Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TCS going crazy

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2003, 03:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default TCS going crazy

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum or not, but my TCS system has been switching itself off as I drive lately. When it does this, it won't allow me to switch it back on. After one or more trips (turning the engine off and back on) it will eventually go back to normal.

I've also had some really weird behavior with my turn signals lately. First the right one went out. Then the left one. Then the right one started working again. Then the right one quit and the left one started working again at the same time. Then they both went out again, then the right one came back. Now they're both out again.

At first, the right front bulb was not coming on. (Not even running lights) Then the left, etc... Currently neither signal works, and the left bulb is not coming on. Hazards blink, but I think only actually light up in the back. When I do the signal by hand just tapping the stick to make the arrow light up on the dash, the rear flashes. This is great if I'm not slowing down, but when I have the breaks on it doesn't do much without the flasher actually working.

I swear, I'm going to drive this thing into the lake if these electrical problems keep happening. Has anybody ever seen either of the two problems before? Should this be in some other forum?

Note: my high idle question was completely ignored but I'm wondering if it's related.
Old 06-10-2003, 04:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: TPS going crazy

When I first got my '01 I had the same problem with the TCS. I promptly took it back to the dealer and I was told that they reprogrammed the computer, replaced a transmission sensor and adjusted one of the wheel sensors. As to why, what and how I don't know.
Old 06-11-2003, 10:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, I can't take this back to the dealer. I didn't get it from one and don't have a warranty. Normally that doesn't bother me, but the wide variety of recent problems that all seem as though they are electrical in nature has got me worried.

Thanks for the tip, though. I've got my Haynes book and maybe it's got test procedures for some of those sensors. I'll check it out. If anybody has any clues, hints, thoughts, or hunches on the turn signal issue, I'd love to hear them.
Old 06-11-2003, 11:05 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you find out anything...let me know. Mine has done that since day 1 after i had my cam installed. The shop had no clue why it was happening. I have the Helms manuals and i couldnt find anything about it in there. Its really annoying for it to come on and off like that. (TCS)
Old 06-11-2003, 12:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, I'm at least glad I'm not the only person who's had this problem. Maybe this weekend (If it's not raining) I can look into it. I've got my handy-dandy multimeter ready and waiting.

Though I might attack the turn signals first since that's an actual safety issue.
Old 06-11-2003, 02:27 PM
12 Second Club

Mine has been intermittently doing the same thing (TCS light comes on, switch won't turn it off, power drops badly) since my heads/cam install.

I will post this thread in the thread I have going for this over in the "other" forum.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...hreadid=308503

Old 06-11-2003, 03:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

domo
Old 06-11-2003, 03:22 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

I'd be checking the relevant fuses.

Maybe you need to see if your battery is not holding a charge or something is up with your charging system?
Old 06-12-2003, 07:56 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds to me like there's a common electrical
problem and it might be under your dash where
the traction control "brain" resides. I'd look
for anything like a loose ground wire/screw, or
maybe somebody went and tapped the underdash
power wires and did a bad job etc. - like
twisting them back together and wrapping with electrical tape for that added quality touch.

The TCS will just give up and set the light if
any of several abnormalities are detected. And
little power burps can fool it this way I reckon.
But the turn signal weirdness is too coincidental
to be coincidental, I think.