1/8" worth of washers on the backing plate to align the rotor to the caliper? Seems to me that would work.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:04 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

If you flip the backing plate over the clipers arent held on as the thru nuts will pull out of the bracket. Just get the spacers from Burkhart. They are a pain to make and I charge more than that.

225-343-9029
Old 09-17-2007, 02:31 PM
Banned

The brackets can be installed on either side of the car though, so they can be installed so the through nuts are installed correctly. Just means the calipers have to be mounted toward the front instead of rear though I think.

Is that the only real issue?
Old 09-17-2007, 03:27 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

The offset will be wrong also. Just buy the spacers and do it correctly.

225-343-9029
Old 09-17-2007, 04:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MADMAN
The offset will be wrong also. Just buy the spacers and do it correctly.
I'm not trying to be an *** or be a cheap *** for that matter, but it seems to me the bearing spacer isn't the correct way to do it. The reason I say that is the axles were flush mounted with the stock backing plates, but now with the strange backing plate the bearing should be 1/8" out of the axle tube just to line up the caliper? I think I would rather leave the axle where it's supposed to be and shim the caliper. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the axle/bearing better off in the housing?

Thx for you time MADMAN, I'm getting ready to install your Arm and will probably call on you for some help setting it up.

Scott
Old 09-17-2007, 04:55 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The bearings sticking out a little also help center the bracket since they fit in the pocket in the bracket. That little bit sticking out isnt going to weaken the bearing or anything.

I had to use the spacers too, dont remember them costing that much but maybe they did..
Old 09-17-2007, 05:19 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I am not trying to be a dick either. The Moser housing end is different than the Strange and you are using Strange brakes. To line the caliper up correctly to the rotor is to use the spacer and like KP said center the bracket.

225-343-9029
Old 09-17-2007, 06:09 PM
Banned

I don't think the backing plate needs to be perfectly center. The mounting holes are pretty tight as it is. The stock backing plate isn't setup this way, why would the strange need to be?

How is the strange 12 bolt different than the moser?
Old 09-17-2007, 06:30 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I am trying to give you free advice and experience that I have gone thru. I have installed a ton of these kits and I know the idiosyncrasies of them. Take the advice given by KP who is older and wiser and a chassis builder.

Or you can try it your way and see what happens. Though Tom the Roofer had his the way you are talking and had to buy new backing plates because of things I am telling you.

225-343-9029
Old 09-17-2007, 06:55 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am trying to give you free advice and experience that I have gone thru. I have installed a ton of these kits and I know the idiosyncrasies of them. Take the advice given by KP who is older and wiser and a chassis builder.

Or you can try it your way and see what happens. Though Tom the Roofer had his the way you are talking and had to buy new backing plates because of things I am telling you.
eh, ******** yes, chassis builder no

I dont even think the calipers will even go on the rotors without those spacers and the brackets being the right way. I tried the first time since no one told me about any spacers when I bought them, had to call Billingsly and they told me about them..
Old 09-18-2007, 12:18 PM
Banned

I guess the reason I posted the message was for the information why you can't turn the backing plates around. What sort of problem did Tom have? Was it from not having the backing plate bushing screwed from the correct direction or something to do with the bearings. thx.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:21 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

All the above.

225-343-9029
Old 09-18-2007, 03:01 PM
Banned

I ordered the bearing spacer kit. j

I have plenty to work on til they get here. I just hate to not finish a project when I start.

thx guys!