Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

what's the perfect fit ??

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 11:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation what's the perfect fit ??

plz guys i have a 2001 camaro and i want to put a in-dash DVD/Navigation system but i want to fit it in dash

so plz guys what brands i can go with ??
never mind about the money
Old 11-04-2007, 02:31 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

There isn't one. You can get a flip-out screen model but the in-dash screens are double DIN and our dash has a 1.5 DIN opening. There have been several threads about modifying the trim panel to fit a double DIN head unit but it's not particularly easy. If you decide to do that, the Pioneer Avic-Z2 is probably one of the best.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are 1 DIN dvd/nav head units. JVC has one that I know of.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

The single din nav units aren't particularly attractive...

They stick out like an inch.

Someone needs to start selling fiberglass panels to fit the double din units...and since I don't have a 4th gen. I call not it
Old 11-04-2007, 07:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
There isn't one. You can get a flip-out screen model but the in-dash screens are double DIN and our dash has a 1.5 DIN opening. There have been several threads about modifying the trim panel to fit a double DIN head unit but it's not particularly easy. If you decide to do that, the Pioneer Avic-Z2 is probably one of the best.
The Z2 is nice, but the Z3 is half the price!
Old 11-04-2007, 07:50 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by phantomzer0
The Z2 is nice, but the Z3 is half the price!
i dont think there is a z3, do you mean D3?
Old 11-04-2007, 09:32 PM
TECH Resident

I personally prefer Eclipse 5510-6610. Pioneer-d3 for the price is great, Even the New alpine double din with blackbird is a great unit.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by bmnicolosi
i dont think there is a z3, do you mean D3?
Yeah, whoooppps
Old 11-05-2007, 02:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 87formy
The single din nav units aren't particularly attractive...

They stick out like an inch.

Someone needs to start selling fiberglass panels to fit the double din units...and since I don't have a 4th gen. I call not it
I would totally do it. I just don't know how much I would sell them for, and if they would fit everyones application. Those things take major time, and if orders started piling up I think it might get ugly. I'm going to seriously think about it.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:20 AM

thanks guys ...
Old 11-06-2007, 08:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

I would totally do it. I just don't know how much I would sell them for, and if they would fit everyones application. Those things take major time, and if orders started piling up I think it might get ugly. I'm going to seriously think about it.
Yeah, it might be a bit much to make them out fiberglass. I wonder if you could give the panel you did to a company. Have them make a mold and do plastic replicas for you. Then you could wrap them in vinyl for a sexy look and sell em for a bundle!
Old 11-06-2007, 12:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 87formy
Yeah, it might be a bit much to make them out fiberglass. I wonder if you could give the panel you did to a company. Have them make a mold and do plastic replicas for you. Then you could wrap them in vinyl for a sexy look and sell em for a bundle!
Thats a good idea! Where around here is a place that does that though? Middle of nowhere Illinois that is
Old 11-06-2007, 02:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thats a good idea! Where around here is a place that does that though? Middle of nowhere Illinois that is
I'd have to say just find a place in china and have 50 or so made for a few bucks Do a few google searches and see where they take you.

Then just sell em for what people are willing to pay. IMO somewhere around $100 for vinyl wrapped plastic would be a fair price to start at, maybe a little on the low end. I'm not really sure how hard it is to cover that piece in vinyl, seems a little tricky. If it is, then you can raise the price for the skill involved or whatever. You'd have to find out how much they cost you to make (cost of plastic, shipping, vinyl, time..) and see how much you can mark them up and still be fair.

If you got them made in black plastic (or spray paint them) you could offer a bare model at a reduced price for those who aren't incredibly worried about looks and make a quick buck.

That would be a cool thing to have someone make, reminds me of the whole HUmount thing for the single din units. Anyway, good luck if you decide to go through with it.