Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clear this up for me please and go easy on the rook

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 01:09 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clear this up for me please and go easy on the rook

alright i come off and old school pre smog list of cars 68, 69, 70, camaros so im lined up along side a 2000 ss camaro like mine and he has an asr button and i dont. just a blank button that does nothing. now, does this mean that i do not have traction control as an option on my car (fine by me) or that it is always on in which case i need the tcs logic control. i have heard conflicting stories so once and for all? and i was thinking of getting a fast 90mm intake and fast 90mm throttle body as opposed to using the ls6 intake. comments? other goodies i was planning on getting with this budget are an slp cold air intake system 160 thermostat under drive pullies and midlength headers (lowered car) and wrapping this all up would be a tune. sound like a ligit beginning to modding?
Old 09-19-2007, 01:43 AM
Staging Lane

what year is your car
Old 09-19-2007, 01:44 AM
Teching In

its a 2000
Old 09-19-2007, 01:45 AM
12 Second Club

you dont have traction control !!! the fast 90/90 combo wont show significant gains unless you have a cam and/or good flowing heads. mid length headers are better than shorty but wont see the gains of long tubes. really any brand air lid will be an advantage over stock. ive never been a fan of doing a lower temp thermostat. i wouldnt do the tune unless your done modding the car for awhile or its running like ****.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:12 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS1>girlfriend
. ive never been a fan of doing a lower temp thermostat.
Why is that? Just kind of curious.

Thanks
Old 09-19-2007, 11:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

cars make more power the hotter they are(not hotter air obviously). Also, a lower t stat won't do anything without getting the fans changed to come on lower. Also, once you get it to run cooler, you'll sacarfice mpg for litttle, if any gain.

the fast intake manifold and tb are a waste, specially if your on a budget. They only show gains on big cams, big cubes and highly revved motors. Get your self a ls6 intake manifold for half the price if your a pre 2001 car.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:47 PM
TECH Resident

Don't spend the big dollars for the fast 90/90 combo. I think the 2000-2002's came with a LS6 intake which is a really good factory piece. Get a ported and polished throttle body for it along with a smooth bellow and lid/filter combo. Someone on here was selling ported/polished throttle bodies.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrandonDrecksage
cars make more power the hotter they are(not hotter air obviously). Also, a lower t stat won't do anything without getting the fans changed to come on lower. Also, once you get it to run cooler, you'll sacarfice mpg for litttle, if any gain.
What about the ability to combat knock retard by lowering the engine temp with a lower thermostat? Isn't this effective??
Old 09-19-2007, 01:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1_bad_TA
Don't spend the big dollars for the fast 90/90 combo. I think the 2000-2002's came with a LS6 intake which is a really good factory piece. Get a ported and polished throttle body for it along with a smooth bellow and lid/filter combo. Someone on here was selling ported/polished throttle bodies.
The 2001-2002s came with the LS6 intake.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on getting an ls1! if its going to be lightly modded then I would suggest:

LS6 intake manifold
ported stock TB
air lid (anyone works, dont buy a brand name)
Pacesetter coated headers, ory, then catback of your choice (no flowmaster though they suck flowwise)
2 point weld-in subframe connectors (UMI has them)
Adjustable panhard rod and Lower control arms (UMI has these as well)
New clutch (if a manual) or a 2800-3000 rpm stall (if you are an auto)
Good tires

That should make some good power for you and help out the suspension setup as well. For a clutch id recommend the ls7 clutch and ls2 flywheel combo, however i would look into the aluminum ls2 flywheel as i had the stock ls2 flywheel on my 98 z28 and it was def a heavy piece. Good luck with the modding though, you will become addicted!
Old 09-19-2007, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wht01ws6ta
What about the ability to combat knock retard by lowering the engine temp with a lower thermostat? Isn't this effective??
its a bandaid for a worse problem. On higher hp cars, I bet its better, but for the car this guy is looking to make, it won't have any benefit.