Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor damage...pics!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 09:57 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor damage...pics!

I know everyone loves carnage pics but this honestly isn't to bad.

(not my motor) but does this piston look like if it's salvagable or no?

and then of course this head needs a new valve/valve job and I think the motor could go back together.

Anyone care to chime in if the car needs a new piston/tear down or would it be ok just fixing the head, and smoothing out that piston a bit?
Old 12-10-2007, 10:53 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well the valve def has to come out. What I did on my motor is get a magnaflux kit from eastwood and you basically clean the piston up on the surface, spray the red dye from the kit on it, wipe it off and with another solvent it supposed to show any cracks via the dye.

IF you have any cracks the piston has to come out, and honestly if the piston took a hit, the rod may have taken some as well. also I didnt see any cyl wall pics, I assume the peice went out the ehxuast.

From the pic, reletive to the valve damage, I didnt see anything on the piston, the pic is a lil fuzzy.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:14 AM
TECH Regular

Cam phone pic and actually that is not the piston that goes to that valve lol...that piston looks like the electrode/ground strap came off the plug and bounced around in there for a while.

the piston withthe valve looks good, the other head (one that goes to that piston) just looks like it needs to be resurfaced and good to go. Again not my car so I don't know what the guy is going to do.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:47 AM
Internet Mechanic

Oh, I thought it was your car lol, the camera pics suck lol!
Old 12-10-2007, 12:46 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Oh, I thought it was your car lol, the camera pics suck lol!
Not my house all I had was my cam phone don't kill me! Ha ha.. My car is just a stock motor h/c/i car that runs 7.1 with a nitrous converter.
Old 12-10-2007, 02:51 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As is looks like the impact was close to the bottom of the cylinder I'd turn the motor over by hand so that cylinder recesses. Then, check out the cylinder wall to see if it's taken any damage.
Old 12-10-2007, 03:35 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
As is looks like the impact was close to the bottom of the cylinder I'd turn the motor over by hand so that cylinder recesses. Then, check out the cylinder wall to see if it's taken any damage.
That cylinder was not the one that the valve was torn up on. and both cylinders in question have been checked and are ok to me.
Old 12-10-2007, 06:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Phone photos might not be all that good, but it was obvious that the fault on the valve didn't line of with the scar on the piston. It's not even close. What about the piston the that valve DID come in contact with? Do you have that pic.?
Old 12-10-2007, 07:04 PM
TECH Resident

Why show us a pic of a completely unaffected piston. But anway. Valve has to go. As long as the cylinder walls are okay and there are no cracks in the piston I would leave it alone. Maybe take a die-grinder with a scotch bright pad to it to clean it up a bit. And im sorry but if a rod recieves damage via piston to valve contact. You need new rods anyway.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:52 PM
TECH Regular

better pics required
Old 12-11-2007, 08:40 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by eallanboggs
Phone photos might not be all that good, but it was obvious that the fault on the valve didn't line of with the scar on the piston. It's not even close. What about the piston the that valve DID come in contact with? Do you have that pic.?
That piston actually looks just fine, there is a very very very small place where it made contact. The pic of the piston I took was way worse than the piston with the bad valve. And as for the pics, I took those two and headed my *** home to see my girl. Not my car, not my problem lol.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:53 PM
TECH Regular

dam that sux
Old 12-11-2007, 08:42 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Looks like both valves were making contact with the pistons at the bottom of the valve reliefs. If it were me, I would pull the entire motor apart and cut away at the face of the piston until it cleans up then cut the same amount from the other pistons. I would also cut the valve pockets a little deeper as well because it kinda looks like it needs it. Replace the valve, check the others for straightness, and check the guides as well. Surface the head, just a cleanup, and put it back together and check and double check P-V!

Talk to your machinist/engine builder to discuss what to do, I'm just going off a poor camera phone picture.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:27 AM
Staging Lane

As long as the piston isn't cracked, you should be fine. I've been runnig for years with a beat up piston in my 73 vette. About 6 years ago, Dad droped a screw out the botom of the carborator and the piston shoved it up through the head. I had to replace the head, but never did anyting to the piston. I autocross the car and am not shy about beating on the car.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:33 AM
TECH Junkie

i would replace the piston,it could have a very small crack(top or bottom)side
as for the valve, well, its job is done!it's a paperweight now!