Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

quick question

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 06:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quick question

i just order a true trac and am going to be puting it in my moser 9in. now my queston is if i check the back lash on the old unit and replace with the new. if i dont touch the pinion gear and set the back lash to the old units back lash it should be good to go right? any help would be great.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

You are right on the backlash. The only other thing you need to remember is to get your preload right also. Not a problem at all, just dont throw some shims in there and if the backlash is the same think you are finished! LOL!

Get your preload set and then adjust for backlash from there.
btw... I will check the pattern before tear down and check again after assembly just for feeling better about it.

Originally Posted by styoung
i just order a true trac and am going to be puting it in my moser 9in. now my queston is if i check the back lash on the old unit and replace with the new. if i dont touch the pinion gear and set the back lash to the old units back lash it should be good to go right? any help would be great.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:02 PM
TECH Resident

ok what do you mean by the preload, the bearings? ive never set one up before.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:29 PM
TECH Resident

anyone else have any ideas?
Old 09-20-2007, 07:51 PM
TECH Resident

no one ?????
Old 09-21-2007, 05:47 AM
TECH Resident

anyone else, im hoping to do this tommrrow.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:42 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The pinion has a crush sleeve which preloads the bearings is my understanding. You have to torque the pinion nut properly in order to achieve the correct preload. It's one of those things where you must get it right the first time or the crush sleeve is no good and has to be replaced. Try a search on this because I've read about it somewhere on here.

If you're not sure what "preload" is referring to I think this job may be beyond the scope of your mechanical ability. It takes somebody who really knows what they're doing to get it right as well as the proper tools. If it's not done right, at best you'll get noise.....worst case you'll burn up expensive parts.
Old 09-22-2007, 12:04 AM
11 Second Club

tighten the pinion nut slowly very little at a time until all play in the pinion is just barely gone than gone all together. than measure with a torque wrench how much torque it takes to turn the pinion/pinion nut. 5 to 8 inch pounds for a 9 inch is spec. never loosen the nut if you have gone to far....ever. remove and replace squash collar and start over.
Old 09-23-2007, 11:04 AM
TECH Resident

i did the swap yesterday, i dont think you guy understood what i was asking. i didnt touch the pinion gear at all, all i did was swap the ring gear from one carrier to another. thats why i got confused with the bearing preload. i checked the back lash on the old posi and when i put the new one in set it the same. everything whent good i have the same gear wine as before. im very happy with the new truetrac, it operates very quiet and i cant even tell its there. ive noticed that the wheels skip a little on tight turn, is this normal?
Old 09-23-2007, 12:00 PM
Teching In

when i bought my old pickup it had a true trac in the front and it was dangerous to turn on the road.